Effective stack size

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was watching a video on 3max / jackpot / spin-and-go, and the author was discussing effective stack size. I've heard it before, and I think most of us know it means to base your play on the shortest stack. After all, if I have 32BB but my opponent only has 12BB, then my extra 20BB won't effectively come in to play.

So far, so good. But... during the video, the author goes on to discuss situations where he's recommending pushing all-in first from the button, if you have a good (but not great) hand (like ATo) and the effective stack size is 15BB.

So, let's say I'm on the button with 40BB, and the small blind has 15BB, and the big blind has 45BB. If it were heads up, I'd be a lot more prone to shove. But in this example, the big blind has me covered. Yes, I can't get my extra chips in against the small blind since he has 15BB vs my 40BB, but I'm not just playing against the small blind!

I'm thinking that in a case like this, maybe instead of shoving, maybe I should just bet an amount that would put the small blind all in. So I have in effect, shoved against the SB, but not the BB.

Thoughts?

(I'm not looking for an analysis of whether ATo is worth shoving in this spot so much as how I should handle the effective stack size. It's 15BB when I think about playing the SB, but I feel that I need to take into account that the big blind has me covered.)

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I would take in consideration the way that BB has been playing also. If he happens to be a loose player, you better think twice before shoving. And if you just raise like you said, think that the BB could shove and put pressure on you, forcing you to probably fold !!!

nikolaevich87

nikolaevich87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was watching a video on 3max / jackpot / spin-and-go, and the author was discussing effective stack size. I've heard it before, and I think most of us know it means to base your play on the shortest stack. After all, if I have 32BB but my opponent only has 12BB, then my extra 20BB won't effectively come in to play.

So far, so good. But... during the video, the author goes on to discuss situations where he's recommending pushing all-in first from the button, if you have a good (but not great) hand (like ATo) and the effective stack size is 15BB.

So, let's say I'm on the button with 40BB, and the small blind has 15BB, and the big blind has 45BB. If it were heads up, I'd be a lot more prone to shove. But in this example, the big blind has me covered. Yes, I can't get my extra chips in against the small blind since he has 15BB vs my 40BB, but I'm not just playing against the small blind!

I'm thinking that in a case like this, maybe instead of shoving, maybe I should just bet an amount that would put the small blind all in. So I have in effect, shoved against the SB, but not the BB.

Thoughts?

(I'm not looking for an analysis of whether ATo is worth shoving in this spot so much as how I should handle the effective stack size. It's 15BB when I think about playing the SB, but I feel that I need to take into account that the big blind has me covered.)

I would take in consideration the way that BB has been playing also. If he happens to be a loose player, you better think twice before shoving. And if you just raise like you said, think that the BB could shove and put pressure on you, forcing you to probably fold !!!

I think that if two friends are not strong players, then I just call, and then, according to the situation!

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just came across this at www.bestpokercoaching.com

This makes a lot more sense to me:

"...the effective stack is determined by the player with the smallest stack currently in play in a heads-up situation. If we’re in a 3-handed pot, the effective stack is the second largest chip stack. Very simple."

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ Of course, I'm also interested in following what the video author says, but I'm wondering if he might have misspoke?? I'm pretty sure he actually said it's the shortest stack, but he might have misspoke, I reckon...especially since English is not his native language.