Early game strategy

joe mckenzie

joe mckenzie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your strategy when it come to playing the early game of a tournament? I don’t think my aggressive start is working out too well and I’d love to get feedback on this.

T

TJH90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play quite tight early on and loosen up as the tourney goes on.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If its a freezeout, tighter to me is better, if it's a rebuy tourney, you can play a little more aggressive.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning you have to be aggressive but reasonable I do not say that you can bounce all in. So you have AA if not reasons that can get you out of the tournament very easy so presumed to have the winning hand at the statisticians level I have lost more hands AA prflop than I have won prefieor make ups and resubidad that an all in if you give a project to a letter for color or ladder clear run influence other things too

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most game theories will advise you to observe a few rounds every time you change table, but certainly at the start of a tournament.
First play tight and collect info on your opponents, then start to play more hands.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the first few levels, you want to play tight and aggressive. However, don't risk too much of your stack early on unless you have a very strong hand. Once the blinds increase a few times and the antes start, you must loosen up your starting hand requirements and keep up the aggression. It helps if you can do this before the other players because (1) your tight play earlier will help you get more folds and (2) once the other players also loosen up, you'll want to shift back to a tighter playing style. Tournaments require constantly changing up your playing style and knowing exactly when to change is the key.

M

muraokaps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very tight early on, because the chips don't have much value as they have later on, and also because I have no idea of what my opponents are playing with. That's my strategy.

joe mckenzie

joe mckenzie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the insight guys, it’s very much appreciated. Love a friendly community which is willing the help and discuss everything related to poker

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Paid tournaments I tend to play more tight, freerolls will depending on the opponents style, generally I play more loose.

I play aggressive, unless that there anyone who are callstation or that always raise my bets.

I advise you to choose your hands in according of your place in the table, prefer play in the last position, don't get involved in hands with many raises before you, unless if you have the top of your range.

Aggressivenes is also important, but there are some moments that the is more proflitable, like when you are in the last position with so many players in the hand, call in this situation with suited conectors and anothers good especulative cards can be lucrative, I per exemple like to play low pais against many players, when I hit a set on the flop, generally I win a lot of chips, but with caution against flush, straight or if appears two pairs in the board, difficily will be other set, but if you suspect someone has, be careful.

T

Tatomircg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your strategy when it come to playing the early game of a tournament? I don’t think my aggressive start is working out too well and I’d love to get feedback on this.
use a few chips from the stack to play the hands that u normally don t play...maybe u get lucki...lets say 500 chips out of 2000 ....to play around

E

Edvin55555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in extremely tight style. I don't bluff because players on pokerstars are pretty tough and smart to make heroic calls.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EARLY TOURNMENT

Search tigh play at the beginning and in position with hands that are playable

And if you have good hands do normal raises 2-4 x or higher if your hand is strong and there is very limp

Anyway conservative plays since the beginning everyone has a stack with many big blinds and this can cause a cooler is more frequent

:jd4:mateuspoker

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early game is good for constructing good hands. I play what I think might make a good hand such as small suited connectors, pocket pairs and large suited connectors. What I'm trying to do with these preflop selections is make a strong hand (3 of a kind or better)sometimes a 2 pair is not bad either.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it depends a lot on the opponents. If I have a decent edge I try and play tight and look for spots to exploit my edge. If I don't have an edge then I will try to play more balanced.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play position with any suited connectors online.

R

RDSIV023

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing loose is ok early but you should try tightening up as you get closer to the bubble; if you don't you can be playing great but loosen up too much and and next thing you know.... Gone! You wasted not only time but great play that should have rewarded you with at least the ITM... I HATE when I do that dumb shit!!!!

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight play is best early. Blinds are small and it only takes one big hand to put yourself into a good spot. Be patient.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
depending on which tournament is and the time of the blinds passive game and as the tournament progresses I play a little more aggressive, although I do not always do the same, sometimes aggressive start and then with more calm, many times it varies

w0oferr

w0oferr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet with very tight range. Play in position and try to find good spots to win a huge pot and double up.
Interesting to know how you guys are playing situations like this early in a tourney(50+BBs deep): AQo in SB after UTG open, AJs in UTG +2 after UTG open and medium pairs in the BB vs a EP raiser and a BTN caller?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it’s a freeroll or a micro stakes tournament I’ll play tight early unless I have KK or AA as too many people go all in early. Once the crazies are gone I’ll loosen up. The advantage there too is if you are at the same table and people are paying attention, they mark you as tight so you can steal some pots then too.

More reasonable tournaments and the freeroll club CC I’ll play more hands as I’m not as afraid someone will go all in after I raise.

jamie Smith

jamie Smith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play tight in the early stages of the MTT.... until the next phase where your close to the bubble, if you have a reasonable stack, people start tightening up to protect their chip stacks to min cash... Deffo Tight at the start... only play monsters

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the most important thing, play as the most comfortable you!! And if you are not comfortable playing, then there will be mistakes and losses.

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play tight, dont risk early when a blinds small, be agressive in position latter.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages of the tournament I play very tight and try to avoid difficult decisions.

Top 10 Games