Freeroll strategy

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your best strategy in freerolls? Do you start with a few allins in order to become chip leader and control the table? Or you play normal, waiting for good cards, sensing the opponents and so on?

I

Igor Augusto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Be tight and trap the donks

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play ultra tight, but be ready to accept calculated risks like opportunities to double up

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to look for players that are weak-tight, so I can bully them out of pots. Other than that, being tight-aggressive is the thing to do. A lot of players in freerolls tend to call frequently so yeah... so long as you know how to fend off loose-passive and weak-tight players, you're already good to go.

bellykiller

bellykiller

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your best strategy in freerolls? Do you start with a few allins in order to become chip leader and control the table? Or you play normal, waiting for good cards, sensing the opponents and so on?

Well if it's frequent freeroll that you're trying to win AA, KK, QQ, AK is obvious shove to double and triple up. Definitely reason to get in pre flop with maniacs to win multiway flops. Rest as guy above mentioned staying tight aggressive is way to go don't suggest yourself with average stack keep them in mind but try to be selective pre flop with hands that you shove or call big raises with. Other than that if suggest when you double up to play very small ball poker negraneu is famous for. Try seeing a lot of flops that you can see cheap and hit hard aggressive once hit. Fish is know for being fish... calling stations on every occasion. Try using it to your advantage build pots aggressive and let them overpay. Most common fish mistake let them draw 30 percent and make them pay 120 percent for it. That's your edge for long run. Hope it helps a little bit. Remember too when you have monster hand and 5 way pot staying alive before cashing might be smarter than stab at chip leading. Good luck

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I played freerolls, I've seen all sorts of players. I've tried all kinds of techniques, but when the book does not help you ... it's hard. Many players are all-in with all kinds of cards. Many do not know about the pokerstars leagues. At the end of the month, you can also catch some freerolls. So friends, try to take the freerolls too seriously.https://www.intellipoker.ro/online-...League?username=ssory83&month=2018-2:bebored:

M

Mustang19911

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play cool, don`t need to risk or bluff all the playtime.:)

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, those were my thoughts :). The main problem that i see is some players don't take seriously enough and sometimes you lose with good cards, as they play preflop big amounts with very bad cards.

K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls tactics

Hello to all of you,
I'm asking you about strategy on freeroll tournament when you are competiting with 10k players. The point is what should I do when some not so smart players play all in at the beggining and I don't want to risk my participation in tournament even with AK hand.

Hackerosito

Hackerosito

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When there is a large volume of players, I prefer to wait for level 9 of the tournament to enter, in case of having late registration, You have to handle the different phases of the tournament, at the beginning, look for your cards to fold, stay above the average of chips and in the final phase to enter the FT be more careful and aggressive at the same time. They are my tactics.

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tournament that big I think you are just going to have to win a lot of coin flips, so don't be too tight about calling all ins when you have something good like AK.

Last edited:
K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heh, it's not that easy as you said. Just look for this situation: there are 9 players at the table, 3 of them are playing + I(I'm talking about the beggining), my hand is QQ, I'm going to play all in, then some moron doing it before me and I did fold, one of them checked him and you can see, 1st player 45ofs, 2nd one j9s, the winner is 45ofs cuz of 447 flop and KQ turn and river. I could win this but this moron stopped me. It's not that easy to stop urself.
I'm asking about it cuz I'm the begginer. Mabye there is another way to be over this.

K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jamuka I agree with you but it's about save tactic, I don't want to quit tournament at the beggining cuz of stupid players with weak hands and luck in floop. Do you understand me?

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all of you,
I'm asking you about strategy on freeroll tournament when you are competiting with 10k players. The point is what should I do when some not so smart players play all in at the beggining and I don't want to risk my participation in tournament even with AK hand.
Fold! You answered yourself :bandit:

K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mate, I'm sure that there is a save tactic which let you gather coins and avoid that stupid all ins with hopeless hands. How to keep going in tournament even with good hand? Folding all the time isn't the resolving of this problem. I'm in 100% sure that some experts have answer in this topic but noone want to say it.

K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also I'm talking about THE BEGGINING only, the rest of tournament I know how to play.

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think people are shoving trash hands and you have something like AK/QQ you have good odds to double up or more. Sometimes you will lose to donks but IMO you have to take risks when the odds favor you in order to get ahead.

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing in the initial stages of the tournament is to focus on the opponents, and not to be distracted by social networks and so on, and also it is necessary to look at suited connectors, which I think are the best cards at the beginning of the tournament, for example AA have no price, to become strong in the late stages of the tournament, in general it is necessary to play many weak hands in the early stages of the tournament, but at the same time be cautious.

K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some time I'm risking and sometimes thx to it I gather coins. It doesn't matter. I will tell you one more time: I'm looking for save tactic to survive the beggining of the freeroll tournament. Ok, my problem is that I play pokerstars freeroll tournament(10$ one), almost all the time there are 10 k players, I play this sometimes cuz I have no time to tick all of them cuz I am at work. And when I want to play some morons do bad things like play all in with trash hand and I'm out after 15 mins. I hate it and I'm wondering how some players have 53k coins when I have 4k, how the hell it is possible?

O

Olvia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most risky and effective tactics. A fast successful allin and an active preflop game. If after an hour of such a game you are in the lead means the game was a success

K

Kargenou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop game doesn't matter at the beggining ;p, why? cuz noone afraids high bets ^^, everyone makes all in when you do 300 bet and you have 1500 coins ;p

C

Cblevs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For freerolls you should try to join early into the tournament because you will have the most BB's at this point at the first level. Late reg'ing with that many people isn't really worth it. Get in where you can and play tighter in the beginning and play looser as you get closer to the bubble but also if you're close to the bubble you don't want to bust before you're ITM.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all of you,
The KEY word here is Freeroll
It sounds like you are fairly new to poker, so what you need to understand is that so many of these preflop allin donkeys don’t care if they get knocked out of the tournaments.

I personally have seen in the past so... so... so many times, these donkeys chat notes, saying “It’s a FREEROLL !!!” when someone criticized they all-in moves.

I understand, you want to play the game of poker in these tournaments, but when it comes to freerolls, you need to understand that so many players are not strong or even good players and their only hope is to shove allin and get very lucky over and over and over again.

So Kargenou, once you accept the fact that every time you play in a freeroll there will be absolutely 100% someone shoving preflop allin, you will be ahead of the game, as far as tilting is concerned.

D

don1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If don't won't to finish early in the tournament. Just fold your cards and wait for a better position.