Deep runs stopped in their prime

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright I'm having a problem with these deep runs in large field tourneys. I reg. early and am starting out successfully. I make it through late reg which is usually 5 hours +. I'm sitting on anywhere from 45 to 100+ bigs and looking good. We make ITM and start to ladder up. The fields are 1000 to 2000+ and we get to the 100 player left mark. I have a top 20 stack and feel like I can final table this one and make the good money. Inevitably I take beat after beat make 9 or 10 ladders and miss out on the really big money. So I was wondering if anybody has any advice on treading the water when you've gotten through 90 95 percent of the field and wanna make it all the way?

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like should I be adjusting my play more from how I was playing when there were 1500 people left to when there's 60?

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright I'm having a problem with these deep runs in large field tourneys. I reg. early and am starting out successfully. I make it through late reg which is usually 5 hours +. I'm sitting on anywhere from 45 to 100+ bigs and looking good. We make ITM and start to ladder up. The fields are 1000 to 2000+ and we get to the 100 player left mark. I have a top 20 stack and feel like I can final table this one and make the good money. Inevitably I take beat after beat make 9 or 10 ladders and miss out on the really big money. So I was wondering if anybody has any advice on treading the water when you've gotten through 90 95 percent of the field and wanna make it all the way?

Great question and I think to adjust you need to play more aggressively preflop to steal blinds and less aggressively post-flop because that’s how you lose your chip stack.

I feel your frustration because it’s easy to go from chip leader to busting out of a MTT. I would raise big pre-flop to narrow down your opponents’ range and then only continue playing to the river if you have the absolute nuts.