Coolers in tournaments

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I make the right call almost every time in tournaments, but I usually get knocked out right at the end by stupid coolers.

How do you avoid this happening?

qRock

qRock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker coolers are common. It seems to us that this happens very often due to the fact that we feel failure 2 times stronger than success. To verify this, record all cases all in, and analyze your chances of winning. To avoid coolers, you can only reach the showdown with nuts, but this is not profitable.

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you go deeper in tournaments, preflop hand strength goes up, so as people play better and better hands, the chances of strong vs strong go up. Try to tighten your play a little more at the end. Other than that, you just can't really fold certain hands in certain spots so losing with AA v KK or set over set is just something that happens.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Build a big enough stack that you can survive being a cooler or two.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This really is about the only thing you can do. You WILL get cooled and have bad beats sooner or later. If you can manage to build a stack, then you can survive anything thrown at you, for a limited time of course.

Unless I have the nuts, I have estimated that the "optimum" risk on a hand should be about 67% of your stack. If you play AA only, with an 84% chance of winning, you might find that this level of risk yields the biggest stack at the end or 25 hands. In other words, if you get to showdown 25 times with AA, and you risk 67% of your stack each time and get called, you will have the biggest stack using a 67% stack risk. You might think all-in is the best result, but all you have to do is lose one time with AA and you have zero chips and you can't get them back. Saving 33% of your chips always gives you enough to recover if you are winning 84% of the time.

No player will let YOU determine how much of your stack you want to risk, but this is the optimum number, in my opinion.

Good luck.

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This really is about the only thing you can do. You WILL get cooled and have bad beats sooner or later. If you can manage to build a stack, then you can survive anything thrown at you, for a limited time of course.

Unless I have the nuts, I have estimated that the "optimum" risk on a hand should be about 67% of your stack. If you play AA only, with an 84% chance of winning, you might find that this level of risk yields the biggest stack at the end or 25 hands. In other words, if you get to showdown 25 times with AA, and you risk 67% of your stack each time and get called, you will have the biggest stack using a 67% stack risk. You might think all-in is the best result, but all you have to do is lose one time with AA and you have zero chips and you can't get them back. Saving 33% of your chips always gives you enough to recover if you are winning 84% of the time.

No player will let YOU determine how much of your stack you want to risk, but this is the optimum number, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Thanks, this was very helpful.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I have the same thing happen to me. Don't worry you proved you were worthy so you will get the job. They will work out your winning details when they see your work.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good luck.

This is quite possibly the strangest thing I've ever read in a strat forum. That doesn't mean it's inaccurate, but IDK:puke:

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing you can do is try to avoid the situations.
Remember
"The chips you have are worth more than the chips you can win"
"Most wins are marginal and Loss's can be fatal"

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember

Those quotes are so true, thanks.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of interesting thoughts in this thread. Coolers and bad beats happen, you cant control them. You just have to make the best decisions you can. It is very difficult to win a poker tournament and you most likely need to get lucky at some point unless you sun run the entire tournament.

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just bubbled a tournament AQs vs A5o and they caught 345. This is getting ridiculous.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just bubbled a tournament AQs vs A5o and they caught 345. This is getting ridiculous.

If this gets to you too much maybe tournaments aren't for you. I know it sucks but you are supposed to lose this 1 out of 4 times and you run into this situation a lot in mtts. You have to learn to manage your stack to where these beats don't crush you. Also you will be on the receiving end of beats like this pretty often, as they are supersuper standard

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing I can think to do is play more suited connectors and steal more pots so I'm not relying on not catching bad beats.

Opinions anyone?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So I make the right call almost every time in tournaments, but I usually get knocked out right at the end by stupid coolers.

Having a big stack so you can absorb them.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Good luck.

This is quite possibly the strangest thing I've ever read in a strat forum. That doesn't mean it's inaccurate, but IDK:puke:

AGREED! & of course it's inaccurate.
if only it was that easy... we could all just fold til' we're holding the nuts & expect action. I mean of course we're gonna run THAT GOOD, lol.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AGREED! & of course it's inaccurate.
if only it was that easy... we could all just fold til' we're holding the nuts & expect action. I mean of course we're gonna run THAT GOOD, lol.

Sorry guys, i guess i didn't explain myself well enough. I never said that I only play AA or that I only play the nuts, and i don't think i suggested a strategy to do such a thing. The point i was making in regards to the initial question was to agree that building a big stack so you do not have to go all-in at risk is really the best answer for the posed question.

My analysis stating 67% maximum stack risk IS IN FACT the optimum number, but it is nearly impossible to implement a 67% maximum stack risk strategy in a real game setting. I don't think I said this is what anyone should do, i was merely stating an observation i have made. Isn't it good to know what the perfect answer is given a set of conditions?

Try it yourself: 25 hands to showdown with an 84% equity = 21 wins and 4 losses in a perfect world, whatever your starting stack is, what stack risk would give you a better result than risking 67%? Obviously the real world includes some folds and 25 hands with 84% equity would not really play out this way. When analyzing a specific condition, you must be careful to only vary one variable at a time, otherwise you may not know which variable is causing your anomaly, if you think there is one.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks for the encouragement - I especially like the puking emoji. Did you take the time to try and understand what I was trying to say?

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
This just skips the question. How do you avoid coolers while you try to build your stack?

Remember
Blinds are fatal. Unless everyone folds while you are the Big Blind every time, you are going to get blinded out with a 100% certainty.

Coolers happen thanks to the Gap Concept. If you only cold call/3bet with a strong hand against a tight player, a cooler is expected, because it's very likely that both of you have strong hands. If you want to avoid it, then lay down your strong hand, but you run the risk of becoming too tight. If your opponents are aware of the gap concept, the same is true when you open with a strong hand—you'll be called/re-raised by another strong hand only. If everyone on the table plays according to the gap concept, then expect most hands to never reach showdown, and whenever they reach it, the cooler is almost inevitable. On such tight tables, you should try to steal more pots with marginal hands. Just don't overdo it, or you'll be caught. If you've been folding for a long time, you can get away with some bluffs, thanks to your table image. Hey, at least when you get caught it won't be a cooler—you'll be crushed :D, but you give yourself the chance to get a lucky board. If you only play premium hands which play themselves, your entire good luck depends on how often you get such hands, and whether you get any action from your opponents then, and whether you are lucky to avoid a bad beat.

One way to avoid coolers is to play looser, and to try to catch a monster hand. If you are low on chips, though, that's not wise. Your only hope then is to catch a decent starting hand and to try to isolate some loose player. Unfortunately, they'll have you covered most of the time, because only the big stacks can afford to play loose. Another target might be someone who is desperate to survive. Such players will often shove with any Ace, King or a pair, but it will be hard to isolate them when there are bigger stacks around.

I like how in Omaha, the winning hand is way more often the Nuts, or at least the second best. It's easier to know where your hand stands.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless I was in danger of blinding out if making the money is the goal then I'm not playing AQ there. If the goal is to improve my stack and try to run deep you take the risk and forget about the loss.

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol I had some guy call me a fish, then he donked off his stack with 59o all in pre. Just thought I'd share.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Well how else can you lose if you make the right call almost every time? :confused:

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips

Good luck.

How I can downvote this?

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is bound to happen relatively often the deeper u get in a tourney. There is obviously the bad luck that is involved in poker. When your good hand runs into a better hand there is not a lot u can do. I just got knocked out of a tourney with 2 pair Aces and Fives that ran into a set of Sixes. There just is not a lot u can do when a hand like this is disguised and beats u.