Gauging My Improvement (if any)

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I finally decided to play poker more seriously a few months ago even though I learned to play at about age 10. I've been doing freerolls maybe averaging about five a week. I've finished itm three times since I started. I was wondering if it's possible for that to happen because I was really lucky for those three or am I actually improving since I started? I know there are better ways to gauge improvement but I'm being lazy tonight.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I finally decided to play poker more seriously a few months ago even though I learned to play at about age 10. I've been doing freerolls maybe averaging about five a week. I've finished itm three times since I started. I was wondering if it's possible for that to happen because I was really lucky for those three or am I actually improving since I started? I know there are better ways to gauge improvement but I'm being lazy tonight.

Sounds good! congrats on the cashes. Few questions if you don't mind..

you say you have been averaging 5 a week, over what span of time?

You were there for the tourney's you cashed you have to rate yourself on how you feel you played.

I have played tournaments, won and felt I didn't play that great, vice versa I have won tournaments and felt I deserved the win. If you feel like you played well during the cashes then that's the reward for playing better.

Same with the fact that, on some of the "NON" cashes you may have played BETTER than some of the ones you cashed. It's unfortunate that we are not always rewarded monetarily for our good play, but over the long run you will be.

So in summary, it all comes down to each decision during the session if you made the right calls the right raises and the correct folds. you're improving if not you know what to work on.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments are naturally higher variance than cash games - and since you don't have to pay to enter them, it's hard to keep track of your actual winrates and performance.

Are you using a tracker, like pokertracker or holdem manager?

Are you tracking all the tournaments you enter and don't cash in?

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi , I think consistency is the way to judge growth, some self reflection on hand ranges vs position and any improvements there, I also feel it's very beneficial playing against better players than oneself if possible, and judge results from there too ,
I used to (and still do at times) set smaller goals in tourneys, reach certain levels/time played and try to improve and be consistent at that , for example play 2hrs every tourney , then improve on that , I feel a "rhythym" develops , and once that does then tweak accordingly ,
good poker and keep us posted :)

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too early to say. Just keep playing and studying and you will see growth.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really takes a while to judge how you are doing. I am not sure how many games it would take but most likely it would take a few years playing 5 games a week to really judge how you are doing due to the variance in tournament poker. I think you would be better as Memphisgrind said, ask yourself how did you play. You could be out 5 times in a row in the bottom 25% and play very good solid poker and the next game play badly and win. Just be honest with yourself and how you are playing. Ask yourself all the key questions. Examples Did I take my time and think out my plays? Did I make any bad calls or make a crazy size raise? Did I shove 3X pot on the flop because I did not want a call as an over card to my pocket jacks may come? Just be honest to yourself.

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds good! congrats on the cashes. Few questions if you don't mind..

you say you have been averaging 5 a week, over what span of time?

You were there for the tourney's you cashed you have to rate yourself on how you feel you played.

I have played tournaments, won and felt I didn't play that great, vice versa I have won tournaments and felt I deserved the win. If you feel like you played well during the cashes then that's the reward for playing better.

Same with the fact that, on some of the "NON" cashes you may have played BETTER than some of the ones you cashed. It's unfortunate that we are not always rewarded monetarily for our good play, but over the long run you will be.

So in summary, it all comes down to each decision during the session if you made the right calls the right raises and the correct folds. you're improving if not you know what to work on.

Thanks! To answer your questions:

I've been playing since Sept 20th so the time span is about 2.5 months.

It's tough to gauge how well I played due to the confidence spell that winning casts over me. That being said, I feel I played well but also got lucky when I made emotional (bad) decisions, Ex: "F this lucky donk! I'm calling his bluff shove with A-2o!" I stone-cold bluffed on the flop, got called, and sucked out runner runner flush or straight a couple times. On the good side I was doing a much better job folding. I folded a couple low flushes or bottom full house with two pair showing (used to be impossible for me to fold a boat). Maybe I was wrong on those but it got me itm in the long run.

I've definitely had my share of bad luck too. I once went at least 100 hands without being dealt a pair or I've lost every single pre-flop shove of the day when I had them dominated.

Maybe you can correct me on my assessments of what was good or bad.

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments are naturally higher variance than cash games - and since you don't have to pay to enter them, it's hard to keep track of your actual winrates and performance.

Are you using a tracker, like pokertracker or holdem manager?

Are you tracking all the tournaments you enter and don't cash in?

I haven't invested in those yet. I'm still in the freeroll/micro stage so I'm having a hard time justifying the investment. I don't have much money so I make zero deposits and won't buy a tracker unless it's with poker winnings. I'd love to have one though. They seem invaluable.

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi , I think consistency is the way to judge growth, some self reflection on hand ranges vs position and any improvements there, I also feel it's very beneficial playing against better players than oneself if possible, and judge results from there too ,
I used to (and still do at times) set smaller goals in tourneys, reach certain levels/time played and try to improve and be consistent at that , for example play 2hrs every tourney , then improve on that , I feel a "rhythym" develops , and once that does then tweak accordingly ,
good poker and keep us posted :)

Good advice, thanks. Setting smaller goals seems great instead of just having "win a freeroll" as my first one.

I could really use a better understanding of things like ranges or pot equity beyond just checking how cheap it is to stay in vs pot size.

I think I should be writing notes on players as I go. It will give me a much clearer picture about their patterns or if they even have any.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks! To answer your questions:

I've been playing since Sept 20th so the time span is about 2.5 months.

It's tough to gauge how well I played due to the confidence spell that winning casts over me. That being said, I feel I played well but also got lucky when I made emotional (bad) decisions, Ex: "F this lucky donk! I'm calling his bluff shove with A-2o!" I stone-cold bluffed on the flop, got called, and sucked out runner runner flush or straight a couple times. On the good side I was doing a much better job folding. I folded a couple low flushes or bottom full house with two pair showing (used to be impossible for me to fold a boat). Maybe I was wrong on those but it got me itm in the long run.

I've definitely had my share of bad luck too. I once went at least 100 hands without being dealt a pair or I've lost every single pre-flop shove of the day when I had them dominated.

Maybe you can correct me on my assessments of what was good or bad.

Yea, basically a mix of things, but in general if you're ahead when the money gets in you're doing well. Emotion is bad for poker but it's apart of us all. You will know when you're actually improving because you will recognize an edge that you didn't know was there before. You will feel confident in the fact that you're one of the better players at each table you play at. Over time if you're studying and putting in volume the results will follow.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing poker for about 5 years and still have not achieved any significant achievements here, I know that this is just my laziness, because you can get a lot of knowledge on the net. To judge the achievements of the freerolls is very difficult, since it is a completely different game than for money. But for the money it will not be easier for sure. Since losing your money is always more difficult than not winning a freeroll.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't invested in those yet. I'm still in the freeroll/micro stage so I'm having a hard time justifying the investment. I don't have much money so I make zero deposits and won't buy a tracker unless it's with poker winnings. I'd love to have one though. They seem invaluable.

Anybody you could ask for xmas? :D

I only have micro holden pt4 - it was $60, but I figure the sooner I get it, the sooner I can start building up stats for myself to analyze.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer is in collecting more data and apply statistics.
1) Remember you cannot change the cards you get, nor the opponents.
2) All you can influence is the bets/folds.
The net result is reached when combining 1) and 2).
you wnat to know 2). This means you need to remove 1) from the known results.

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody you could ask for xmas? :D

I only have micro holden pt4 - it was $60, but I figure the sooner I get it, the sooner I can start building up stats for myself to analyze.

Reason I'm broke is because I spent all my money on study materials for a certification to change careers. I'm asking for the test fee ($97) for xmas. Ridiculous I know. I'll keep that one in mind though.

Can you or anybody else recommend a good hand chart? I'm looking at one right now that tells me to fold AQ from early position when everybody before me folded. That seems tighter than a nun's a...yeah.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reason I'm broke is because I spent all my money on study materials for a certification to change careers. I'm asking for the test fee ($97) for xmas. Ridiculous I know. I'll keep that one in mind though.

Can you or anybody else recommend a good hand chart? I'm looking at one right now that tells me to fold AQ from early position when everybody before me folded. That seems tighter than a nun's a...yeah.

Upswing will give you free ones if you make an account - I'm working off their MTT ranges

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Upswing will give you free ones if you make an account - I'm working off their MTT ranges

Awesome! I’m all over that. Thanks.

Tonight I’m grinding. My first goal is making it to the first break while never shoving and following my hand chart exactly. Discipline is an absolute must. It’s crazy hard for me to fold jacks+ if somebody shoves in the first round. I want to knock those goofballs out so bad but it’s just not worth it. Been burned with garbage way too many times.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
what is your winrate in bb per 100 hands?