Fold, Raise or Call on JJ big blind?

M

Maverc6769

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Poker Gurus

Recently played in another live poker tournament and I have a question for you guys. Asking you guys what you would do.
I know most will say "it depends" but here is the play so anything beyond "it depends" will help me.
9 Player table
I'm on BB at 100, 40BB deep (Mid Stack), I'm handed JJ. Other players are on average same with +/-30BB lowest and 50BB Highest
UTG Raises at 450 (Mid Stack)
2 MPs Call (1 Low Stack, one Mid Stack)
Button Calls (Highest Stack)
SB Folds
My Turn I call because I have JJ estimating UTG has AX, KX or 88+
The rest same range as table has been playing tight.
Flop; A,K,6 Rainbow
My turn; What should I do or maybe what should I have done pre-flop? Knowing I have 4 opponents

Responders will get my inputs.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO you did everything just right. Most likely I would like just call too in this situation. Depending on the situation, when there's already 4 opponents and the original raiser is on UTG position, your JJ is more likely a set-mining low pair, not a real monster, even if it sounds a little bit strange. No need to raise this pot up. They give you good odds to call, too. If you are behind, you won't lose much. Since you are 40bb, It's not a push/fold stacksize yet, you can play postflop comfortably. The only bad thing there is that you will have to play this hand OOP. But after seing the flop, if there is so much action, it would be not a big problem to lay down anyway.
On the other hand, I think the push option is not that terrible too on this special spot cause you are OOP and playing postflop will be hard to you if you don't catch your Jack. The pot is already big, picking it up right there would be great! It's risky, though.
But call is better in my opinion. Pushing 40BB is a bit inaccurately. If you had a smaller stack, it would be a push for sure.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you push, most likely at least one out of four opponents will call you, and it'll be just a coinflip for you in the best scenario. Putting all your tournament game on a coinflip? Well, sometimes you just have to do it, but I guess it's not the right time.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is really trouble hand, calling is the best option, but if you want to gamble against 4 people then raise and you’re almost going to lose. So call to see the flop, then check fold, or eaven call ifs not big raise. That’s my opinion

S

shadow72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your pre-flop call was fine - after that flop, you always will want to check and assess things after the rest of the post-flop action. With two overcards on the flop, I would likely be inclined to fold to any decent bet as you're probably in a two-outer situation at that point.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah call pre-flop and check/fold flop with those cards even if a j hits on the turn you'll most likely be in a bad situation since the straight will be nuts so yeah you played that well if you folded to a strong bet on the flop.

cash123

cash123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
raise the preflop bet, even to draw a player from the hand with fold and you will have control of the table and pot. with the flop you will know how to read your opponent's range but you must continue to post flop being the aggressor, if the opponent calls you will know if you are losing or not!

E

EFreitass

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call PF after check

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This was a lousy spot to be in for sure. Normally I like to raise it up but this time I would have called and hated it. Unless you have a read on the original raiser you should respect the UTG raiser. Then you have the 3 other callers to worry about. The problem is if the UTG players calls you you may still end up playing a 5 handed pot with a bloated pot and out of position. I think calling was the correct move here. On this flop check folding is probably your best move on this flop as someone most likely hit this flop and you are drawing thin.

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO

I think you did fine. I would have been more inclined to raise preflop, but if you had a good read on your opponents, and thought they had Ax or Kx, you did great.

You just got a shitty flop. There's nothing to be done. You are almost certainly drawing at two outs (tops). Bail out.

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it were me in that situation, I would just call and see a flop and see if I hit a Jack.

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ

Similar to everyone else I would call preflop and fold to any decent bet on the flop due to the 2 overcards. If the table was tight like you said it's almost guarnateed someone hit A or K

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop play was sufficient

For where you are at in the tournament your preflop play was sufficient. It allows you to make an easy check raise if you hit a set and also gives you an option to fold if ace, king, or queen hit since it is very likely somone hit a higher pair. The third thing is it could be that you have top pair after the flop and you can try to squeeze draws out and play against top pair ace kicker.

M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say it looks like a check/fold to a cbet.

H

haank5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
definite call after flop check fold.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree a check fold would be the play. I just lost my last tournament with JJ betting the flop with an over card.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that's a terrible spot to be in with JJ. With a UTG raise and 3 other calls, you are almost positive that somebody is holding a premium hand. For pre-flop, I think you could argue for both a call and a fold. With a call, you are pretty much only playing if you hit a set. I don't think a fold is bad either since it will be very hard to play if you don't flop a set. Even if the flop is all rags, you'd probably be losing to a higher pair. With over cards, it's even worse since there are 4 other players. On the flop, I would just check/fold. No reason to put more money into that pot.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
JJ is a difficult hand to play, personally I rarely win with them, the times I play I try to do it very carefully and depending on the reading I have of my opponents I decide how to play them, I think that you played them well, next step for me would check or fold

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that case I would have fold from the beginning

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is getting stronger with more players in the hand and you want to see the flop as cheap as possible, so the call preflop was absolutely correct. Check on the flop and call a small bet, to see if you hit a straight draw or a set and fold to bigger bets, as someone would have hit a higher pair.

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually fold when the pre-flop is too high.

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I like to raise this pre-flop but you definitely made the right move calling, especially in BB position with players behind and a raise from UTG.

Post-flop you have to check to see how the other players act. You only called so checking in BB is always reasonable and really helps gain some more information. If another player raises, and another calls I could see myself folding (as hard as it is) if they have been playing tight most of the night. It also depends on their bet sizes.

You have some showdown value (but I don’t think it’s too much in this situation.) and so if the raises are low enough to call you could potentially do so.

Similarly, you could make a blocker bet to prevent the pot from getting too large. However overall I could see a fold here given the circumstances.

L

Liezzi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo you should have applied a squeeze, aiming to finish the hand and win all the dead money in the pot that was already big, or at least play the post flop just against a player, where your JJ would have a much better gameplay

Folding in Poker