Was this fold okay?

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament game, ITM already. Can't remember exactly stack sizes but effectivly:

Hero (UTG +2) 12 BB
BTN 20 BB
SB 7 BB
BB 7 BB

Hero dealt KQo, raises to 2BB

BTN, SB, BB all call

Flop comes K84 rainbow.

Hero leads 2BB, BTN calls, SB shoves for 5 BB, BB shoves for 5 BB. Hero??

I folded here, on the basis that the two shoves should be in a fairly small range of cards considering there was and earlier raise and call. Also with a player behind still to act it seems unprofitable.

So I fold, BTN folds and both SB and BB flip over KJo and end up splitting the pot after two bricks. Slightly annoying to have them both beat, but I think more often than not I would be seeing at least one AK in that spot. Thoughts on my fold?

O

OneMoreTry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should've called.

You're already in with 2 BB, you hit the high card, no flush or straight flopped...so I call the remaining 3 BBs in that situation. Especially because in a situation like that, both SB and BB many times shove all-in with ANY outs or hits. Not even necessarily hitting the top card on the flop.

Plus...maybe even raise 3 BB instead of 2 BB?

I get the fear for AK, but if you combine the chances..you hit the K, only two other Ks are in the hand AND you're having 3rd best kicker in a tie. Worse the risk in my opinion.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy call my friend chances are opponents have weaker kings or middle pairs sometimes they will have you beat but if you are raising hands like KQ and hit then folding on flop raise by opponent that is bad EV play long term good luck

Last edited:
bighert2

bighert2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should have been a call, you had to call 3bb to win 20, with top pair and 2nd best kicker. I think anyone holding AK would have shoved pre-flop with those stack sizes. Even if it's the button and everyone folds to the shove it's a 20% chip up, if it's sb or bb it's closer to a 50% or more chip up.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your ITM, I would have shoved this hand from the beginning with those small of BB. I am confused at the structure but you're really close to the end. I wouldn't have fold there in that spot. Your two short stacks are just making a play with what they got and it could've been anything. I would call all day and twice on Sunday. You have a chance to knock players out then go for it.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm all in pre. As played I don't fold and I don't expect to see AK.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool thanks for the advice. I hated seeing that them both beat. Definitely should have been a call I guess! Need to work on my multiway pot situations

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 12BBs I'm shoving KQ pre here also.

As played I will call.

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You either fold or Jam with KQ preflop with under 15 BB and say a prayer. That's all you can do in that situation.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play, you shove, no 2BB UTG, shove or nothing.
Now should you shove UTG with KQo and 12bb left? I say no, its a sucker hand, you are behind any Ace, and having players with 5BB, etc. they are going to shove with any ace. better to shove from hijack to button with 10-9o than UTG with dominated hand like KQ. my take anyway...

S

stamark

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely a call. If sb or bb had AK they would have shoved pre flop especially when both had 5bbs. So you had the best kicker out there.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22BB's in the pot 3 for you to call . I would definetly call with those pot odds .Sometimes we out think ourselves and lose sight of things.

Folding in Poker