My first MTT

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! I am a cash game player normally, but decided to play a tournament this weekend. It was live with a 200ish field. Just wanted to get some tips and ask a few questions about certain hands.

First hour went pretty good. Got a big stack going with the help of 2 huge hands, scored a few knockouts. For the first stages of a tournament, is it best to play TAG or LAG? i was playing pretty loose, found that i bled some chips getting involved in to many pots.

After the field got narrowed down to around 50, i found myself with a massive chip lead. What do i do now? play tight and only get involved in a few big hands, or get a bit more loose and use my stack? I tightened up a little bit, is that bad?

with 3 tables left (27 field) avg. stack around 35k, I'm in second. The game got really passive. I guess shortys were laddering, but even the big stacks started playing super passive. The bubble was coming up, top 20 got paid, what are things for that spot i can do? I got really loose-aggro, mainly taking blinds and using c-bets to win small pots. Should i tighten up here as well?

Final table. 9 players, avg. stack a little over 90k massive lead again with over 50% of chips in play (somewhere in the 550k range.) I played really tight, only getting involved with premium hands in pos. (TT+, AQs, AKo)

Down to heads up. stacks around even, i have him slightly covered, around 25BB each
I play my normal heads up cash game style, i slowly start coming out on top. Here is the final hand.

Hero is n bttn with Ad 2d
raises to 60,000

Villain 3 bets to 120k, hero calls.

Flop 10d Jd 3s

Villain bets 160k
Hero calls.

Turn Kh

Villain is all in.
Hero calls.

Villain shows Ks Qh

River 4d.

Is that how i should have done it? Is getting it all in with a str8 draw and a flush draw bad?
Thans for any tips! sorry this is sorta long!

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See below:

Hey! I am a cash game player normally, but decided to play a tournament this weekend. It was live with a 200ish field. Just wanted to get some tips and ask a few questions about certain hands.

How much was the buy in?

First hour went pretty good. Got a big stack going with the help of 2 huge hands, scored a few knockouts. For the first stages of a tournament, is it best to play TAG or LAG? i was playing pretty loose, found that i bled some chips getting involved in to many pots.

Some people like to play LAG, especially if there is the opportunity to rebuy. however, it is optimal to play TAG while blinds are low.

After the field got narrowed down to around 50, i found myself with a massive chip lead. What do i do now? play tight and only get involved in a few big hands, or get a bit more loose and use my stack? I tightened up a little bit, is that bad?

This really depends on your table and structure of the tournament. how fast were blinds going up? Were people willing to fight back and defend to any raises? You can start taking control if others are tightening up because of the money bubble but be aware of those not backing down.

with 3 tables left (27 field) avg. stack around 35k, I'm in second. The game got really passive. I guess shortys were laddering, but even the big stacks started playing super passive. The bubble was coming up, top 20 got paid, what are things for that spot i can do? I got really loose-aggro, mainly taking blinds and using c-bets to win small pots. Should i tighten up here as well?

This also depends. Tightening up can be safe if you have a large stack but can bleed you of chips. If you are good at reading hands or ranges and know which people you can raise, 3 bet or c bet then do exactly what you did. In my experience, live tournaments like this people play pretty tight at this stage so it is interesting to see there was a lot of loose play.

Final table. 9 players, avg. stack a little over 90k massive lead again with over 50% of chips in play (somewhere in the 550k range.) I played really tight, only getting involved with premium hands in pos. (TT+, AQs, AKo)

Good stuff here...
Down to heads up. stacks around even, i have him slightly covered, around 25BB each
I play my normal heads up cash game style, i slowly start coming out on top. Here is the final hand.

Hero is n bttn with Ad 2d
raises to 60,000

Villain 3 bets to 120k, hero calls.

Flop 10d Jd 3s

Villain bets 160k
Hero calls.

Turn Kh

Villain is all in.
Hero calls.

Villain shows Ks Qh

River 4d.

Is that how i should have done it? Is getting it all in with a str8 draw and a flush draw bad?

Thans for any tips! sorry this is sorta long!

This isn't too bad. It really depends on what you put him on...did you put this person on a hand like KQ? Were you willing to gamble in this spot (obviously). If you broke the bets down into BBs it would be easier to tell stacks. I know you said 25BBs but what were the blinds at this point? This is one of those hands where both people are going to get it in no matter what with only 25 BBs. They had the open ended and K on turn and you had a decent amount of outs. I more than likely would have done the same thing!

Great win BTW. What was the amount?

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks! The blinds on that final hand were 10k/20k/5k, payout for first was $500. I put him on a pair with a Broadway draw like AJ QK or AT, also even if i thought he already had the str8 i would probably call anyways, lots of outs and not many chips lol.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks! The blinds on that final hand were 10k/20k/5k, payout for first was $500. I put him on a pair with a Broadway draw like AJ QK or AT, also even if i thought he already had the str8 i would probably call anyways, lots of outs and not many chips lol.

No worries and ok that's what I figured when I saw you raised for 60k PF.

T

Tigerchef

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of done the same as you did