Do you feel like a loser leaving on a bubble ?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The loss on the bubble can be different. You can become aggressive because of the loss of time and effort. Or you can take it easy and learn from the situation. In any case, staying one step away from the prize zone will be quite an unpleasant moment. Do you feel like a loser leaving on a bubble ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really. For sure it sucks, especially if I had a decent stack but ran into some kind of set-up like QQ vs. AK and lost. But I play at least 200 MTTs every month, so I dont have time to get upset about the outcome of individual ones.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on what your trying to do! If it’s just getting ITM then yes! If it’s winning the tournament then no!!!

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you are by definition a loser if you bust the tournament on the bubble, whether you feel like one or not. I'm just being a bit facetious, as I imagine you meant something more figurative. Nonetheless, busting on the bubble is never fun, but it doesn't make you a "loser."

Fundiver and Perry both make good points--the bubble is essentially a line drawn in the sand arbitrarily in terms of how it relates to your play style. If you have been playing well, get a premium hand that you can't really fold even on the bubble, and you get coolered, it's simply bad timing and certainly doesn't make you a "loser." As to what Perry said, that often applies to me when I bust on the bubble. If I find myself with a short stack (e.g., 10 BB) and a premium hand (AKo+, AQs+), I'm happy to get it all in on the bubble and to be called because I am shooting for final tables more often than simply getting in the money. Because most of the money gets paid to the final table, it rarely makes sense to me to play just to get in the money.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, pretty much, but its been a long time for me. I learned to take my chances way before the bubble. I usually bust way before the bubble or don't have a problem.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the main rule is to start playing earlier, in order to feel confident when there is one step left to the money. You have to be completely off when the fate of money is being decided. So as not to feel stupid, I think there's only one AA hand that you can't throw away, everything else is better left out. A bubble is not a place to risk or pressure players with a large or equal stack against you. If you're feeling insecure, it's better to start early and fly out than to sit and wait until the end and fly out on a bubble...

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey it happened to me many times, since the blinds are very high, and I had to play "all in"
And when that happens, I want to break it all, oops.

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not unless I think I played the hand that got me busted particularly poorly or something. If I think I played it fine, then it's just "oh well, better luck next time hopefully".

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am playing a hand on the bubble, then I am playing to win. That said, it depends on the cards. You get cards you want to play and they are going to win you the game or lose it. It happens, it is poker. You can skate through the line with some decisions. I have jumped my chip count up after the bubble many times. That does not mean I do not want to play the cards. So, no, you should not feel bad for losing on the bubble.

PrOKatana

PrOKatana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm definitely nervous and extremely upset for a while, I personally prefer not to play for a few more minutes, meaning not to open new tournaments, I only play if I still have tables, I try to calm down and then re-register for new tournaments, for that I'm starting to get extremely aggressive

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think the term "loser" is appropriate in this case as you were only one place away from achieving a cash price so it's a bit harsh to use that terminology. all the times that i have finished on the bubble or near the bubble I have felt angry and frustrated for the reason that you have mentioned but not like a loser considering how close I was to win a cash price.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never feel like it makes me a loser since it is only one spot from the money.
but definitely disappointing for about five minutes depending on how the last hand ran out.
all good players let things go very quick :)

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't feel like a loser but I'd much rather be the first one out instead of busting on the bubble.

KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It certainly used to bother me if I busted a tournament right near/on the bubble but not anymore.
As has already been mentioned in this thread - if you're playing to win and not to simply cash then it won't bother you at all because a min cash isn't the aim. Granted, a min cash is nice but the real money is higher up so I wouldn't wanna play way too tight getting near to the bubble and then leave myself with a stack which is unlikely to give me a chance at making a deep run.

I certainly won't play quite as many marginal hands near the bubble as I may do otherwise but I'm not changing how I play the majority of hands.
If anything, the bubble can be good as it means you can put certain pressure on other players who will want to make the money. You get to handcuff them, essentially.

The only time your play SHOULD change on/near the bubble is in a satellite. Because of the fact that the top x amount of players are all getting exactly the same prize, you may need to play a lot tighter at that point. I've done it before where my stack in a satellite will guarantee me a ticket/seat so I will fold 100% of hands, even AA although I don't like folding it lol

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do feel like a loser especially when I was blinded all in. I know now what to do in future to not be in that situation.

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it totally sucks - But you have to keep in mind you're always going for +EV & first place

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, next time you will definitely get lucky.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently lost on the bubble in the sat event, but really didn't feel bad for it, coz I had less than 2bbs when 9 players left and in the prize were 5 :D Just was fun how it went

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
who would not feel like that even stepped into awards :D

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use to. not no more, since you have to learn from your mistakes. I wont compromise all my chips on the bubble preflop unless I have AA so if I do go all in AA and lose then I got unlucky and I accept it.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you feel like a loser leaving on a bubble ?
No, for me leaving on a bubble is one more point to think - what I did wrong this time. Probably I should push early and have a chance for that? Or I loose part of my stack when I can fold early or on preflop? In most cases - I can find answer - what I can do here or there to avoid this situation.
Of course, you can face with bad beat on bubble or just before it and loose most of your stack. It can happen, but if you play according your bankroll - it's not a problem for you. Today I have interesting tournament - for 1.5+ hours I have VPIP 4, because I get really small amount of playable hands, and a lot of players on my table time-to time played in Push-fold style.. But I don't think that it's only variance - now I found few hands where I can play, but for some reason folded preflop. Next time I will try to fix it and play better)

Frankqc666

Frankqc666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i have a premium hand, i have no regrets in this situation... This is a bit frustrating but it's the game.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely would feel a loser since I am that close to the money.

P

Pokerbluffer123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s pain doecially after playing hard fir 7 hrs straight

Sakisdask

Sakisdask

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha i like that! yes of cource and Iam !
particularly if i lose in river.. its so stupit move if you have chips.. its better to wait booms the buble first!!