Freeroll Treatment?

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get in a High Buy-In Tourney the focus is on! Why are freerolls taken for granted? Before the Coronavirus ordeal, I used to take my wife and kids camping and generally we visited State Parks. Well, one state we visited, the State Parks there had no entry fee for day-use (in Texas there is a fee for day use, unless you have an annual membership card; which we do.). Those parks left a Sad taste on our trip. The parks were sadly abused by those allowed free entry (vandalism) and the Parks, in their Natural state, were outrageously Beautiful. Depressing or frivolous? Depressing because of the lack of appreciation and Frivolous because of the impact that Free entry has on those that are really grateful and are really trying to win. You may be a Pro and maybe you are not, but for those that do not see themselves as Pros, views like this simple one is what helps start shaping and bringing out that Pro in them. Freerolls are little treasures that, like a garden, can grow; and there is no limit as to how high that treasure can grow. It is up to you to nurture it. On your next Freeroll, treat it like a Real Pro would (one hand at a time). GOD bless you. Now, go get them!

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Could not agree more!

People are going to play they way they want- their prerogative.

However, I am concentrating on free rolls almost exclusively at the moment (love playing them and MTTs in general). When I play I take the game seriously (yet have fun) but I've hit a number of tables recently where it was bordering on a complete waste of time the play was so spewing and idiotic.

As another poster and CC free roll member recently pointed out virtually any and every free roll (yes including 'invitation only' ones) have been degrading especially since the Covid -19 boosted online traffic.

I am just trying to chill about it all and presume in a month or so things will revert back to a more even keel. Famous last words.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When own money are not endangered poker players tend to play more loose and this is something which can not be avoided. I try to treat freerolls like normal MTTs which i play but it does not always work. If i play normal MTT and freeroll simultaneously i am more focused on the MTT as my own money are on stake there. If i get home after few beers with friends on weekend and want to play poker i will not play normal MTT as this is bad for my bankroll but i may play freeroll. Saying that even in these situations i never abuse other players or slow the game or something like that. I just play sub optimal.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many topics on freerolls here on CC, and I think that is never enough of them. We all have our reasons why we play them. Someone plays for fun, someone play to make some bankroll.... etc. I agree that should be respected like you put your own money, and played accordingly. I treat them like treasure and make no difference between buy in and freeroll tournament.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Freerolls are a great opportunity to increase your bankroll, improve your skills and gain experience for free. Regardless of the tournament, I always try to be patient, analyze my game and improve my skills.

P

pzp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Especially in this quarantine times, I am playing a lot more freerolls that I used to. Have already won a few bucks hahahaha. It is good for practicing without any pressure, but you should still concentrate and play for real.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Enjoying Freerolls

After a year and a half of playing the micro SNGs on ignition, I finally made it to their chrome tier and qualify for their weekly $2,500 freerolls.
Bombed out on the first one last week.
Played my second one yesterday and made it to the coin. With $2,500 a week that means there is $130,000 up for grabs during the course of the year. I fully expect to bring more of that home to papa. Sooner or later I'm sure I'll make it to the final table. Done it before. Don't see why I can't do it again. The freerolls seem to be more fun and less stressful because there is no money invested.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls kill poker! This is my deep conviction, based on my own experience. There’s one strategy at the very beginning to fill up a huge stack. With your monster hands nobody is considered to be aces and kings call with any garbage! And what’s the most annoying, they move with an enviable regularity!

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls kill poker! This is my deep conviction, based on my own experience. There’s one strategy at the very beginning to fill up a huge stack. With your monster hands nobody is considered to be aces and kings call with any garbage! And what’s the most annoying, they move with an enviable regularity!
Freerolls like any other type of tournament have the right to exist, just each type has its own strategy ( for example, in a knockout tournament, a player with a good bounty and a small stack is closed on any 2 cards) and this is normal!

N

ndarragh91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy the odd freeroll and take it seriously, but you're always guaranteed to come up against some idiots. Just be patient and they will eventually get caught out.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've said it before and I'm sure I'll end up saying it again at some point. Playing freerolls with a devil may care attitude is teaching yourself bad habits. If you condition yourself to coin flip with small pairs or weak aces, then that's likely the way you're going to play all tournaments. Even if you are able to focus on playing a different way at times, you will have to maintain that focus. As soon as you lose focus you likely revert to the way you've subconsciously conditioned yourself to play. It may only be for a moment. But it may only take a moment. It might only take one hand, one loose call, one lost coin flip to cost you all of your chips or cripple your stack. Afterwards, you'll probably be asking yourself what you were thinking in that moment, without realizing that you were only doing what you conditioned yourself to do. That's why I try to stay focused and play my best in every game, so I'm not teaching myself bad habits.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I agree for the general freerolls that aren't password protected, but if you are in the CardsChat FRC, you will find that the caliber of play is better. Of course, you might run into the odd person that wants to run up a giant stack while playing with higher variance, but sometimes you'll find that. Play good solid poker, make good decisions, and the results should reflect that for the most part.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been playing for 17 years online. Still mostly freerolls. Never going to stop playing freerolls.

If you're looking on making some kind of living from the game then go ahead and buy in. For me I will stick with what I know.

Every penny I've spent on poker has come from freeroll winnings.

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I get in a High Buy-In Tourney the focus is on! Why are Freerolls taken for granted? Before the Coronavirus ordeal, I used to take my wife and kids camping and generally we visited State Parks. Well, one state we visited, the State Parks there had no entry fee for day-use (in Texas there is a fee for day use, unless you have an annual membership card; which we do.). Those parks left a Sad taste on our trip. The parks were sadly abused by those allowed free entry (vandalism) and the Parks, in their Natural state, were outrageously Beautiful. Depressing or frivolous? Depressing because of the lack of appreciation and Frivolous because of the impact that Free entry has on those that are really grateful and are really trying to win. You may be a Pro and maybe you are not, but for those that do not see themselves as Pros, views like this simple one is what helps start shaping and bringing out that Pro in them. Freerolls are little treasures that, like a garden, can grow; and there is no limit as to how high that treasure can grow. It is up to you to nurture it. On your next Freeroll, treat it like a Real Pro would (one hand at a time). GOD bless you. Now, go get them!

Love the analogy with parks - yes I agree, when people see things as FREE they devalue them and that is such a shame:mad:

As far as poker is concerned, I did (and still do ) my training in freerolls, built my bankroll from them and feel that if I can survive there, I can survive anywhere :D

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are a great chance to make a pot for players who don't want their money in poker.. But playing Freeroll with 5,000+ players is a horror and a nightmare :) It's true :) no tactics, no strategy, no respect! :)) The Brazilian brothers understand me )))) I may have lost my luck, but 5000+ player freerolls are not for me... impossible to win I'm sorry: (, but freerolls are different! :) when a Freeroll for 3000 players and a Freeroll for 300 people, there is a huge difference in prize places and the level of the game (if we talk about the most popular poker rooms)

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bank Builder

When own money are not endangered poker players tend to play more loose and this is something which can not be avoided. I try to treat freerolls like normal MTTs which i play but it does not always work. If i play normal MTT and freeroll simultaneously i am more focused on the MTT as my own money are on stake there. If i get home after few beers with friends on weekend and want to play poker i will not play normal MTT as this is bad for my bankroll but i may play freeroll. Saying that even in these situations i never abuse other players or slow the game or something like that. I just play sub optimal.
Neptune, by your Honest response, I see you with the ability to Build a Nice Bankroll. Keep up the Good Spirit and Thank you for you inadvertent advice. GOD bless you.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seeing Through The Haze!

Could not agree more!

People are going to play they way they want- their prerogative.

However, I am concentrating on free rolls almost exclusively at the moment (love playing them and MTTs in general). When I play I take the game seriously (yet have fun) but I've hit a number of tables recently where it was bordering on a complete waste of time the play was so spewing and idiotic.

As another poster and CC free roll member recently pointed out virtually any and every free roll (yes including 'invitation only' ones) have been degrading especially since the Covid -19 boosted online traffic.

I am just trying to chill about it all and presume in a month or so things will revert back to a more even keel. Famous last words.
There is nothing wrong with your game or views. Some players on freerolls as well as buy-ins can be degrading, rude and downright disrespectful. Don't let other disrespectful players alter your playing schedule. You stick to your Guns get out there IGNORE the ignorance (don't respond to it), get to the Pay and Smile to your self and the enjoyment of the Game. You can do it! Don't let someone else, display of Ignorance, Discourage you. Some (many) players have no real love for the Game, nor do they respect the Game and if they don't have love or respect for the game they won't have it for People. You do what is Right, enjoy your game. Don't respond to hate, Smile on Love and be Happy! GOD bless you.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing For Keeps On Freerolls

Especially in this quarantine times, I am playing a lot more freerolls that I used to. Have already won a few bucks hahahaha. It is good for practicing without any pressure, but you should still concentrate and play for real.
Yes, the traffic on Freerolls can be something (beginners, pros, and a bunch of haters). The idea is knowing that the Poker Traffic attracts many, especially Haters with Vulgar non-stop insults should Not detour you and Your Goals. I had one that was just Horrible to me and had me picked-out for target practice it seemed. I had been playing for about 3 to 4 hours and had just made the pay, Mr. Hate raised on my blind. Several called, then Mr. Hate went all-in and I only had a 5-2 unsuited and I was tired and ready to call it a day so I called and hit a strait and Mr. Hate was out with 3-2 unsuited. poker strategy does NOT have to be Goading, Insulting and downright Hateful! Use those Freerolls for Improvement in the areas that you know you are weak and practice when to be aggressive and when to be cautious; A Chain is only as strong as its Weakest Link. Ignore the hate, be happy and keep your composure; you, too, are a Champ! GOD bless you all.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll Attitude!

After a year and a half of playing the micro SNGs on Ignition, I finally made it to their chrome tier and qualify for their weekly $2,500 freerolls.
Bombed out on the first one last week.
Played my second one yesterday and made it to the coin. With $2,500 a week that means there is $130,000 up for grabs during the course of the year. I fully expect to bring more of that home to papa. Sooner or later I'm sure I'll make it to the final table. Done it before. Don't see why I can't do it again. The freerolls seem to be more fun and less stressful because there is no money invested.
I love your Attitude and have a Big Notion that you are a Successful player. I have heard many feeling Defeated and it irks me because they do not have to feel defeated. I am glad that you have a great attitude and those that view your post will be encouraged to Charge into a game (even after a loss, you don't have to be discouraged if you re-play your game and look for your errors of judgement and choices). GOD bless you all.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Expectations!

No offense intended A fox 666, but maybe your disappointments are deriving from your expectations Not being met. Ask yourself this, " Do ALL drivers with State Driver's License drive safe and follow the speed limit and abide by the conditions of the Law?" If you Expect them to, then you have set yourself up for disappointment. Same thing with Poker (Freerolls or Cash games alike). I, for one, do Not follow the rules according to Pros. You eventually are narrowed down and pinned in by your own Expectational Rules and you become an easy target. Loosen up and first off, do not set out to Prove Nothing. Enjoy the game and relax while you are playing. Simple comments like, " nh (nice hand)" and responses like, "ty (thank you)". These small, Significant gestures remind you that there is a Human Being at the other end. We do not know what everyone is going through and maybe Poker is a Vent place or maybe it is their way of relaxing after having a very rough time and life. Be considerate and relax and let the Frustration melt away from you. You are going to be very successful. GOD bless you all.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nice post, me likey!

As with anything, you get out what you put in.

Life is, absolutely, what you make of it.

If we didn't have the mindless vandalism, would we be able to appreciate those who tend and nurture the beauty? Or would that then be neutral?

~~~~~~~~~​

Tip for Alberto:

Click the 'multi-quote' button on all posts you wish to reply to, then on the last post, click 'quote & reply'..

This will now bring up all of the quotes, in one post, and you can type your replies in between each.

This is far superior to five separate posts from the same author in a row, looks better and saves a moderator the effort of having to merge them all.

Regards. :wink:

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love your Attitude and have a Big Notion that you are a Successful player. I have heard many feeling Defeated and it irks me because they do not have to feel defeated. I am glad that you have a great attitude and those that view your post will be encouraged to Charge into a game (even after a loss, you don't have to be discouraged if you re-play your game and look for your errors of judgement and choices). GOD bless you all.

Thank you, Alberto, and well said. Currently, I'm in the black on all three sites I play on, so I guess I am successful. Doesn't mean they will always stay in the black, but hey, that's poker and with poker comes variance. I placed in the coin for the first time in a CC freeroll. My third game since I joined the group. I'm having a good time with this group which makes it all the more enjoyable.

I've always subscribed to the philosophy that it take three things to be successful, aptitude, opportunity and motivation.

As far as aptitude goes, there are plenty of books out there. I'm currently writing one myself, not because I think of myself as a great player, but because I enjoy writing and it's just in my nature to want to write about something I care about. CardsChat even has a good lesson plan on playing Hold'em. Utilize them. Utilize everything you can get your hands on.

As far as opportunity goes, there's plenty of that in the form of poker sites, games and freerolls.

As far as motivation goes, I like to think of it like it's a salesman's job. You're not going to close on everyone, but if you enjoy what you're doing then you're going to close on enough potential clients to get the job done.

Gotta go, take care

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free rolls are a gift, you get to play for free...and basically the luckier you are then you increase your chances to make a little money and move up to micro tourneys. At every level you are going to find people take it just a little more serious, that being said there are still people who just are kamikazi style players until you get to major high buy in tournements.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Teacher!

Nice post, me likey!

As with anything, you get out what you put in.

Life is, absolutely, what you make of it.

If we didn't have the mindless vandalism, would we be able to appreciate those who tend and nurture the beauty? Or would that then be neutral?

~~~~~~~~~​

Tip for Alberto:

Click the 'multi-quote' button on all posts you wish to reply to, then on the last post, click 'quote & reply'..

This will now bring up all of the quotes, in one post, and you can type your replies in between each.

This is far superior to five separate posts from the same author in a row, looks better and saves a moderator the effort of having to merge them all.

Regards. :wink:
Thank you so, so much! As you can see, I am not that bright on todays technology. I am going to attempt your advice. And, I am sorry that it is more work on Our Administrators. Again, thank you so much! GOD bless you.