Difference between online and offline tournament

P

Pukpipis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Once again, hello everyone, I have a problem, or I don’t know what to call it. I have a couple of poker clubs in the city (Minsk) where freerolls take place, I regularly look there. The essence of the problem is that when playing online, I am fully aware of my actions, clearly (as far as I can) think about every decision, I hear my intuition without any problems, and I often get into prizes (in 25%) since I have been playing for a little less than a year. I think that this is a rather large figure ... but when I play offline, I don’t know why, but everything goes out of hand, the atmosphere is cool, good people, pleasant conversations, exchange of experience and so on, but the game itself comes down to almost two actions : put all or reset. Share your opinions and experiences. Maybe someone had something similar or has, some advice on this matter, I will be glad for any information, and I think the other players too, thank you all and good luck!)

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello :)

Sounds like you may be getting distracted offline. If you are having TOO MUCH of a good time it can be hard to take mental notes on players ^^

Also live/offline play is normally a lot looser, because players must wait so long between hands. Blinds can eat you alive in live tournaments. So you should adjust by being a bit looser too.

I would advise learning some 'live-tells' as you will have to know some to play live.

Hope that helps :)

P

Pukpipis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you) I am very glad for your advice)

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
on the other hand, I was alway better playing live than online.
:)
Take a look and search on google how to play poker live, like how to start reading people, and you will learn in no time those little tell tell signs.
:)
GL man

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also be aware of how differently others perceive you live versus online. For some, that perception may not be that different, but for me it is huge. People play radically different versus me (on average) live versus online, so much so that playing live versus online is a totally different beast for me, and it took me a while to understand that once I started playing live seriously too.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe you are easy to read or you are playing against people that bluff and act like it a lot and are fooling you. When you play live the body language psychology of the game has a lot to do with the tournament, something that cannot be use online. Also it is very easy to see numbers, chip stacks, bets, pot sizes online, and live its hard to put all that together as fast.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once again, hello everyone, I have a problem, or I don’t know what to call it. I have a couple of poker clubs in the city (Minsk) where freerolls take place, I regularly look there. The essence of the problem is that when playing online, I am fully aware of my actions, clearly (as far as I can) think about every decision, I hear my intuition without any problems, and I often get into prizes (in 25%) since I have been playing for a little less than a year. I think that this is a rather large figure ... but when I play offline, I don’t know why, but everything goes out of hand, the atmosphere is cool, good people, pleasant conversations, exchange of experience and so on, but the game itself comes down to almost two actions : put all or reset. Share your opinions and experiences. Maybe someone had something similar or has, some advice on this matter, I will be glad for any information, and I think the other players too, thank you all and good luck!)

Thank U 4 Posting

Data collection is important in poker. In order to know how to win we have to know which poker strategies to apply to the table we are on. We do this by gathering data points which allows us to make adjustments to our play.

Data Points
1 You are losing focus
2 You are assuming a 25% cash rate should be expected
3 "Put all or Reset" suggests a difference in player pool actions live to online but you are not specifically defining those actions

By focusing on the data available to us in each situation we can then devise the most ev+ strategies.

Example from your data point "Put All" and the data point- free live games played for pleasure.

Those data points suggest that there is not a lot of folding in your player pool so we adjust by lowering our: 3 bet frequency :thin value attempts: bluffs: semi bluffs etc

We could adjust by betting larger: pot-5x pot etc with all strong hands as well as leading out with most 2 pair plus hands.

We would adjust this strategy if we gathered another data point about aggression level of the player pool.

A data point of aggression would lead us to check raise our 2 pair plus hands as well as leading them.

Hope this helps
:):)