My first Deep Stack Tournament

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to play my first live deep stack tournament today. From what I have researched online here are the key differences to full stack tournaments:

-Top pair loses value: Playing big TPTK goes down in value due to the ability for opponents to afford to chase bigger hands. Barreling these hands should be done from time to time but not as often as normal

-1 gaped hand and suited connectors increase in value: Bigger stacks allow you to call and bet your draws more liberally due to the implied odds of being able to stack your opponent when you make the nuts, and 1 gaped hand disguise straights very well

-Using position even more important for pot control of marginal hands and putting opponents in tough positions while avoiding tough positions yourself

-Playing all pairs: set mining to stack opponents should be done more often from all positions.

Any thoughts? I am looking to make a deep stack live game once a month so any advice would be great!

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I Play deep stack on 888 and I do much as a Normal Tournament, the only difference been that you can afford to play more hands and pay to stop Bluffers.

CforChampion

CforChampion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deep stacks are my favourite on pokerstars, I always seem to do well in them :)

I usually play them like a normal tournament but people tend to play a little more loose so you can take advantage of that.

I also like to bully the smaller stacks as it gets to the middle stage of the tournament.

Anyway GL in the live tournament! :D

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks C.

For the record I didn't take my own advice and played very poorly! As soon as I sat down, I had my regular game blinders on, I did the exact opposite of what I said I should do(overplaying TPTK hands), and got burned by people who did what I was going to do (playing marginal prospective hands to flop/draw the nuts)!

Very frustrating, but a lesson learn (an expensive one at that). I was my own worst enemy at the table, but that's the way she goes. I plan on playing again next month, and that should give me lots of time to do more homework and get more practice!

CforChampion

CforChampion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks C.

For the record I didn't take my own advice and played very poorly! As soon as I sat down, I had my regular game blinders on, I did the exact opposite of what I said I should do(overplaying TPTK hands), and got burned by people who did what I was going to do (playing marginal prospective hands to flop/draw the nuts)!

Very frustrating, but a lesson learn (an expensive one at that). I was my own worst enemy at the table, but that's the way she goes. I plan on playing again next month, and that should give me lots of time to do more homework and get more practice!
Damn, hopefully you'll do better next time when you stick to your plan.

You can only come back stronger by studying. :)

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recognizing the mistake is already something very valuable! keep it up and you can improve your game every day!

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes but when you are a deep stack you have to open a lot more raises just to put some pressure on your opponents .. and if anyone of them shows agression you just fold