First time in PS Progressive KO Freeroll

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And let me just say... that was the wild wild west in the first 5-10 minutes where all-ins were all the rage. I, of course, participated and got 2 KOs in that timeframe, so I made myself 50c. Cha-ching... lol

Somewhere around the 10 minute mark, I must have missed the memo because all of a sudden, people stopped going all-in and started playing semi-strategic poker. I of course, adapted too late and lost an all-in call to some shmuck with a pretty bad draw (I think I had the odds pre-flop, but it was really a coin-toss).

From there, it was more aggressive than any other tourney I've been in, and about 90% of the participants got knocked out by the first break. It's a good thing I didn't budget 6 hours for this tourney... haha

All this to say... it was an interesting experience. After about the 10 minute mark, I went to my default TAG approach and kicked around and ended up finishing in 497 out of 10K participants. Of course, placement doesn't matter in these tournaments. But lessons I've learned in this tournament:
  • First 10 minutes are nutty -- push all-in any +EV preflop hand... it pays to know your charts (which I don't really have off the top of my head... sadly)
  • Fold equity is key -- more so in this than any other tourney, first to go all-in seems to have the most advantage in most cases
  • Only call all-in pre-flop when you have a high +EV preflop hands (like... .25+ ev)
  • Further, and maybe this is too conservative... but unless my M is below 5, I'm only jamming the pot pre-flop with pocket pairs or A8+
Any other thoughts to add to this?

All in all, it's fun but it's not something I would ever want to pay for. I generally hate KO type of tourneys... but it's probably one of the better formats for a freeroll where it's fast paced, and you can get some money into your account without having to finish anywhere near the top.

danix

danix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really is the ideal type of tournament to win money without having to reach ITM. I played this Freeroll long ago and won over $ 7 with eliminations!

lackerboy

lackerboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But tournaments of this type like weak players. And a poker player, if he wants to win, must be able to adapt to the weak players. I would consider knockout tournaments as additional tournaments to your download if I were you.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I have no luck in this type of tourneys ((
You can sit very long and win nothing. May be exist very unlucky player, which go to final table and won nothing )))

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
is in PS but where did you find this freeroll? i never seen

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Must be total aggressiveness

If in the KO tournaments you pay enter players already play aggressively imagine in a KO freeroll it must be crazy and close eyes and push all in or close eyes pay all in
:fight::pcguru:

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The main thing is to have the patience to win. All is real besides High Roller Club freeroll(hyper-turbo). I don't know what to do to win this tournament. It's a miracle)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When they changed the PS weekly freeroll from normal structure tournament to progressive KO I didn't like the idea , cause I wasn't good at all with the bounties and the aggressive playgame . When I first tried it , complete failure , all in festival . Next times also not good , I wasn't aggressive enough , also had to play better I guess vs so aggro players :eek:Now haven't played these freerolls for a long time , I don't miss them :)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Since you got paid to knock out players it is the right thing to be more aggressive in general but some player over-compensate and becomes total maniacs and go after every chance they have to knock out some shorter stack.

So it is often easier to get in the money in a KO-tournament even with a more tight-passive approach. Not the best strategy to win most money but you can mini-cash easier.

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HI!
Knockout tournaments are aggressive and you need to be prepared for some players to play only for knockout. Especially if the game takes place during the weekend, then you can see a lot of unusual actions.