Different kind of stats analysis

W

WarriorStoic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were playing against this player and could see these stats while playing him...they would mean WHAT to you? Why do these stats give you whatever perception it is that you have?

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 110 hands and saw flop:
- 2 out of 12 times while in big blind (16%)
- 4 out of 13 times while in small blind (30%)
- 5 out of 85 times in other positions (5%)
- a total of 11 out of 110 (10%)
Pots won at showdown - 1 of 2 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 10

you would play him in this manner or that......and WHY?

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to steal his blinds relentlessly and get out of his way when he raises.

If I see him limp or something it's an insta raise with like 30% of hands, assuming no stack size issues or crazy loose players still to act because it's going to be weak a lot, but that's based more on experiance/feel than anything.
I'm never 3betting without KK+ and am kinda scared with QQ/AK and will just call (unless conditions have changed, like blinds have risen or it becomes short handed, then I ignore his previous stats). I 3bet shove JJ+/AQ+ if my stack starts getting short. - A very vague range and maybe not entirely useful, the point is I'll play back lighter if my stack size falls far bellow average.

Basically stealing but staying out of his way until he has reason to loosen up, or my stack size gets uncomfortable.

Edit: oh and why? Ah... he's tight. I don't have much more info than that. Tight=more likely to be a reg (or semi-informed), which means he is probably only ever raising for value at the moment which means I can push him around a lot but when he pushes back I've got to run away really fast.
The stats make me think he's tight because he folds his blinds a lot and doesn't get too creative in other positions. The samples where he plays his hand are tiny, but relative to the larger samples where he folds, he's tight.

Last edited:
slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's not only tight, he's not positionally aware, plays out of the blinds way too often relative to other positions. Very unlikely to be making any aggressive plays like stealing from late position.

Did you notice his won $ when seeing flop = 100%? Something very weird postflop about that, since he's oop so frequently - maybe all of the blinds play are re-steals? If so, the plan to steal his blinds may not be appropriate.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take the higher VPIP in the blinds as he's being forced to play there, as opposed to folding elsewhere. I'd like to know though if he's completing or raising in the SB as it makes a difference (more about how much he knows than anything else).
What makes me think his blinds are being folded to is because he is tight everywhere else, it's quite possible that someone who's doing that can be completing the SB because he has "pot odds". I just can't see him suddenly playing loose from the blinds without some kind of read.

I think we'll usually see a big change in his SB and BB VPIP's if it's never folded to the blinds. If it doesn't change... meh, I'm still going after a TAG non-stop when he's in the blinds it's just my sizing/frequency that changes.

His showdown stats look kind of funny, it shows as he's lost 1 of 2, but he has won 10 pots without showdown (11 out of 12 combined) but he has only seen a flop 11 times. Not really important though, and I could just be reading the stats wrong.
It shows that when he sees a flop he wins a lot more often than he has the best hand which means he's pretty aggressive post-flop.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like everyone else has said here...he's a rock, and doesn't understand position much. Steal his blinds, and if he 3 bets you, fold unless you have the nuts.

V

volpereira

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the guy don't like to play in position, lol.

I would always raise his limps and folds his raises.

W

WarriorStoic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were playing against this player and could see these stats while playing him...they would mean WHAT to you? Why do these stats give you whatever perception it is that you have?

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 110 hands and saw flop:
- 2 out of 12 times while in big blind (16%)
- 4 out of 13 times while in small blind (30%)
- 5 out of 85 times in other positions (5%)
- a total of 11 out of 110 (10%)
Pots won at showdown - 1 of 2 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 10

you would play him in this manner or that......and WHY?

Ok these responses have been really informative for me

the curious thing for me is that everyone assumes the player doesnt know position, WHY? How can you tell that he doesnt know how to use position? Im thinking with his pots won without flop this stat says he usues position and agression quite well.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because he plays more hands from the blinds than anywhere else. Like I said earlier though, I'm not entirely agreeing with that I think there's a good chance he's just completing the SB way too lightly (or stealing blind vs blind too lightly) and having it folded to the blinds a lot.

Just because of the way you phrased your response, are these stats of your play?

W

wetyeti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd play him a lot like pokerkid does. I'd raise his blind every time. Raise raise his limps every time.
Why? 6 out of 11 hands were in the blinds. Sure he won 11 pots but he relinquished 10 out of 12 bb. And doesnt show much deception/creativity from LP.

When he raises I run unless Im position, then I might reraise time to time and try to outplay him on the flop.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the curious thing for me is that everyone assumes the player doesnt know position, WHY?

ditto pokerkid.

I'll add, though, that if this is all from a single session (which is way too small a sample to make this generalization, but whatever ;) ), this player has been on the btn or CO 26 hands (he's been sb 13 times, so...). Let's assume that all 5 out of 85 hands were played from one of those two positions - this is still a relatively low % of hands to be playing from those two seats (5 out of 26 hands).

Being positionally aware isn't just about not opening weak hands from early or middle position, it's also about playing wider ranges of hands in late position to take advantage of having position.

W

WarriorStoic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because he plays more hands from the blinds than anywhere else. Like I said earlier though, I'm not entirely agreeing with that I think there's a good chance he's just completing the SB way too lightly (or stealing blind vs blind too lightly) and having it folded to the blinds a lot.

Just because of the way you phrased your response, are these stats of your play?

yeah these are the stats of my play inna 2074 seat 8.80 mtt where i finsihed 54th

im posting them for exactly the kind of responses that im getting, so that i can take a hard look at my own play and make changes and do some experimenting, if i came off like im trying to argue, thats NOT the case, i can take the critism, I NEED the critism if im gonna improve my game, and plug leaks...so keep it coming please.

as far as completing the blinds too lightly...? if I have a good chipstack and the blinds are not hurting in any way, is that not the time to be completing really really light in the sb when they dont raise (knowing if I dont hit it hard, or get a flop favorable for a stab at it that im gonna c/f) so that i can take a chance for half price to flop and undercover monster or let it go?

W

wetyeti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as far as completing the blinds too lightly...? if I have a good chipstack and the blinds are not hurting in any way, is that not the time to be completing really really light in the sb when they dont raise (knowing if I dont hit it hard, or get a flop favorable for a stab at it that im gonna c/f) so that i can take a chance for half price to flop and undercover monster or let it go?

This is where you are missing positional play. If you're gonna call light, why do it OOP?
Say you have 78 in the SB and you flop a straight, how much action are you gonna get? Being first to act is not a profitable situation. If you bet it you might get called. If you check it someone else has to put money in and then a flat call or a check raise from EP will put most experienced players on alert.
From the CO or button though you can call with 78 if everyone limps and then hit your monster. You get to watch everyones action and act accordingly.
Calling light from the blinds is a massive leak, plug it with all the money that follows the Button.

W

WarriorStoic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is where you are missing positional play. If you're gonna call light, why do it OOP?
Say you have 78 in the SB and you flop a straight, how much action are you gonna get? Being first to act is not a profitable situation. If you bet it you might get called. If you check it someone else has to put money in and then a flat call or a check raise from EP will put most experienced players on alert.
From the CO or button though you can call with 78 if everyone limps and then hit your monster. You get to watch everyones action and act accordingly.
Calling light from the blinds is a massive leak, plug it with all the money that follows the Button.

ok i understand what you are saying completely

is there a place or link i can visit that shows a decent scale for range expansion in relation to position?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try googling, there are a ton of recommended starting hands charts by position. The key is that you want to be tight in early position and expand out into the CO and BTN. Most of the recommended starting hands charts are geared towards newer players, so they tend to be a bit tight (to keep inexperienced players from getting into marginal situations w marginal hands). Try something out and tweak it to your preferences/comfort level.

itlegacy

itlegacy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chip Wasters; luv it

'Tis exactly these responses that validate playing tight. Such players are easily baited into reckless bets. [smile]

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'Tis exactly these responses that validate playing tight. Such players are easily baited into reckless bets. [smile]

lol, nice

I'm one who's easily baited, but against players running these stats when they continue in the hand it kills the action.

Better to just play solid rather than nitty, if there's a decent chance villain could be bluffing or calling light it's a lot easier to take the bait by talking yourself into floating or bluffing all the way to the river.