did I raise the size I did preflop?
- makes it easier to fold if one of your opponents 3-bet
- makes your c-bet on the flop smaller
- probably has fold equity similar to a ~t250 raise, but doesn't need to succeed as often to be +EV in the long run
should we respond to the shove?
- what is our image? you and the SB haven't played a ton of hands together, but it's possible that he knows we are an aggressive, creative, winning player, since we are a well known poker coach.
- does villain play any differently because of our image? players will often recognize that a villain will be on a wide range, but not play back anyway because they're afraid of getting called. is this villain that type of opponent?
- how does calling this shove affect our equity and the stack/table dynamics? if we fold we have a cool ~26bb's, but if we call and win we get up to ~41bb's and become the clear chip leader at the table. if we call and lose we'll drop to ~14bb's, which is still workable. keep in mind too that we still have the two shortest stacks to our left, so we may be able to continue to abuse them with our remaining stack if we do fold (of course they could continue to 3-bet resteal as villain may or may not have just done).
What circumstances would need to change to alter our decision?
- different hand, I suppose that's obvious though
- opponent has a higher 3b%
- different pot odds
(either because we raised larger or because he has a smaller stack)
- if our own stack size was different
- if the stacks at the table were different
At first I thought this was a clear fold but there are some arguments for calling. Villain's 3-bet stat probably isn't very reliable, so he could be doing this semi-wide. Depending on whether he is a good player or not, he may also recognize that making this re-steal allows him to take down t380 chips, which represents a pretty significant boost to his equity and gives him a better chance of surviving once the blinds escalate. If we call we will have a pretty big chip advantage over the rest of the table, which is obviously pretty valuable.
It's closer than I initially thought but I think I would still fold.