do you check your discards on the flop?

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , something that has bothered me for a while, does anyone check their discarded cards vs the board?
Once i fold preflop i have a (bad) habit of sometimes checking what i had to see if it "would have hit " or not, does anyone else do this and why, do you think it's a good/bad idea?
I feel it's bad as it may lead to tilting even while folded, although good for info for me if anyone repping my folded hand , and perhaps making me feel I'm playing too tight when my folded cards do infact "win" in a big way, I'm mixed-up about it

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , something that has bothered me for a while, does anyone check their discarded cards vs the board?
Once i fold preflop i have a (bad) habit of sometimes checking what i had to see if it "would have hit " or not, does anyone else do this and why, do you think it's a good/bad idea?
I feel it's bad as it may lead to tilting even while folded, although good for info for me if anyone repping my folded hand , and perhaps making me feel I'm playing too tight when my folded cards do infact "win" in a big way, I'm mixed-up about it

Yea, just leads to being results oriented. Once the cards are mucked pay attention to the other players, and how they are playing. Your hand is irrelevant.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I do and it's a bad habit

Yes I look at what I folded all the time. It's a bad habit. I catch myself even checking my cards even after one of the other players show quads. It's looking in the rear view when I should be looking ahead.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it all the time, but I am pretty sure most sites rng changes based on how many players are in the hand. So those cards you are looking at wouldnt have used that board if you were in the hand anyway...

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I remember them and if it is needed I check them. It is basic to watch the game and watch the maths of the game. If you don't then you rise the factor of luck and you lose a lot!

T

TJH90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah most hands, especially if they may be blockers on people still in the hand. Can help give a read on future hands

stackedmegaman

stackedmegaman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to do that, and then I thought it was bad luck to re-check them. LOL
But now, I don't look at them, and use my memory, as if I was playing a live game, where I wouldnt constantly looking down at my cards

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, never really Im looking for the next hand.:)

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to think it was bad since I was thinking that it was my winning hand and I did not play it tight but it's just superstitions you can see them and evaluate your situation at least that's my opinion so far:rock::vollkomme

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always do, and I feel it is for a good reason. I want to see what I would have had and how the other players are betting. If I would have gotten a flush say, and they are not seeing the flush that I would have had, I make a note of it. Will they do it the same way next time? No telling. But I do have a note that they might not either see or care about an obvious flush being there.
Do I agonize about what I folded? No. If I have folded 72o out of position against a big raise, and I would have flopped 7777, I still won't feel like I should play that hand next time.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do this some but in tournaments I have a worse habit of always checking the tournament lobby to see how many players are still in it.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always check and I have posted previously that the hands I don’t play haunt me
And I’m not talking about not playing AK, I’m talking about 3/9 offsuit, and the board runs 3/9//3.it drives me nuts
Right now I’m trying to pick spots and play these less desirable cards, good luck

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It always better to do things that are more productive,,,in this case,it would be more productive to pick your nose than to look back at your hole cards. :dontknow:

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont care about my cards once mucked. A good fold is a good fold no matter the cards that hit the board. It may tempt you to start making mistakes. I concentrate on the others in the hand, make notes, anything but my hand in the muck.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
during game it is better not to look...
you can analyze after the game...
:dancing2:

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It always better to do things that are more productive,,,in this case,it would be more productive to pick your nose than to look back at your hole cards. :dontknow:

Kkkkkkk :p too funny

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends dude. Normally on the initial levels of gameplay that paly is not that bad, but be sure to recognize the field you are playing with.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , I appreciate all the comments and ideas, keep them coming :) ,
Most frustrating is if ever yoirrin desperation mode due to stack/blind ratio , fold QJ with say 10bb left, 3 people shove preflop and comes QJJ which would have been full house :) ;) :) killed with soft helpless laughter

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes I do it sometimes but that almost never changes my strategy in the future hands.
The matter is to do the right move when is your time to act , after folding your dealt hand everything else is history :p

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I try not too especially online. I feel like it might effect my decisions going forward. I try to forget what I threw as soon as they hit the muck live. I don't wanna be the guy giving off any tells that I threw a monster away and effecting somebody elses action. So yeah I think move on to the next one we can't change what once was so ehhh.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

It is a good idea to check your hole cards when you discard them. You still discard them but you know if you had a winning hand or not so it cuts down the probability of getting bad beat with good hole cards right after. You see you just won. What are the probabilities of winning two hands.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and if you don't check,how will you ever figure out the "pattern"?,,,,, ;)

RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree with you. It's a bad habit, that I wish I didn't do, but somehow always catch myself doing it.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes I check them on the flop, turn, and river. I do this to see if I pair my whole cards and to see if the other players are betting when I would have made top pair on the flop. The reason for that is because if the player does bet the flop he might be bluffing because there would be only 2 of that card left in the deck. If this same player does this all the time when I fold what would have been top pair you can bet that he doesn't have top pair all the time he bets. Remembering you discards is a important in following the action of the game. They say knowledge power and I try to use it when I can.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When I'm talking about Top pair it's Ten or Higher on the flop. If you fold a Q and the flop comes Q high and the player bets. Don't you wonder if they really have top pair or an over pair to the board? Or are they just C-betting? I know this is a lot to think about when you folded, but it might help your game in the long run if you look for these betting patterns in the players your playing against.