freeroll strategy

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how do you think, what is the best strategy to play freerolls with crasy blinds structure (such as 888 have), to play agressive or just go all-in with good cards?
or any other variant

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't played on 888, but I wrote a post about opening freerolls a little while ago. Basically, I start off relatively tight against those who like to shove early on (only calling with AA, KK, QQ, and AKs). I stick to my hand range for regular raises other than that. This range varies from player to player, of course. So you need to define what works for you, and from which positions, and stick to it. Discipline is key.

Once you've built a stack, you can open up a little bit more, but not too much. The pre-flop all-in confrontation will remain a threat throughout the game. So, you still need to make wise decisions. And I don't recommend getting into multi-handed all-in hands. Try to avoid those if you can.

Anyway, freerolls are tough. Arguable tougher than buy-in tournaments. So, you just have to keep playing and do your best. Good luck to you! :)

A

akjordan16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls

Freerolls are awesome for improving your game, specially when places paid are limited in a massive field.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of these freerolls on 888 that have the Hyper-Turbo 3min. blind Structure.

I feel the best way to approach these games is to play tight at the start and try to make a few chips, avoid all multiway pots when people are putting in lots of chips, if you can get in cheap with a speculative hand in a multiway pot, this can pay off well also.

After the first 20-30 mins, it will be very difficult to stay above 10-15bb and it is better to switch to a push/fold style. The players tend to be very loose, so push very tight range from earlier positions. You want to avoid multiway all in at all costs.

If you can survive long enough to get to the 5-6 digit blind levels, it is just a crap shoot. Every pot is worth a ton of chip from blinds and antes, amd one big pot during this stage can bring you straight to the top. You pretty much just have to pray for a good hand or a good spot before the blinds eat your stack up.

Use your timebank wisely, tanking in this structure can be quite beneficial as people are busting out at an extremely fast rate. Tanking for 30 seconds you could see several hundred people bust out in such a small time.

Ive made the final table a few times in these very large field freerolls, but have never captured the victory.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its kinda bingo to start with, but then protect your stack.

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of the keys to freerolls is you need to manage and protect your chips--most are reckless you just need to be a good manager of chips

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take advantage of the fish in the first 20minutes of the freeroll. Call there donkish allins with premium hands and get yourself a decent stack. Then start protecting but look for more oppurtunities with premium hands to stack off of possible left over fish for the next 35minutes. After your first break most the fish are gone and it's time play solid ABC poker

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see 888 ones are push/call practice most of the time.

But when running deep into a tournament where average stack may just be 3BB, the dynamics will be very interesting.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice not to play at the very beginning very widely and to start studying opponents.
as the stack grows and depending on the position, analyze the range for each situation
Avoid playing preflop with marginal hands

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
888 freeroll are pretty different to other freerolls, try to steal blinds from weak players. that the best way to play those freeroll.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
hit them hard, as much as you can and play hard.
What can you lose, it's freeroll.
Usually you will find quite a few players going all in with any 2 cards, but if you're lucky you can get it.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls, 888poker, you have to play them aggressively, the blinds go up so fast, you have to steal everything you can, I try to double your stack as soon as possible.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and yet the freeroll at the very beginning looks like a lottery.
At first many people do not think about which card to fight at the table in order to be in the black and not fly out at once)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
in the freerolls I usually play very calm at the start, I am more selective with the cards I play, that means I try to play with good cards only since most of the freerolls in 888poker many of the players are aggressive with any card from the start of the tournament, most of those tournaments are fast so you should try to make quick decisions and as accurate as possible to be able to continue in the tournament, but you can not always play with very good cards, sometimes those cards can fail, follow your instinct

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I always try to play with good cards from the beginning, trying to be careful not to be eliminated, then if I try to take a little more risk if the blinds are high and I have few chips, if I have a lot of chips, more aggressive game and pressing a bit more

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think at 888 besides the all-in strategy there is nothing more to come up with. Around is full of maniacs who are using rebuys ready to go all-in with any two cards. A freeroll little by little ceases to be so in essence and requires considerable investment.

T

Taijae88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing freerolls for years and constantly change my strategy.

If the tournament has a smaller prize pool I will typically play extremely aggressive early to build a large chip lead.However, I love to bluff in freerolls with a larger prize pool because players typically play tight. Additionally, I have started to play more hands based on table position and less hands based solely on the cards being suited, which has generated more success.

K

kl3opatra

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing freerolls for years and constantly change my strategy.

S

santa888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone. This is my first forum post. On this topic want say only one thing that aggressive strategy in the there is no unambiguously seats on early his stage until there is no good bankroll. You can play loose-aggressively in different stages of the tournament. But for this we need to consider what hands you open the blinds and what to go Alin.

P

pabloleonel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
most fish are you with very bad cards, but it is necessary for me to be conservative at first win the boats when you see insurance until you reach the bubble, it is not complicated but it involves a lot of concentration

N

Newstyle_1704

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time when I play freerolls I try to play aggressively at an early stage, then calm my game a little
Approaching the top places, I again start playing aggressively in order to fill myself with a big stack, which I will be comfortable playing in the final stage

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. This is my first forum post. On this topic want say only one thing that aggressive strategy in the there is no unambiguously seats on early his stage until there is no good bankroll. You can play loose-aggressively in different stages of the tournament. But for this we need to consider what hands you open the blinds and what to go Alin.
thanks for your reply, and welcome to the furum! it's really great community!!!

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take a different approach to freerolls than I do buy ins. I wait for good hands more in buy in tournaments. I tend to leave caution to the wind on freerolls that don't have good prizes to win. I play the cc freerolls like I would a buy in though.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 888 freerolls are really difficult to play because of the all in players.I gave up.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament to go VABank with good cards that would fill a stack. Then play as for money.