Friendly Tournament

K

KierranLS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

So this weekend me and a some friends are having a few drinks and a poker tourney. As most of my mates aren't as invested in the game as I am, I'm just wondering what sort of approach should I take?

Do you guys change your strategy when playing 'less experienced' players? Or do you just stick to your normal game plan?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Inexperienced players play mostly two styles: ultra tight or ultra loose. Both are exploitable. If you feel like they are tight, abuse position and c-bets as you will win most hands before the turn. If they are playing too loose, wait until you have a monster and let them lead the bets. If you make them believe you're really struggling to call their bets, they will keep pushing and will eventually go all in at the river, that's when you bust them with a insta call with the best hand.

There will probably be those two kinds of players in your game, so have patience and explore your position. Also, try to play post flop, because there is where your edge over them will be profitable.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your friends are there to have a good time, let them have a good time. They might take weird lines, make interesting decisions, etc, and that's ok. Don't table coach them, don't berate their bad plays, etc.

Congratulate them on their hands. Agree if they say something about being unlucky, lucky. Laugh along if you get teased for being the table "pro". Laugh louder if you get beat (and teased) when a friend beats the "pro" at their own game.

Definitely play your best but make it enjoyable for everyone.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I try to play as usual, regardless of whether they are inexperienced players, I do not see the need to change my game, in your case it was a game between friends, in that case I could think about changing the way of my game, but the custom to apply the knowledge I think I would overcome anything lol, of course trying not to be so hateful with my game and much more if it is my friends who do not have much knowledge or experience

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea careful of junk two pairs getting their on river

Ebsonip

Ebsonip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no way to play normally, they usually raise a lot on the Flop and it is difficult to play normally.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.
I'm just wondering what sort of approach should I take?

Play your A game - show your friends whos the master of poker :D
They propably know you play poker? so do NOT finish last or
they will pound you with it untill next pokernight :p

Best advice - drink less alcohol than you friends ;)

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

So this weekend me and a some friends are having a few drinks and a poker tourney. As most of my mates aren't as invested in the game as I am, I'm just wondering what sort of approach should I take?

Do you guys change your strategy when playing 'less experienced' players? Or do you just stick to your normal game plan?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
there are two possible kind of poeple who begin at this game. One will be loose and you should play with them with really good hand and don't try to bluff them. Also the other will be tight and so you have to make more 3 Bet and be more agressive

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This depends if you value money over friendship,,, Try and have fun. :beer:

K

KierranLS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the most important thing is to have a good time with your friends.normally when everyone drinks alcohol and plays at poker. it creates a good atmosphere and he always has 1 or 2 player who wants to play aggressive. It's important to play your style of play and adapt to your opponents' style.

kokoalexkoko

kokoalexkoko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple yers ago i see on pokerstars function to create your own tournament with password. There you can play with your friends)

K

KierranLS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the most important thing is to have a good time with your friends.normally when everyone drinks alcohol and plays at poker. it creates a good atmosphere and he always has 1 or 2 player who wants to play aggressive. It's important to play your style of play and adapt to your opponents' style.

Yes of course! I am really looking forward to it. I don't tend to play Poker with my friends, I normally just play online.

Let the bad beats commence!