Does anyone else hate rebuys as much as I do?

ethon

ethon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sit back in the rebuy stages of a tournament, waiting for a premium hand or getting into a flop for cheap, but the loose play of other players really throws me off my game. People are just so willing to shove with next to nothing, and will inevitably suck out against my premium in some bizarre fashion.

Other then making sure I get my money in well, is there any other tips anyone has for rebuy strategies?

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I avoid them like the plague, but I have read, maybe here to rebuy off the bat and add on when the time comes. I rarely play them but don't rebuy in the beginning and just add on, I don't cash in them though, lol.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like them fine. I play tight, since so many are playing so loose. Usually I double up early, and never need to rebuy. If a loose player's hand happens to beat me, then I rebuy (no more than twice). I don't get greedy. I add-on, unless I have a massive stack -- which would be unusual. I particularly like rebuy satellites. A rebuy sat produces so many seats, it's funny. Dang they're sweet. And, BTW, let's hear it for T$!

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are loose, aggressive, and trying to accumulate chips before the rebuys end because that's the proper strategy for the game. I don't love them myself because it's much more difficult to put people on a hand, but if you're a LAG player by nature, I suspect you'll love the first few rounds of a rebuy tourney.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sit back in the rebuy stages of a tournament, waiting for a premium hand or getting into a flop for cheap, but the loose play of other players really throws me off my game. People are just so willing to shove with next to nothing, and will inevitably suck out against my premium in some bizarre fashion.

Other then making sure I get my money in well, is there any other tips anyone has for rebuy strategies?

I gotta ask??? If you hate rebuys as your title suggests WHY PLAY THEM:confused:

You have so much choice

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to double up with a premium hand or rebuy once.
Then take tha add on and try to double again with a good hand.
Many players can´t change their game after the break....
Then you got a good chance to get into the money!

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When in Rome...

If I can afford the rebuys I just join the crowd...I take a shot at the biggest pots...after 1 ...maybe 2 tries ...I settle down and play much tighter poker...but that's only when I have money to lose...which is next to never!:p :) :rolleyes: !

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the $3.30+r on PS. Play it almost everyday, cash over half the time.
If you can afford to play in the rebuy, then loosen your game, see more flops with suited connectors and lower ppr's, call the ai's with 88 or better. You really need to accumulate chips early on to survive into the cash.

I almost always do the add on. Only time I don't is if I'm running really bad and I'm about to take a break anyways.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The rebuys are frustrating with the loose play. You can rack up a great purse in the tournament for you when you cash, and, I think you have to play very disciplined at the start.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
much to the contrary - I love rebuys

I don't rebuy.

Well almost never..

I like the added money of the guys who rebuy to the max only to donk out again immeadiately.

It's a bit harder to get to the FT I agree and you get sucked out more often than usual but the increased money pays up for that imo.

I love the 90 player 3.30$ R/A KO SNG on FT - if only I had more time to play them...:(.

Last week I took one opponent out 4 times in a row - got my buy-in back quickly in that one - and won it. :D

D

Dam Yankee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the 1st hr in them alittle frustrating. I only play in micro ones - and usually if that's the only thing i see registering at the moment i want to play. But i agree that some ppl can't adjust their game after rebuy ends. But, if u can survive past the rebuy, do the add-on, the field seems to narrow rather quickly to the $. It seems like the players play like they have unlimited funds, and thats not how i treat my BR. BUT - if u can end up deep, the moneys good, thx to all those re-buys! But all in all, I prefer tourny play based on equal chances more than how deep ur pockets are. I find that if I have a nice stack when the blinds start to get lg, say, 300&600, & 400 & 800, the field drops very quickly - so I play tight for awhile. All that folding really makes u aware of the other players styles, then u can play the player more than ur cards cuz u have accumulated alot of info on their play. Good luck at the tables!

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play rebuys often, but what I like about them is that it forces you to have a very flexible strategy. Also, if you bankroll yourself 4-5 rebuys and the add-on, you can make some mistakes and not be severely handicapped early on.

B

bmfbpi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the thing i like in rebuys is the added
money in the prize pool

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice is just accept them for what they are and stick to freezeouts if you can't handle the early stage variance. Srsly.

JeffJaze

JeffJaze

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah. i dont even play re-buy events, full of over aggressive high bank donks who just shove everyhand thru the 1st hour to try to build a stack

L

luckytokenz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'v won a few tournaments that were re-buy's and I had to re-buy in those. I'v also won re-buys and I didn't rebuy .They are ok, but your bankroll should be able to handle a re-buy, if your bankroll can't take the hits from rebuy tournaments you shouldn't be playing them. As far as strategy, I would generally stay tight, but you can loosen up a little, not much tho, because everyone else is loose too so you want to be going in with an edge, and that edge is staying slightly tighter than average in rebuys. Play your strong hands to the maximum because people with call your raises all day long with J9s and the such, so you need to put pressure on them if your holding is strong. always add-on, and keep a limit to how many rebuys you are going to do if you have to. I honestly try not to rebuy if I don't have to. It is true too that most people don't know how to shift gears as the tourament progresses and this is a profitable mistake to capitalize on if you are aware of whats happening at the table.

C

chapstick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy's offer the best prize pool with a small buy in. If you don't get up in rebuying and adding on, u'll be fine in those...

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
whoever has money to burn in there account can play extra loose and usually rewarded for very dumb moves

Sorry but this just isn't true. odds and outs don't change just because it's a rebuy and during the rebuy period it's not necessarily "dumb" to take some risks with the goal of building a big stack.

What's dumb is entering a rebuy with scared money when what you really wanted to play was a freezeout.

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have a basis on which i do them...play them super tight..do my best not to plsy the first ten minutes, or the last ten minutes before break..and i always add on,...I actually wont rebuy, so if i get knocked out then thats it...i know im putting my self at a disadvantage by doing this, but if im gonna do good, then i should be able to do it..and im getting great value for money by oing it this way, which is the best thing a poker player can hope for..

S

sasquatch01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play them but i usally dont rebuy just the fact there are to many donkeys trying to get up there on every hand then when u do get a good hand u get beat by a crappy hand it just sucks the one game i like rebuying on is the 3000 on carbon poker if u make it to 10 its a good pay out

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

"throws me off my game" maybe you need to consider altering 'your game' when playing in them??

I love alot of the comments in this thread... sounds like they come from freezeout players expecting other's to conform to their style of play in a rebuy.
Rebuys are really a deepstack tourney that starts once the rebuy period is over. They actually favour the more skilled player (instead of the opposite as so many on here are assuming or insinuating) because of the oppurtunity to play deepstacked poker.

My tip/suggestion.... enter with intentions of spending ~ 5x the buyin amount, learn how to build a stack during the rebuy period and read up on playing deepstacked poker. These can actually be great tournaments to play in as there's more oppurtunity to play poker than so many of the typical tournaments you'll find online (ie. the 1500 starting stack ones).

Oskool

Oskool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't rebuy

90% of the time I don't rebuy. A couple weeks ago I got knocked out first hand on a bodog $100K qualifyer with a straight on the flop (I went all in and another guy sucked out with a full house on the river). I walked away.

I usually will do the add on depending on where I'm at with my chip stack. If I've got a very small stack, I'll just cut my losses. If I've got a huge chip stack, I won't add on. If I'm anywhere near the middle, I'll add on to stay competitive.

I usually don't play rebuys though because I'm not much of a fan.

P

Pacman1042

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuys SUCK its just another reason for stupid players to knock out the good players with crappy cards and if they cant do it the first time they can do it the second time

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rebuys are friggin awesome, they have the potential of a very high ROI due to a possible small investment for a big return...I personally like them, then again I made a good amount off them too :D