Final table play

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been having a good run of getting to final tables. However, I very rarely win. Is there a different way to play when at the final table? ie tighter, looser I know, usually, the better players are left so it should be harder to win hands,

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It hapenned to me sometimes... always get teh 9th... 8th... then i decided to be a little patient... i got a 2nd and 4th place

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to relax and be a little more aggressive, then there is a chance to take first place)

A

AlexeyMorozov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The game at the final tables is very similar to the game in the single-table sit and go, so in order to feel confident at the final table, train in this format of the game.

A

AlexeyMorozov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And do not forget that any table over heads-up, which also need to be able to play.

Sword

Sword

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no universal strategy, everyone has his own, but still I think with a large stack you can put pressure on players and the main goal should be the average stacks, since the ratio of risk to reward at this stage for them passes in the direction of risk and the situation....

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is necessary to be careful and attentive at the final table. You can squander your stack by playing too aggressively. The main thing to look at those who sit next to you.

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats! You have made the final table! Now what? Stay focused on the prize. Examine closely your position and the position of the other 8. Separate into groups top, middle and bottom 3. Try to avoid putting all your chippies at risk against a higher positioned player unless you have the goods. Steal them chips from the bb and sm if you have a great position. Be able to fold a middle pair against a raise and attack a smaller player with abandon. Awesome job! You made final 4 in 4th place so far. Everybody is waiting for you to bust so be relentless. Pick the best spot to scoop some chips. Nice Job! Only 3 players left. Your patience and concentration has worked, now, get some nice hands and take this down.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
the most advisable thing is to play passively always waiting for good hands and not pay very often, to be able to win at the fine table the ones that have the most chances of winning are the average apres and high hands of the same suit

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone suggested practice with single table SnGs. The 45 man SnGs on pokerstars is also good practice, because they allow you to see a final table 1 in 5 tournaments on average, and 7 places pay, so its not that different from the final table in a large MTT. The main thing about the final table is to be aware of payjumps and ICM. If someone is sitting on a very short stack, you dont want to let that player fold his way to a higher payout. Let him risk his stack, before you risk yours, unless its an absolute pristine spot like having aces or kings preflop, or flopping a set. Other than that just continue to play the same solid poker, that presumably brought you to the final table in the first place :)

J

jrsilvamg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The final table always demands a little more strategy, it needs to be aggressive to get the prize

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
be aggressive and you may lose, be too loose and you may lose, be too tight and you will not win. Balance of all these is the key to victory :)

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience first away loss came in ninth place, my advice, avoid crashing into the chip leader (if there is no choice) closes a little your range of hands. Play aggressive when you think you're winning. Do some lanterns, blind steals.
With that kind of game I won some tournaments, but above all it is possible to reach the definition, the least since 4th

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should play more tight than often if you have average stack, wait for payjumps and play your game

Watcheman

Watcheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch the video of final table of big tournaments.
I think this will give to you an understanding what should to do in certain situations.
Also you NEED to read books where there is a chapter on the final table.

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch the video of final table of big tournaments.
I think this will give to you an understanding what should to do in certain situations.
Also you NEED to read books where there is a chapter on the final table.

It's true, you can learn to play final tables by watching videos of final tables. There are thousands.
Each final table is different, it depends on stacks, the aggressiveness of the players, the blinds, etc.
In general, since the blinds are high, you should observe who you can attack to steal and have patience and good luck LOL

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have made a few final tables and have won some, both live and on line. I have learned that not everyone who makes a final table has been there before. They make mistakes so, be patient and take your time on every decision. Stack sizes are most important...avoid challenging the big stack if it's not you and prepare to be agressive against medium stacks when you sense the players are trying to just survive the next pay jump. Don't bluff unless you really know what you are doing and don't assume the others are bluffing....it doesn't happen often at final tables.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends Chip Stack

First off, you need to be very patient and play extremely tight.

If you are one of the higher stacks left, don't let the smaller stacks chip away at you by calling all their bets because you figure they can't take you out. Just sit back and fold while the little guys take each other out.

If you are one of the lower stacks you need to be a little more aggressive with your playable cards and only play cards you are willing to commit your entire stack to.

Hope this helps you in some way and GOOD LUCK to you at your next final table!!!:D

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been having a good run of getting to final tables. However, I very rarely win. Is there a different way to play when at the final table? ie tighter, looser I know, usually, the better players are left so it should be harder to win hands,

Being a big stack, you can put pressure on all players, but your main goal should be medium stacks, since the risk to reward ratio for them at this stage is skewed towards risk, and in some situations they may have “hands tied”. Doubling does not double their equity in the tournament, while a departure from the tournament, when there are three or four shorter stacks left after them, costs them a lot of money. Therefore, in order to take risks, they need to be significantly ahead. Coinflip ICM exposure at this stage is close to suicide for them.
As always, you need a plan, and you must adapt to changing circumstances. For example, the above situation is almost ideal and unlikely. Short stacks will often have quite a few chips to damage your stack. In addition, it is unlikely that other large stacks will allow you to rule the table, and will not interfere with being the chip leader all the way.
Being a medium stack, your goal, of course, is to fill a large stack! Now that we have stated the obvious, the key question is how to do this. Attack those who are in the same situation as you. As mentioned above, their hands are also tied. The difference between the medium and large stack will always be different. Remember this chip difference that you need to compensate for and how you can harm deeper stacks, for example, players in second or third places when you are in fourth or fifth) I also recommend that you better study the ICM model in a certain software, in order to follow the stacks of all players and make informed decisions and make competent folds

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many comments have already said the solution. If it is me who is first, I try to press those who are last.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually a tighter approach brings you to like 4th position, instead of finishing like 8th maybe. But if you want to win, you need to be more aggressive. I have been 3rd in tournaments where I could also have won the tournament, but I also have been 3rd where no way I could have been 1st. So yeah, I would say there is not really a general strategy. Play and go for it.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was said above a lot of smart things! From myself I will add that the final table is preceded by a fairly long game short-handed! Some players can not time to adjust their ranges at a full table! Compute these players and their use is not balanced game! Good luck and more final tables!

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't change my game, play the way you got there.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You might want to practice playing Single Table Tournaments because they are close in table structure to what you would experience at a Final Table.

For example no new players get moved to your table. From nine players to six to four and three and finally headsup. In my view when these number of players are left the table plays differently.

And you must get comfortable with headsup play if you are going to win. And, headsup is a totally different game than what you were playing for the last few hours.

Start whipping some STTs and you will have better confidence and experience in how to win a Final Table.

Good luck !

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the final table, I play depending on the size of my stack. The main thing here is to be patient. If at the final table your stack is less than 10BB, then the optimal strategy is push / fold. In this situation, you can not allow the blinds to pass through you. With a stack size of 20+ BB, I try to play aggressively.

Last edited: