Do I need to raise more?

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I've had donks re-raise my min raise all-in with A-rags junk preflop and suck out on me in the late stages of a tournament.

Should I just go all in right away or higher raise? It was very frustrating because I knew based on their behavior they were most likely bluffing and they were rewarded temporarily for it.

I mean I know long run these are the donks that are going to lose tons of money, but it hurt for it to happen at such a later stage of the tournament close to final table

H

hizaira

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I Almost never min raise, and if you have a substantial stack (40BB plus) given you apparently called their all in there is no need for a min raise pre. Some people will go down to 2.25BB. Not a fan of min raise myself you get odd dynamics with people and their biases on min-raising.

Dora

Dora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LAG will always take advantage of the stack. Wait for a good card in hand and make a re-raise. Drive him into his trap. And he'll be afraid of you after he's lost.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
It is difficult to answer your question. It all depends on the situation. It is necessary to take into account your position at the table and patiently wait for a good opportunity.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually get very close to the final table and at final table where decisions can add or take away possible hundreds of dollars. I get donked on so regularly in those situations I've been wrestling with the correct play

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually get very close to the final table and at final table where decisions can add or take away possible hundreds of dollars. I get donked on so regularly in those situations I've been wrestling with the correct play

In the late stages, I’ve found post flop play doesn’t really exist (at least in the MTTs I’ve played, where stacks are small relative to blinds). Especially when all effective stacks are small, most pre flops end with at least one person shoving.

Keep stacks in mind - if you are on the button and it folds around to you, with you having 30 BB and the blinds having less than 10 each, a call or small raise is likely to be met with a shove unless they have absolute junk. They are putting you on a wide range to try and steal and with antes and your raise, this is a massive pot to get for a small stack. So, in addition, their range for shoving is huge too.

If you shove instead, they’ll put you on a tighter range and likely only call if they have a hand they are willing to go down with.

So, like most things, it’s all situational. One of my favorite plays on the final table is to shove (or raise enough to shove the blinds in if they call) from the button or small blind after it’s folded around. Typically, they’ll give you credit once, but figure you are just trying to steal it the next time. That’s when I wait for a premium hand, limp in, let them shove 96o and call with massive equity. They expect you to fold almost every time since they figure if you had something, you’d shove.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no way to get rid of all the donks in the later stages of any tournament so said I.:sheep:

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In order to avoid those harsh situations try to open raise less often because as I can tell the stacks are not deep enough, that's why they 3bet you all in and you can't call with the marginal hands you open raise with. Take into account that they may exploit your preflop behavior [ fold really often to a 3bet] . Been there many times as well. Be in position is also a huge advantage.

Seems like you should find some deeper stacked tournaments, they will may suit better to your playstyle. I like it too play more post flop instead of going all in preflop like a maniac.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tighten your play on final to ladder up but play your spots with aggression when you have it

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends a lot on how the game is played, it has also happened to me, I rely on the behavior of the other player, I have a good hand but he has a better one or the variance does not help