Final table nerves/woes

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I final tabled online MTTs in 2 consecutive nights after bubbling one just a few days ago, and on both final tables (8-max) I finished 5th. I must be doing something right to get this far, one was a 600+ field one was 400+, but I think finishing between 4th and 15th in a tourney is infinitely more frustrating than min cashing or even not cashing at all.

Does anyone find they play worse or different at a final table? or maybe im just being too hard on myself and it was mostly variance. But the pay jumps are so significant to my bankroll that it’s hard not to have regrets. Sure 5th place increased my bankroll by 16%, but a win would have more than doubled it. Maybe it’s best not to look at the money at all.

Sorry for these speculative posts that don’t pose much of a straightforward question lol, it’s mostly to get stuff off my chest.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I play a lot different on final table. One cause they might tape it and you don't want to show you bluff. two if they are taping it you don't want to be to ****y. Just want a nice and cool rythme. The kind you come from behind to place first. There is one thing I am ****y with its heads up. I usually just go all in and pray. I win a lot doing that.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I final tabled online MTTs in 2 consecutive nights after bubbling one just a few days ago, and on both final tables (8-max) I finished 5th. I must be doing something right to get this far, one was a 600+ field one was 400+, but I think finishing between 4th and 15th in a tourney is infinitely more frustrating than min cashing or even not cashing at all.

Does anyone find they play worse or different at a final table? or maybe im just being too hard on myself and it was mostly variance. But the pay jumps are so significant to my bankroll that it’s hard not to have regrets. Sure 5th place increased my bankroll by 16%, but a win would have more than doubled it. Maybe it’s best not to look at the money at all.

Sorry for these speculative posts that don’t pose much of a straightforward question lol, it’s mostly to get stuff off my chest.

You're good, I'm glad to see posts like this where people are having "legitimate" questions and concerns with their game VS. some of the nutty posts I have seen.

As long as you played your best game, you did all you can do. Some days it's just not your day to win. You should be proud of your finish. Only time there would be an issue is if you felt like you were making bad calls and getting lucky. A lot of people get far in tournaments based on luck rather skill. So as long as you feel good with your play then there is no need to question your finishes. Keep playing well and you will bink some tournaments soon.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot different on final table. One cause they might tape it and you don't want to show you bluff. two if they are taping it you don't want to be to ****y. Just want a nice and cool rythme. The kind you come from behind to place first. There is one thing I am ****y with its heads up. I usually just go all in and pray. I win a lot doing that.
What?

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I have to say to you my friend is congratulations being the first is just a consequence of the good game you do - you are dissatisfied with the result is human nature I would like to be as evolved in poker as you.:cool:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't want to be making any mistakes especially at the final table. Play snug have a hand nut hand or best hand poker. Avoid all in bluffs.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if I was on a poker 'team' I would want you with us. What a great attitude. You fought your way through to final tables and was rewarded with a nice jump in your bankroll and you are still thinking about your game and how you played. I agree with Memphisgrind about being proud of your accomplishments. That positive energy will nicely balance your "regrets". Yes, variance will always be there and next time you may not make the cash but you know, now, that when variance tips the scales your way that your game will be ready to respond with the right plays to let you win through.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The fact you made it so deep 3 times is a great accomplishment in such a short time. You should be proud of this result. The fact you did not go on to win should not concern you that much. You should just continue playing your game and you will see the wins come. Just remember, getting this deep in larger event don't happen that often. Enjoy the success you had getting there. If I told you you would make the final table of the main event of the wsop but finish 9th 2 years in a row would you be upset? probably not. Just enjoy the accomplishment. Keep up the good work.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fact you made it so deep 3 times is a great accomplishment in such a short time. You should be proud of this result. The fact you did not go on to win should not concern you that much. You should just continue playing your game and you will see the wins come. Just remember, getting this deep in larger event don't happen that often. Enjoy the success you had getting there. If I told you you would make the final table of the main event of the WSOP but finish 9th 2 years in a row would you be upset? probably not. Just enjoy the accomplishment. Keep up the good work.

Definitely agree with this. Going deep in a tournament and cashing like this is a big accomplishment. This means that you are doing something extremely right. When you get knocked out, take notes of what happened. Did you over-play a hand you should have? Did you slow play when you should have raised? Did you adjust your game to the players that end up at your table?

Just remember, have fun! Especially when you cash and get up there!

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you doing all right!!! Keep on bro. And the first place is coming soon.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I play differently in each final table, I have not played as many as some but in which I have arrived, I have noticed that I play differently, in some games more secure, with more calm, in others it takes more risks, even bad decisions, many times it is the circumstances that arise in the game, so I do not think you should be so hard on yourself, we can not always play equally well or regularly at a final table, we just have to try to learn from our mistakes and try to correct them

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
more final tables and first place will definitely be yours !!! play sit-end-go 9 players, I think it will be good practice for the final table !!!

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to congratulate you for making it to the final table because it is a difficult task. Throughout my journey in poker, I have done a 5 final table and won a 3. At the table the game is the same, which changes that are just the last best of the tournament, so be smart.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the final table of the game should be aggressive, but you need to understand who is playing with you at the table. Sometimes it is better to wait the beginning of the final table, and then concentrate on their opponents.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally when I manage to rank among the top 6. I am fully satisfied with my resullat because it is very difficult to achieve this goal. At the beginning of the tournament luck counts for 20% while at the end of tournaments that goes to 60% so I think that playing aggressive squeeze at the final table is in my opinion the best solution for not having regret.

K

KuprinMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Your task is to take positive actions in each specific situation, regardless of the stage of the tournament. Of course, at the final table, the ICM factor should be taken into account, but positive decisions cannot be clamped down and missed because of fear.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the warm replies guys!! Still working on my game and starting to view each hand in a vacuum, only making some minor adjustments due to ICM

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have already made the final table twice:0) no need to be letting your nerves get the best of you:0) we all go through that stage now you have;0) hopefully you get there a couple more times and take them all:0) just stay relaxed you already know your good enough:0) good luck on the next one