Don't be afraid of the bubble

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard this in a string of tips from Maria Ho. However, I often catch myself folding everything to make it ITM, even premium hands because I don't want to miss out. I'm trying to work on this, but it's tough. It's the most unnerving point in the game for me unless I've got a stack.

In any case, she suggests taking down pots since most people do exactly what I'm talking about (just folding). I'm not sure how best to pull this off though.

Anyone with any good experience playing through the bubble, please post here. I'd love to hear from you. :)

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stillfiguring it out myself. So looking forward to the answers you get. Currently I play position and shove with premium hands. Though I will fold some premium hands, if two or more behind me raise.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stillfiguring it out myself. So looking forward to the answers you get. Currently I play position and shove with premium hands. Though I will fold some premium hands, if two or more behind me raise.

I get so afraid of shoving because I don't want to lose a coin toss. But it seems like sometimes I might have to do this and just accept any losses as part of the game...

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same fear of you.I fold AA KK QQ before the money.I prefer money than nothing.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that the best time to steal blinds is during the bubble. Imo pay attention to the passive players and middle stacks. Avoid big stacks and small stacks unless you have decent cards. Big stacks can call just for the lulz and small ones might push or call out of desperation. Thats why I prefer medium stacks. They have more to loose than the other two. Just make sure to pick your spots carefully and make sure you don't try to take everything because that warrants people to call you down.

Atleast that is how I try to burst the bubble. Good luck!

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have premium hands don’t fold, push hard don’t be afraid. If you establish image of tight player, that will help you, even big stack players wouldn’t mess with you. Of course you need to pick right time to do it and always play position

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard this in a string of tips from Maria Ho. However, I often catch myself folding everything to make it ITM, even premium hands because I don't want to miss out. I'm trying to work on this, but it's tough. It's the most unnerving point in the game for me unless I've got a stack.

In any case, she suggests taking down pots since most people do exactly what I'm talking about (just folding). I'm not sure how best to pull this off though.

Anyone with any good experience playing through the bubble, please post here. I'd love to hear from you. :)

You just have to realize the increased fold equity. If you know you still have a station on your table that has you covered and your stack isn't under 20bb then there really isn't any reason to "gamble" the spots that Maria is most likely talking about is picking up dead money (stealing blinds from passive players) and putting pressure on the mid stacks that are "preserving"

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

this moment is the most tense because everyone is waiting for the player to fall for the other players to enter the money, at that point the game is tense because everyone wants to win some money so the hand are less played, only hand awards or the chipleader who is with a good chip advantage tries to extract the max, I always play the bubble calmly, avoid getting into hands with cards without connectivity, it is always connected cards or high pairs, and if I estimate with a little plug in the bubble the way is to go allin with any connected card, eg AQ, 9T, JQ, TJ, KQ, and so on even lower pairs are an allin option when it comes to bubble, of course, depends on the value in question. $$$

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the bubble to play as loony, especially with premium hands. Spit that don't get in prizes, the main cast a profitable line.

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, I also do not know all the subtleties, and even recently I learned that the Four of a kind has a kicker. BUT. 8 years playing with interruptions.

I played poker stars in leagues and learned very much how to survive before a bubble. I calculate the BB to get there in ITM,

my ITM%: 22.5%

even this is so-so, 30% is already very high in MTT. where thousands of people play.

if you have itm 10% then you are a very weak player and you do not have strategy and tactics.

what is your itm? There are many sites where you can see it.

read about icm!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can fold K-K cause everyone with A-4 can beat you but I never fold A-A, it's foolishly

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had mixed results on the bubble.Sometimes I am confident, other times I get devoured.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suffer the very same problem. My suggestion would be to make sure you understand expected value (and the difference between chipEV and $EV) and the independent chip model. This mathematical knowledge should give you the confidence you need to survive the bubble more often as you can be more sure the scary move you're making will show profit in the long run. You're still going to be folding some good holdings and you'll be raising with a wider range.
Even as I type this I know I don't always follow this advice but I know from the maths what I should be doing. If anyone has any tips on the psychology of the situation (basically how to feel braver!) I'd love to hear them.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on a how much that bubble worth. If it's a 2000$ bubble and you have 500$ BR, it's reasonable thing to do. Even pro's fold good hands on a big money bubble. But if you playing on your limits, the right way to go for a win rather than mincashing.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get so afraid of shoving because I don't want to lose a coin toss. But it seems like sometimes I might have to do this and just accept any losses as part of the game...

I responded late last night I should have clarified this, as this strategy I use when I have 2m or less. or 4BB or less. Otherwise I will check the board (evaluate the players) and raise vs. shove if in position with passive players in front.

Regardless of whether its freeroll or paid tourney. I figure if I am following the odds and my math is ok (its never perfect yet), i'll take my losses in stride. Consequently I lost the "fear", but with a calculated approach (at least that is what I think I am doing) I am sure if I had a coach they would tear apart my game.

Still trying to learn how to properly self analyze my play...

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, as Einstein said, everything's relative. If I have a big enough stack that I can not only easily make the bubble but also have a good chance to make the big money then I will not take a chance on a shoving war. But, that situation doesn't come along very often so my pre-bubble play will focus on avoiding plays out of position and not playing against the big stacks. I look for spots in position against the medium stacks (the short stacks are liable to shove any time) because they are the ones most likely to fold. And, I don't necessarily shove pre-flop. Some times a big bet like 8-10 BBs is all that is needed.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for the replies! :)

I really appreciate all the advice as I am still learning many aspects of this game.

I thought about it some more last night after my initial post, and I think it's best to only be folding if I am extremely short stacked and just need to make it ITM. However, I am going to be less fearful with my top pocket pairs going forward.

If I catch one of these hands, and have a reasonable stack, I am going to play it. I don't tend to shove, so a reasonable opening bet or raise makes sense, and I can always defend my position with the right hole cards.

Time will tell if I will be a strong player, but a lot of what you all are describing makes sense. I will do my best to apply it.

Thanks again! I look forward to reading more from all of you! :)

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker would definitely be much tougher if people did this.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All write that are afraid to play in the prize, and even throw away premium hands. But if you're afraid to play why the enemy do not apply more than a bluff, and so pick up your BB . I think you need to play the same rhythm as you were playing before, and even more aggressive.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A very good tip from Maria. But the only problem you need to have two things for that: relative deep stack + a table that allows you that. If you're so short, that you just do push or fold and there are many players those are covering you more as twice. Well it's a pretty bad idea trying to go wild. Most of the time it will end pretty quick and pretty sad. Bubbled.

Even if your stack deep enough, but there are couple of guys, who have even deeper stacks and loose-aggressive or even maniacs. Maybe it's better give up trying to steal, when they in hand and wait for a really playable hand.

But if you have reasonable deep stack & mostly tight players, you gotta put even more pressure at your villains on bubble time, as it's best time for steal.

Good luck you all on bubble, let your shoves win! ;)

2PjB8.jpg

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on my stack size compared to the players around me whether I involve myself with the hands. Normally i’ll only play premium hands in the button or blind positions where there easy shove positions with no previous callers otherwise I’ll stay clear.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
when the bubble is close, I try to play normal, which is not easy, because many things come to my head at that time, especially when they are important tournaments, I just try to be careful with those players bet everything by pressing the rest, I try to follow my instinct and I take advantage of all the opportunities that I consider can increase my stack

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally IMO Maria Ho is of dubious poker skill. Her WSOPE was shameful and any1 can call themselves a pro. I would avoid 0% edge coin flips as all they do is as volatility to your game.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the size of there stacks, it is a good time to pick off some blinds from tighter players.