Folding a SET

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok playing on ACR on a 1kgtd I was with a 45k stackand in Final Table range and in the money already with 3 tables left so I get 77 on early position and decide to min raise looking for a set on the flop and for all the players to fold if possible and the guy next to me decides to limp and BB defends for a three way flop,

so flop comes

678 rainbow and I was like BINGO! so BB min raises and I call and then the guy on my left re raises and then I get concern about my set, so BB goes all in with a 30k star and I immediately folded my SET, player on my left folds as well and then BB shows the cards and has 45,

Is this a standard fold or could I call and risk almost my entire stack in this hand and wish for the best?

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always fold if you feel you are beat. I folded a boat today and showed (I was right). I've folded KK twice preflop and was right both times, granted they were live and I had a great read both times. When you start really trusting yourself means you're taking the next step so congrats!

Now can you keep making the right decisions when you get shown a bluff after laying down a set?

To your question "Is it a standard fold or could I call and risk almost my entire stack in this hand and wish for the best?" I'd say it depends on the level of competence of the opponent. In a freeroll it may be standard to call but in a $50 mtt it's a fairly standard fold I'd say.

K

ksidrew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what the blinds were at the time. There are certain stack sizes where you should never be folding a set, and others where it is perfectly fine. Its important not to focus on the results of the hand and just try to always make the best decision based on your stack size, the board texture, action and any other information you have about your opponents.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold if I have the slightest feeling im beat

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok playing on ACR on a 1kgtd I was with a 45k stackand in Final Table range and in the money already with 3 tables left so I get 77 on early position and decide to min raise looking for a set on the flop and for all the players to fold if possible and the guy next to me decides to limp and BB defends for a three way flop,

so flop comes

678 rainbow and I was like BINGO! so BB min raises and I call and then the guy on my left re raises and then I get concern about my set, so BB goes all in with a 30k star and I immediately folded my SET, player on my left folds as well and then BB shows the cards and has 45,

Is this a standard fold or could I call and risk almost my entire stack in this hand and wish for the best?
Depends on pot size but don't forget that you have a 1/3 chance of redrawing to a full house in set vs straight / set vs flush situations (total turn & river odds)

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a great fold. I folded AJ yesterday with the board showing 4KAK at the turn because I checked the turn and the one other player bets the pot. He was trying to get all he could out of it without running me off. But with the set, I don't know what I would do unless I was in that situation. But being ITM makes a difference. GL to you

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What were the blinds at? It could very close to call/fold.

I'm probably always getting my money in because I'm never just calling BB's min raise. I'm 3betting huge with a set on that board and probably committing myself to the pot.

SerbiaGrinding

SerbiaGrinding

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe this is an all-in situation simply bc of the chances of him flopping a straight. 1.5%? Yah, that's an all-in with you coming out on top a majority of the time.

I've always worried about the right play rather than the pot in front of me.

M

massagegirl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bigger raise preflop should get the 45 to fold next time

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds 1k/500, 3 tables remaining, my 45k stack was in good shape and in any case of losing if I would call then it would be seriously hurt. I raise to 2k on EP then got call by guy on my left and the BB, BB raised to 2k on the Flop I call and guy on left re raise to 6k and BB then shoved full stack, pot was 10k before the shove.

fearfizz

fearfizz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its good to fold when you know you are beaten.

W

WaxDabMan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of incomplete information, so when you are picking up information, it is best to use it, or else what's the point right?
Don't be surprised when you are good enough to make the same folds you see on tv ;)
Best of luck!

T

Tode8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds 1k/500, 3 tables remaining, my 45k stack was in good shape and in any case of losing if I would call then it would be seriously hurt. I raise to 2k on EP then got call by guy on my left and the BB, BB raised to 2k on the Flop I call and guy on left re raise to 6k and BB then shoved full stack, pot was 10k before the shove.

I think that was a good fold becose you have a good stack to continue to play and the BB can call your mini rise with everything..in your case with 4-5...so i will use my stack to play other hands,just fold that hand and weit for better cards and flops :D

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that absurd fold that hand is not anything the player you bet but I sure did not have a ladder looking for her can be but fold never alone I wanted to appear or defend a pair of 10 , had to pay is my opinion the sometimes game has to risk and not trust your instinct this is not a game of instincts is pure mathematics and evaluation of players and your hands as well as theirs

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this coordinated board of course I would have dropped a set. But how do you do in the other case? That is the question. There is the same situation and we are not robots. We must also take into account other aspects of the game, which you can learn from just watching opponents.That's like yesterday I had a situation. I'm in the big blind stack depth 430K chips. at the hands of the AK I raise half my stack. Immediately behind me alyn opponent gives his 250K in chips, and behind him another 4 people all go all-in. since I do not heal, even if I lose, I went all-in. He won with A9, the first one that went all-in. As here it is classified as a player? it was in at UTG-1.

C

CEO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only sets when the board shows 4 card straight and flushes

B

baklagan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically you need to count the odds you have and the pot chances , then try to think with what cards your opponent may do such move and then decide what you will do. You have 7 + 10 = 16 outs to get full house,so yours chanches of winning is 7/40 + 10/36 approx. 1 to 2.3 ,looks like fold in your case was the right move.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, I'm going to assume the BB had a 30K and you have a 45K stack prior to everything.

Preflop: You min raise to 2K, player calls 2K, SB folds, BB calls 1K.
Pot = 6.5K

Flop = BB bets 2K, you call 2K, player raises to 6K, BB shoves 26K
Pot = 42.5K

You have 41K and have to call 26K to win a pot of 42.5K, giving you 1.63:1 odds. This is far less than the odds needed to hit the boat or better, even if the turn gives you more outs.

Was your fold good? Yes, it was in the fact that your opponent had 45 for the flopped straight, but at the same time, I think it's a hand worth calling because you beat so many other hands your opponent can be shoving with. Against a made straight, you have 7 outs to hit on the turn, and 10 outs to hit on the river.

Your opponents can easily be shoving:
-2 pairs like 67, 78
-over pairs like 99, 1010, and maybe JJ. 99 also gives them an OESD
-pairs + OESD like 56, 89
-over cards + OESD like J9s, Q9s, K9s, or A9s

My only question is why you played your set so passively, especially on this board? You even said you were hoping to hit a set when you min raised preflop. It hits, then you just call a small raise preflop, get concerned when someone makes a small raise, and auto-fold when someone shoves? Why? A set here is so strong, you should be 3betting on that flop with intent of getting all of your money in on the flop. Again, they're shoving a lot more hands than just a flopped straight. And if you pay them off, you pay them off. But I still think it's too strong of a hand to let go.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to agree here with philthy... You played your hand in a passive way which in a results oriented view helped you. But long run it will hurt your overall roi. I'd like to know why you flat called with a player behind also? When you called did you have a plan if the player behind raised, how about if they called and the turn brought say a 4,5,9,10 or some other iffy card?
Thinking about your actions and reactions to potential action can help guide decision. Looking at what range they could be shoving with and how you stack up against that perceived range could help also.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can cheap look the flop with small poket pair and you get the set and flop is open straight draw you make the right decision fold when some one reraise you in long term its will save you a lot of money.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can cheap look the flop with small poket pair and you get the set and flop is open straight draw you make the right decision fold when some one reraise you in long term its will save you a lot of money.
The odds of flopping a straight when you hold 2 connecting cards is 1.3%. So, are you always fearing that your opponent flopped a straight when you've hit your set? I think you're losing money in the long run if you're always folding in this situation. Like I mentioned above, there are a ton of other hands villain can be shoving with that a set will beat. Not only that, but we're getting called by a ton of hands that we beat as well. In this situation, I'm looking to get my money in the middle rather than trying to find reasons to fold.

And even on that rare occasion where they do flop a straight, we still have 34%/22% to redraw on the turn or river.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always fold if you feel you are beat. I folded a boat today and showed (I was right). I've folded KK twice preflop and was right both times, granted they were live and I had a great read both times. When you start really trusting yourself means you're taking the next step so congrats!

Now can you keep making the right decisions when you get shown a bluff after laying down a set?

To your question "Is it a standard fold or could I call and risk almost my entire stack in this hand and wish for the best?" I'd say it depends on the level of competence of the opponent. In a freeroll it may be standard to call but in a $50 mtt it's a fairly standard fold I'd say.
-How do you fold a boat? Unless it was a double paired board like 88AJJ, you had an 8, and was facing a big river bet...how do you fold a boat? I'd like to hear how the hand played out?

-Folding KK preflop is pretty big, too. I'd like to hear how those hands played out as well.

-Why do you think it's a standard fold if its a $50 MTT? Because there is money invested? Is it also standard to play sets passively on a very wet board in $50 MTTs?

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depeands of player and situation set is hard to fold,but if you see some bad flop you cen be beaten by flush or straight you shoul fold......

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great fold! That could be bluff but i dnt think someone would go all in with bluff on final table. So good fold!

Folding in Poker