Best regards,
Darek K.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What type of tournament is it ? How much is the buy-in ? Based only on the information you provided, I'd fold the AK. You're probably up against either a mid/high pair or another AK. Against that range you are basically a coin flip for your tournament life. In a free roll or low buy-in tournament, you might consider a call because there are a lot of players pushing with weaker broadway hands that you could have dominated (AQ, KQ, AJ). Still, calling for your tournament life with AK isn't generally the greatest idea.

K

Kaski54

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What type of tournament is it ? How much is the buy-in ? Based only on the information you provided, I'd fold the AK. You're probably up against either a mid/high pair or another AK. Against that range you are basically a coin flip for your tournament life. In a free roll or low buy-in tournament, you might consider a call because there are a lot of players pushing with weaker broadway hands that you could have dominated (AQ, KQ, AJ). Still, calling for your tournament life with AK isn't generally the greatest idea.

Thanks for Your answer.
I agree it is a reasonable decision to fold.
I lost the hand to flash :)
Was asking since have seen many allins with AK.

Best regards.
Darek.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA or KK yep AK no never. Why would you risk your tournament life in the early stages with AK? The only reason I would see is if you are planning to rebuy if you get knocked out but even then it is a risk not worth taking. IMHO

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am snap calling in this position

I don't think BB would wake up a big hand like AA, KK, or QQ

QQ being the best case scenario for a classic clip

He might be jamming with AQ

K

Kaski54

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

He was jamming J 10 suited and won with flash…

As I said above I tend to fold such hand in a future :)

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

so you are willing to coin flip on the first hand? maybe in a free roll but in a real tournament that you paid cash to get in ..... EASY FOLD. Tournaments are not won in the first hand or the early rounds.

POKERRANSOM

POKERRANSOM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the question are hard to answer or give advice because for me it would depend o the play of the opponets. but in hind sight sb called a three bet and if you table image was tight then you have to wonder what the small blind is calling and not raising. the big blind probabley has a pair JJ at the lowest and if small blind has an A then your chances of catching a pair goes down some i would probabley call if i was short stacked or had three times the all in

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course you need to call. Recently I watched a broadcast of a poker tournament, the game was pretty aggressive, and in the same hand, one player says I have just dropped on the flop with AK, all the players at the table look at him with wondering eyes, and one of them said to him, man if you fold AK then what are you then going to play.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Normally I have no problem going all in with AK but 1st hand of the tournament? No freaking way.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It don't make sense, 1st hand of tournament a 3 bet should be like 200 chips.. if you got a 3k starting stack a fold is not out of line but calling is not wrong either. I sometimes think in poker There is never a wrong choice only bad outcomes.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, going all-in with AK preflop early is very different from calling someone else's all-in with the same hand. You can get someone to fold if you are leading the all-in, but if you are calling, no one will likely fold. An AK is a marginal hand unless it connects with the flop either an A or a K, or a QJT, or a flush. With an AK, you could call a 3-bet though to see the flop. all-in on first hand with any hand is bad play unless you are in a freeroll or low stakes game. Then you might even go all-in with any two broadways. Later in the tourney when your bigblinds fall below 20 or maybe even less, then you can consider all-in with this hand. No need to do it deep-stacked.

M

mohamed nefzi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is good for flips if you are the last aggressor in microstakes or freerolls,let's say you are in the CO someone raised from OOP you don't 3bet and go to flop just shove you have perfect equity to win the pot either preflop or post flop just fold it if the first player to act has been already all in unless you have a read on him and your effective stack is 3 times or more the pot size of the All in player. In big buy ins not need to commit big pots with it in early stages AK is always performing better in late stages and when ITM.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold and see another hand. Too risky.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
This could go either way. Just depends on how much the buy in was, do you have any previous info on the player. I hate coin flips on a good day. As you said you lost, but hey next time it could win.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, in my opinion this depends on the tournament.
But I think it's too early to do crazy things.
[emoji106][emoji43][emoji43]

K

Kaski54

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, in my opinion this depends on the tournament.
But I think it's too early to do crazy things.
[emoji106][emoji43][emoji43]

Thank You all for yours suggestions and recommendations.
I am playing poker to win tournaments and I hate losing them.
I have asked You a question since I have lost one in a first-hand what was disappointing and confusing since It never happened to me (at first hand to be precise).
I agree it is a crazy thing to flip a coin at this stage. I thought however AK is a mighty hand (I have hit K on the flop but as I mentioned earlier somebody else has won with flush).
Now I know it is strong but later on, in a little bit different situations.
Still learning.
Faster with You guys!
Thank You again!

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what tournament is and how much is the buy-in of that tournament. If the buy-in is large and you do not want to immediately drop it then fold. Because it is a coin flip, surely the opponent had some stronger pair, maybe AA or KK, that's the best fold.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have asked You a question since I have lost one in a first-hand what was disappointing and confusing since It never happened to me (at first hand to be precise).
I agree it is a crazy thing to flip a coin at this stage. I thought however AK is a mighty hand (I have hit K on the flop but as I mentioned earlier somebody else has won with flush).
Still learning.
Faster with You guys!
Thank You again!
Yes man, the start of the tournament is a point where people are a little crazy, adrenaline is high because it is a time when all are paired in chips. Everyone wants to get ahead in that moment.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Still learning.
Faster with You guys!
Thank You again!

Hey
Thats the beauty of this CC community.
You get a lot of good advise.

But let me add anothet important point and maybe I am wrong on this, go with your Gut feeling.

If you sense it, be positive and play.

Even an AA would have lost in that situation to a flush.
So it doesnt matter AK or AA.
If you have to win you will with AK too.

Good luck

P.s I would have folded to that and also I would have been the one to shove all in and made the other player fold. Either way you win or lose. And the end its a game so enjoy it:).

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a 3 bet was small with AK, so you have to wonder if the big blind senses weakness in your bet and is out to steal or just protecting his position. An all in is a good option here I think.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pass.the first distribution of an Ace King pass even if his hand is worse, only kings and aces, tournament share

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands