Fold, call, or raise with pocket 10s?

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Final table, I was chip leader, 5 players left, with 550k chips. Utg small stack stack raised 3x on 15k/30k blinds and I was in button.

If I call I would become #3 stack if I lost. I re-raised, and he re-raised all in and I called. HU I lost to his KQs and I became small stack, and eventually busted out. I still had 240k chips after losing exchange, but did I make the correct decision there as chip leader? If I finished even top 3 I could have made several hundreds more.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call there and see a flop with willingness to let the hand go if overcards and a strong bet come at me.

E

Ero2407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your division was right

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have called 3x and seen the flop, then play accordingly. If your 10's are the nuts, push, if not see what hero does.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise call, flop raise call or fold...

jerlasvegas

jerlasvegas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Final table, I was chip leader, 5 players left, with 550k chips. Utg small stack stack raised 3x on 15k/30k blinds and I was in button.

If I call I would become #3 stack if I lost. I re-raised, and he re-raised all in and I called. HU I lost to his KQs and I became small stack, and eventually busted out. I still had 240k chips after losing exchange, but did I make the correct decision there as chip leader? If I finished even top 3 I could have made several hundreds more.

This depends on the people you are playing against and the stakes in the tournament. Lower buy-in tournaments are more volatile, because the filed of players includes a higher percentage of players who do not play well. In addition, they push in with things like KQs and even KQo.

Generally those all ins are going to turn into a bingo match. If you don't do them, you don't double up and easily get pushed around and out. If you do and lose, you go out.

So, personally, I've started rolling with the punches and taking some more risks. Such as shoving with TT. I've shoved with QQ many times only to be beat with something like KJo.

However, if you are playing in a higher stakes tournament, I don't think you would expect to see others playing non optimal poker. In that instance you would have folded the TT when you got 3 bet. In a higher stakes game, that is a good indication of AA or KK

It really seems to me that the lower stakes tournament involve more risks, but if you can re-buy, it helps in a couple ways. First, people will be more willing to call you when you have the nuts. Second, you can rebuy if you get beat.

You ideally want to learn how to play optimally. However, at the same time, you have to adjust your game to the other players and find out how to exploit their play.

Last edited:
elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, you must have watched the player and watched how he plays to decide if this would be a good strategy or not.

The fact that he is in UTG in normal situations could indicate that his cards are the top of the range, but in FT the situation changes, and also it is necessary to take into account how many BB the villain had.

Without readings I could pay the bet and wait what to do after seeing the flop cards, or else I could shove, since his call range would be very short, he would probably fold, but in the cases that he paid he would be ahead.

I have come across countless moves and realized that there are many ways to act, each player would have a way of thinking, more small and medium pairs at the final table if not hit a set on the flop can easily be broken for any A, and most of people constuma to play the final table with speculative cards and go more often allin, hardly played passively since the value involved in the final table is high.

I usually play according to the tendencies of the players and try to force more on who folds more times or who tries to steal more often without having good hand.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're re-raising there to get heads up versus playing TT against a possible four way pot or face a re-raise behind form the blinds than it's probably a good move. You don't mention bet size so I could change my mind based on the bets.

I would probably fold to his 4 bet there regardless.

V

valanddon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I would call a raise and see what the flop brings.
Then if no over cards, go all in, if over cards on flop check and
see what he or she does. If they bet big with over cards
on flop, fold.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like the short stack had around 10bbs, unless you think he is really nitty then I think its a shove. If there were antes it is even more of a shove.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I find no reason to 3bet him in position. With 3x open UTG against a random opponent it is for sure a flip versus your TT and seems you need a strong hold till the river for your double up. Just call and maybe call a cbet with one higher card on the flop but in this spots you need more pot control plays in marginal spots like the above.

Having the chip lead is vital at a final table, it will make your life easier in so many ways and it lead you more often to be the winner.

ps. I just wrote my opinion against a random opponent, to be honest it would be better to have some more info about stack sizes and your opponent tendencies etc..

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would see the flop before you hit the player, when you re-raise it shows a lot of strength, if it comes all in, it certainly has the top of the range, and your KQs do not guarantee you much. The most important thing is to be aware of making the move and to know why you did it! Another factor there, is the ICM, did you think of that moment?

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I would see the flop before you hit the player, when you re-raise it shows a lot of strength, if it comes all in, it certainly has the top of the range, and your KQs do not guarantee you much. The most important thing is to be aware of making the move and to know why you did it! Another factor there, is the ICM, did you think of that moment?

Our hero had pocket TT , villain had KQs UTG :)

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta see the flop and then determine what next.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if he is utg, you can call and see what the flop brings. it can be cheaper as you can escape if the board is scary and it helps if you really look for payjumps.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The best option in that situation is to call and see a flop...then your observation skills would have been crucial in that situation to know what his range of cards would be for his raise. But re-raising pre-flop with pocket 10s is a bad move when cashing in the best place possible is the goal!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this case, if the flop falls on a card in value greater than yours, then it is better to check and see the reaction of the opponent. If it raises, it means that the opponent has a pair higher against your 10 10. I would fold after his re-raise. At the last table you need to play more cautiously.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone's advice was really helpful, thank you so much!

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure

I am not sure you did the wrong thing there. I always try to be positive going into each hand. You were ahead there and if your tens held up, then you would of been in great shape to win the tournament.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably would have done the same thing as you did. The problem is that it is a double edged sword. You go all-in your taking a chance to double up. You call, you could get bluffed out or get out drawn and lose a lot of chips.

In the end, you get burned either way but if a replay would happen, calling the raise would be the best option because see what you have first.

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have simply called to see what the flop runners are before commiting the whole stack.

I look at calling against a possible high range in case you get a set. it is something you can escape from while shoving all in preflop there is no decision making. Either you win it or you dont.

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on your stack sizes, it seems like everyone is pretty short-stacked and should be playing mostly a shove/fold game., in my opinion.

If you could mention villains' stack size in terms of bb it would help.

O

OneMoreTry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just call in that situation or maybe not even that. Patience on final tables has done me good so many times, with everyone else busting themselves out and more guaranteed money for me. :D

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps you can take the line flat preflop, and jam on the flop if no overcard and villain not pot committed. It does depend on UTG stack size to realise fold equity here

J

jospel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only play is to go all in or fold. I would've gone all in too, you did the right thing, unlucky result.

Folding in Poker