Freeroll State of Mind

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think your outlook should be when playing a freeroll? Should you treat them like a joke and play donk, play them for fun so widen your range and play outside your comfort level, or treat it like it is a real tournament and play your normal style?

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone is playing very loose so you can adjust your play base don that, or you can join the donkeys and have some fun and try to get lucky. When it gets close to the money is when people will start playing real poker.

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah usually I just try to get it in with decent cards and ur likely to have some1 with trash cards call. I prefer the shove preflop because otherwise you'll get too much action. I have quite a few freeroll wins over the last 3 months but that's only from grinding at least 5-10 a day.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The simple fact is that freerolls are hard to play and even harder to cash in them. For me, it seems like it don't matter how you play them.I always play them like I would play any other MTT and most of the time I go out of a freeroll within the first hour, playing good cards, and get beat with something like 94o all in. There is no controlling the out come of many hands. Seems like most players are trying to build a good stack and shooting to make the first break, and then the play slows down some. And that's as good as any goal. I think freerolls should be played seriously.There is a cash prize pool, so if they are played like a joke, you might as well be playing them like you would with play chips. Always play your best, and don't let them influence in any way

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
evaluate the freeroll before deciding how to play it :)

If it's a freeroll that has 10000 players in it and in order to get an amount you're happy with you'd need to finish let's say top 50 then play like an idiot trying to build up a massive stack to ease up your variance later on in the game taking on short stacks

If it's a freeroll with 100 in it and you're happy with top 10 then take it more seriously

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before Deciding how to play certain freeroll its important that we should take certain factors into account like prize pool , field and obviously tournament structure

For a freerolls like 50$ -250$ with a field in thousands where decent payout is in only reaching ft then we can play very wide and should focus on doubling or tripling up as fast as u can and try to play loose and win big pots over time

and for a seasonal or promotional or special freeroll with 1.5K$ + pools regardless of field we can play tight and only risk with good hands like AK , AQ , AJ , AA-1010, etc in early and and switch to aggression from late stage to try to go as deep as we can and also playing by reading players helps too in bluffing & restealing

for a freerolls like decent prizepools from around 100$ to 500$ with a decent field ranging from 100 to 1000 which are mostly forum or club organised ones . we can play abc poker and have fun

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in a free roll state o'mind...

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I treat freerolls as a normal tournament.And many are treated as second-class games from here and donkeys and fish and idiots...

BLACKSOLDIER

BLACKSOLDIER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerols have more than their fair share of fish so getting it in good is a must,really the more entrants the more strange random hands will get played. But it depends on how many players there are: 20-100 chance of decent play since everyone sees the money is close,100-1000 things will be pretty hairy for the first 45 mins, 1000-5000 75% of players will blast with anything believing a quick triple up is their path to money,5000-25000 just sit back and watch the fun within 30 minutes 40% will be gone,25000-50000 these are tough to cash its hard to sit back long enough for play to normalize without blinding out, 50000+ guess you might as well join the herd and blast as you can this where lucky seems to beat good a lot as they say you can't beat stupid.

yelmopoker01

yelmopoker01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my view, I believe that freerolls should be viewed in the same way as real money buy-in tournaments, they can also be used for a base in the most expensive tournaments, especially in the middle to the end of tournaments where the best Players

At best daily thinking, freerolls are a good way.

So that's it, GL on the tables !!!
Yelmopoker01

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Myself, I like to treat them as real tournaments and try to play to improve my game and use them as tools for bigger stake tournaments. I think that if you play them as a joke, it can affect your play on larger stakes.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I have almost always treated the freerolls like they were real tournaments . Maybe I should play them in the future a little different , a widen range of cards , like you say , (but not donkey style ) especially in the earlier stages , cause that's the only way to play with the players of loose style , mainly in the non CC with great field freerolls .

E

Evacska69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, a freeroll is like a mission impossible but in the end game can now be covered by a little poker too :D

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are a decent place to practice general poker strategy and discipline, but don't expect great results. Players limp calling off 25BB with QJo, 78s, etc. Can be maddening but if you don't want to deposit any money online they can be fun.

M

MREM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are a decent place to practice general poker strategy and discipline, but don't expect great results. Players limp calling off 25BB with QJo, 78s, etc. Can be maddening but if you don't want to deposit any money online they can be fun.

I find them good to practice basics as well.
If you've got those down you can practice adapting your game to the table you are at (lots of shovers, lots of limpers, extremly laggy players). All sorts around to try and get a read on.

K

ksidrew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls can be good practice if you make it deep enough to where people are taking it seriously. My main piece of advice would be to rarely try running big bluffs in freerolls, people have nothing invested so they are not there to fold.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I can be in a few at the same time, I'll treat one as my all in game. In all games I certainly play alot looser, waiting for position with no callers then limp or 3x. Can't play your usual TAG game though

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever style you play, then don't break stride and be consistant.

Svyat66556

Svyat66556

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me as a resident of the Ukraine to earn a Freeroll 2$ this is equivalent to floor shift workat factory , on this to these tournaments I treat seriously

D

dznootz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only freerolls but smaller buying MTT there are times I have just sat out the first hour of play. There is no way to outplay your opponent prior to that in my opinion. No matter what you do people are calling you down with absolutely nothing and it's only a matter of time before you get hit. I see a lot of people cash in big in the first few minutes and then sitout as well. Lately I either just play super tight and take down the pots I can until all of the trash is out of the way or just play it with no cares in the world and play legitimate hands and if I get a stack sure I can play a little loose and try to get that massive chip advantage you can take to the final 3 tables.

A

abbershey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls seem so fake and it really doesnt feel like a real game so many bad suck outs

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls mostly ends in 5-6 hours. So for me If I have 5-6 hours for a game then I play wisely I.e. TAG in 1st hour. LAG in 2-3 hour and in last round poker skills like position etc comes in play.. On the other hand if I do not have enough time then just a super sonic ride for me.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you should treat it like a regular tournament,,,pratice getting in the mindset of playing seriously all the time.:D

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls usually have a turbo structure. Because of this your table will disband. Therefore, it makes no sense to maintain your image. Just play your poker.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how to win a freeroll tournament? is it possible?:закатывать глаза: