Do you think "Real Name" MTTs will create a safer more connected community?

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A very interesting social experiment, indeed. I am not a fan of my full real name being visible to anyone, especially since I don't want them to know. My feelings and thoughts go WAY beyond the virtual poker table.

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's interesting when you know that is actually that person playing against you, but could be a burden for some known poker player 'cause there will be a lot of pressure on them, everyone whants to take their life at the poker table.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
The word 'safety' is used many times in the article, but how does this make the game safer for online players? Using real names doesn't stop e.g. collusion.

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This appears little more than a half baked idea at promotion.

As Nafor has noted above, party poker pitches it is about safety but then also its about community, a somewhat contrived mixed message.

As regards safety, the vast majority enjoy anonymity otherwise they would not use screen names. Further, I think the average player has more concerns/questions about how the sites own RNG works than any other 'safety' issue - what exactly are the day to day safety concerns players are having? Nothing is specified so it feels like a construct for marketing.

Then we have Kevin Hart who has been re-cycled as pitchman. I am well aware Kevin Hart has an enormous social media presence...but seriously? Hart appeared to do little through his span with pokerstars but act shouty and embarrassing every time he was featured. PokerStars evidently felt a lack of ROI on their celebrity investment so presumably cut him loose.

In my opinion it's a weird marketing promo about (virtually) non-existent issues being pitched by a loud Hollywood star.

Color me skeptical but it's an odd mix of half-baked ideas and personality.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

As Nafor has noted above, Party Poker pitches it is about safety but then also its about community, a somewhat contrived mixed message.

As regards safety, the vast majority enjoy anonymity otherwise they would not use screen names. Further, I think the average player has more concerns/questions about how the sites own RNG works than any other 'safety' issue - what exactly are the day to day safety concerns players are having? Nothing is specified so it feels like a construct for marketing.

Then we have Kevin Hart who has been re-cycled as pitchman. I am well aware Kevin Hart has an enormous social media presence...but seriously? Hart appeared to do little through his span with PokerStars but act shouty and embarrassing every time he was featured. PokerStars evidently felt a lack of ROI on their celebrity investment so presumably cut him loose.

In my opinion it's a weird marketing promo about (virtually) non-existent issues being pitched by a loud Hollywood star.

I agree with ya. I personally don’t place much weight on celebrity endorsements because they don’t speak to the actual quality of online poker. I do respect poker celebrity endorsements a bit more but I mostly rely on my firsthand research on the platform and playing experience.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty interesting topic. There are few aspects of this, less bots but less privacy for players too, maybe someone don't want their name to be exposed. Poker rooms should make this happen only if bots and multi accounts can't be stopped.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with ya. I personally don’t place much weight on celebrity endorsements because they don’t speak to the actual quality of online poker. I do respect poker celebrity endorsements a bit more but I mostly rely on my firsthand research on the platform and playing experience.

My thoughts also regarding celebrities.

I am not really sure if any have drawn new poker players for the long term, At various points PokerStars promoted with both the Brazilian Ronaldo and the Portuguese Ronaldo, arguably the most famous footballers of their era- to what effect? Zero as far as I am aware.

I agree with you (and think most poker players would) a serious poker player has credibility but a celebrity, for the sake of being famous does not.

Kristersb123 -

Hear what you are saying regarding multi accounts and bots, but I simply presume most of us live with the idea (somewhat uncomfortably) that dubious things occur on line but doubt we are all playing on line every day, looking over our shoulder with 'safety' concerns.

I'd be much happier with a marketing release once a month or so with Party Poker (or whoever) simply stating they had resolved some site infractions and were constantly working to keep the site and play as fair as possible.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

As Nafor has noted above, Party Poker pitches it is about safety but then also its about community, a somewhat contrived mixed message.

As regards safety, the vast majority enjoy anonymity otherwise they would not use screen names.

Then we have Kevin Hart who has been re-cycled as pitchman. I am well aware Kevin Hart has an enormous social media presence...but seriously? Hart appeared to do little through his span with PokerStars but act shouty and embarrassing every time he was featured. PokerStars evidently felt a lack of ROI on their celebrity investment so presumably cut him loose.

agreed

I didn't even know he was previously hooked up with Pokerstars lol

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A very interesting social experiment, indeed. I am not a fan of my full real name being visible to anyone, especially since I don't want them to know. My feelings and thoughts go WAY beyond the virtual poker table.

Totally agree with Jacques, oops, I mean Shells, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, on this issue. Boggles my mind that PP thinks this sounds like a good idea. Can't resign from a site that has already banned me, but should any of the sites on which I can still play adopt this policy, I would no longer play.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
agreed

I didn't even know he was previously hooked up with Pokerstars lol

Poker Orifice-

It made for painful watching. Hart 'appeared' in several formats, some 'charity' events and some high rollers. His at table presence amounted to little more than noisily and incessantly berating his fellow players - comedy stylings in his own head one presumes.

You can find some of his PokerStars outings on You Tube but trust me, the viewing wears thin quickly.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is a good question, but i don't like to use my name on Internet, because ia a open zone full of good and bad people. In a utopic society yes, in this planet earth guetto no.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing that females enjoy - if they want to - in anonymity on the internet tables. With live poker, being female brings about many challenges that are avoided online with a gender-neutral screen name. If real names are used will some of the challenges of being a female in live poker make their way to the online tables?

Safe Poker Sites