Are freerolls a realistic way to learn Tournament poker?

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am struggling with tilt, I am spewing away my money every month and I just don't want to do that anymore. So, I was wanting to know is are free rolls a good way to learn to control tilt before using your own hard earned money or is that just a waste of time. I want to learn poker and get better at it but i continue to waste my money. Would like to know what you think thanks

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played only freerolls to learn poker, I also played them to start a bank rolls, at poker sites, it works. I refuse to put my own money in ,until I have large bank rolls from freerolls or playing in buy in tournaments after increasing your money as you play. That's how I have done my withdraws at any sites. But playing in bigger buy in tournaments players are better ,I find but still need to have luck as well. All my money I have won, started from freerolls, played $1-$5 buy ins and cashed it some money until it was worth depositing to withdraw.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, freerolls are really bad to learn MTT but it's definitely good for 2 other things.
1) build your BR from zero
2) Tilt management (very good to learn how to control your emotion)

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages of a freeroll everything is goes. You can see how players pay all-in with nothing and win. If you can survive the ITM then there you can learn poker. However, the higher the buy-in, the better the overall level of players.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, freerolls are really bad to learn MTT but it's definitely good for 2 other things.
1) build your BR from zero

2) Tilt management (very good to learn how to control your emotion)

I agree. In freerolls you see more retarded play than anywhere else and therefore also the most insane bad beats. So its a good place to learn to control your emotions and play against really bad players, but not so much for learning to beat more competent players. This is even more the case, because most freerolls have a very fast structure, which quickly turn them into a shove-fest.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Freerolls are a good way to build a starting bankroll and you can start playing in more serious tournaments.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hardly freeroll game will help improve your game! It is better to be engaged in the theory of poker!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they are a great place to start. Honestly, if you are playing against bad players I don't see why you shouldn't do better than against good players.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I don't think it helps you learn to play poker in freerolls.
It is true that CC freerolls have a certain level unlike the other freerolls, but they are still freerolls.
Being free tournaments, people do not mind doing push 100bb, with A2o.

When you play freerolls, you acquire many bad habits, which will then make you make mistakes in real money tournaments.

The best way to improve is for someone to tell you your mistakes, you can raise your hands to the CC hand player, and then in the forum to analyze hands, and there they will give you valuable advice.
https://www.cardschat.com/hand-converter.php

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am struggling with tilt, I am spewing away my money every month and I just don't want to do that anymore. So, I was wanting to know is are free rolls a good way to learn to control tilt before using your own hard earned money or is that just a waste of time. I want to learn poker and get better at it but i continue to waste my money. Would like to know what you think thanks

Its kind of a double edged sword. Of course its fantastic to learn the game with no risk and a little reward.

The issue is that a lot of people don't know what they're doing so it can make things a bit unpredictable. Then you have people who will be playing 2-3 other things and just going all in every hand because it's not important to them. Just kind of have to hang back for a little and get a scope of the table.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are god to start your poker journey, to make some small cash and get to know poker rooms. I play them a lot, but only helpful was CC freerolls. I learned a lot there, watching how others play, and what kind of strategy’s they apply. I find lots of different players profiles and playing with them always trying to figure out how to beat them( not really successfuly [emoji23])My point is, yes you should play all freerolls, but only on the CC freerolls will learn some thing new, every time you play. And of course they don’t cost you anything, but you can get lots from it

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are having trouble, then play for lower stakes. Every tournament you play is more experience. So, online is good practice.

R

rhv85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess they can be, but some players dont take it serious and play funky

P

Psycho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can learn some things, but typically the quality of play is very low in freerolls and you don't want to learn bad habits.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free rolls can help, as long as you are patient and not engage in the early all in frenzy that occurs. Once you weather the storm and get to the mid rounds people are starting to settle in and majority of the all in on anything group is gone. Just remember that it is still a free roll and people realize they have no money involved. The closer it gets to in the money, the better people start playing because nobody wants to sit for 2+ hours for nothing at that point. Good luck to you!

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think people who is playing freerolls have different behavior. When you play proper MTT tournament most of the people not playing like crazy and going all in with random hand

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not use freerolls to learn tournament poker. People play much differently when their own money is on the line. It is a completely different game.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Cards Chat freerolls do have a much higher standard of play overall than almost all others as has been said above, but it won't help much unless you go over your hands later and work out how to do better in that kind of situation next time. Studying your hand history REALLY IS so vital to improving our results. GL in your journey :)

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From my perspektive it is, especially for you OP.
You admit having tilt issues and spewing money in
games that you are most probably either Not skilled enough to beat yet or not bankrolled for or really unlucky.

Two of those three problems you can solve playing freerolls, first opposition will be less skilled and you can start learning BR-management on the fly.

Really start analysing your play and studying Poker here. Concert hands you're unsure about and you'll find help here.

Last edited:
Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
There is a saying that says "The practice makes the teacher" so if freerolls are played seriously, something can be learned ... although I agree that you will not become a professional playing only freerolls ... But from your own experience freerolls have helped me build my bankroll

L

Luvulongtime99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe the basics but I feel if you play a bunch it can give you many bad habits and leaks in your game.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can definitely learn the basics of tournament play and structure playing free rolls and micro stakes. Obviously there are players that do not take it seriously and will call or bet any 2 cards. You have to be realistic and know that this type of play isn’t standard in many bigger buy in circumstances. Although I have seen some ridiculous plays in mid stakes (I usually play no higher than $55 online) tournaments as well. The more you play poker tournaments the better you will become. Practice by playing and studying. You can apply whatever you learned through your studies in free rolls and ultimately the lesson is cheap if unsuccessful.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
You will not observe all the game theory playing them lets say, but it could help you with some other stuff like tilt. There are bad beats in them more so then in regular MTTs due to their free nature, so it could be a good place to learn to deal with those and keep on trucking.

P

pokerdebit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to control yourself
Tilting is mostly because of emotions getting in the way

Control yourself at the freerolls
And then play buy-in games

Freerolls are a good way to experiment also

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Builds Bankroll but doesn't necessarily teach you poker

In the early stages of a freeroll everything is goes. You can see how players pay all-in with nothing and win. If you can survive the ITM then there you can learn poker. However, the higher the buy-in, the better the overall level of players.

I agree with this.

Freerolls are a good way to build your bankroll only because usually so many places pay, even if low amounts. However, there are too many bingo players in freerolls. Too many people pushing against good cards with crap and getting 'lucky'. In higher stakes games, most of these cards will never even get played.

Once you move to micro buy-in games it can be hit or miss because you will still see some of the bingo players. You need to go more towards the 'high end' of the micro category to try to eliminate even more of them.

My advice, use freerolls to build your bankroll to start being able to play micro buy-ins.

Freeroll Passwords