Combating limpers.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very intresting topic and spot and can be frustating in some spots for good players.
Generally i play tournaments where i see a lot a lot of limpers early stages or deep stages.
Deep stages i target them good by jamming and generally get a lot of folds.
But in early and middle stages theese people limp a lot.
And worst thing is that suppose you pick up a decent hand like AQo on cuttof.
You have 2 limpers behind.
I decide to make it 6x which i generally dont like in tourney due to shallownes of stack.
So sb called bb called and 2 guys called.
5 ways pot.
And i am in awlward spot!
The thing here is that they dont fold even after you make it big pre!
And also AKs on hijack action folds to you.
Easy spot you have you go and raise.
But action limps to you and you make it big suddenly you are 5 ways to the pot and you dont catch A or K you are doomed.
Now some players will say wait for good cards.
You wait for good cards in cash games not in tourneys or you will be short stacked soon!
I am clueless!

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe jam it like you would on deep stages?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know how you feel about these guys calling so much. It frustrating as hell but not the worst thing in the world. AQo is a good hand and you should raise it up even if you know the limper will call. Yes it will put you in a awkward spot but you just need to play smartly on the flop. If you miss you must realize someone hit the flop so you should not c-bet here. If you hit the flop you most likely have top pair and can value bet them.

P

Principg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your frustration, but tbh i think you overestimate some s hands, f.e. AQ in early stages is not so strong hand, especially when you are in a 5-way pot
So, after flop comes out, and you dont catch it, just check-fold..and nothing to feel sorry..simply that's not some awesome spot, neither you are holding some hand that is hard to fold.
I wouldnt bother at all with folding there

T

thejuice1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
if people limping bother you, then really, just continue to bet 3x-5x the bb blind every time pre flop. Don't let it get you frustrated though. Play your game. Its all about mixing it up so those at the table can never quite get an accurate read on you.
At times, let these limpers limp and just call yourself. And at times, put in a big pre flop raise to get them off their crappy hands. Most importantly, when you do that, mix it up. Sometimes do it with premium hands and other times with weak hands. Always keep them guessing.

J

Jkendrick888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, play aggressively at them. When they are in the pot with just put pressure on them. If they are limp calling 5x a lot you will make money off them. Don't let it get you otherwise, you might be punting and even these limpers have it sometimes.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With hands like AQ I am usually hesitant to raise from position when someone shows strength by either raising or calling in front of me. I am happy to take my strong drawing hand into the flop. I certainly don’t want people to stop limping with hands that I dominate, so “combating” is not what I’m looking for. “Please continue to enter hands with an out of position limp with AT or KQ,” is what I want to tell them.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very intresting topic and spot and can be frustating in some spots for good players.
Generally i play tournaments where i see a lot a lot of limpers early stages or deep stages.
I decide to make it 6x which i generally dont like in tourney due to shallownes of stack.
5 ways pot.
But action limps to you and you make it big suddenly you are 5 ways to the pot and you dont catch A or K you are doomed.
You wait for good cards in cash games not in tourneys or you will be short stacked soon!

I am clueless!

So what do these "limpers" usually have? I'm sorry your questions are very hard to understand completely.

Every hand is different and I feel like we are focusing in on one occurrence.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And you forgot the best part of this. When flop hits you hard and you bet, they all fold even to min bets!
And the times you have pocket aces and bet big post flop, you are getting called and have no idea where your aces are! Did they flopped two pairs, a set or just called with top pair? Its frustrating.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early on you arent going to push away many limpers so its usually best to just wait it out and know when you catch a quality hand and get calls from 4 limpers to beware of who might have hit.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 ways pot.
I am clueless!

Yeah I can feel your frustration.

In position with probably the strongest hand at the table. Make a big raise and they all call !

So, you will find out who has made hands and draws on the flop.

Honestly, you just have to be able to give up your hand depending on the board's texture and the action.

Without isolation you need to hit the board pretty hard.

Some players think that the beginning of tournaments are so cheap to get involved and draw out that they can't resist with almost any two cards.

Preflop Action : -
First guy to call thinks, "If I call they will call."
Last guy to call thinks, "Well, they all called, now I'm priced in to call...even with these two cards."
lol....and that's how it happens.

Good luck !

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise bigger. They are limping hands that they don't want to call a 3 bet with. Raise 9x 10x especially with two limps already.

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another difficult part is some players limp with AA KK.
And some limp with AK.
And one variety of fish i have seen in cash games they limp and cold call raise with JJ+
Really God of decieving!

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All you can do is play your best game. Try to learn from mistakes. If you like to raise big with the good hands, keep doing it. It's going to work a lot of the time. Good Luck

F

fatshady21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your frustration, but tbh i think you overestimate some s hands, f.e. AQ in early stages is not so strong hand, especially when you are in a 5-way pot
So, after flop comes out, and you dont catch it, just check-fold..and nothing to feel sorry..simply that's not some awesome spot, neither you are holding some hand that is hard to fold.
I wouldnt bother at all with folding there
I agree with principg check-fold is the best option at that kind of situtation but i don't think that AQ is that good of a hand to make a big raise preflop like AA or KK.If i had AQ i would 3BB preflop and then react according to the flop.

TheGiantAsian

TheGiantAsian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6X seems awkward at any stage of the tourney. More info, such as stack size, blind level, and position will fetch more solid responses from everyone. As played, checking and folding flop is the move. CBet just not going to get through this many players, on that flop, often enough to make this a positive ev

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you need to know your limper, there are kind of two kinds - the fit or fold limper and the calling station. Against the fit or fold you can limp stab a lot of flops and vs the calling station you can value own them. Also you can probably vary your bet sizing to tailor to your needs because if they are limping a lot they probably dont care if you raise third pot, half pot, or 3/4.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In pokerstars and 888Poker are lots of limpers. It’s not rare to get a big bet from a TAG on the button. One of the ways I cope with that is by limping in near the back with set mines, suited connectors, and suited gappers.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many times you can take advantage of these players, but be careful, because often they limp with AA or KK, I've seen some players do that in freerolls, which does not seem a good idea.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I totally understand What you're saying it happens to me too!

What I do in this type of situations is Adjust my range If you have two or more limpers hands Like AT, AJ I Don't make the rule x3 plus one for each limper I rather to still make my standar x3 Raise and you'll sometimes they will fold and also mostly of times they will fols on the flop whe they don't hit anything Also whe you Hit the top pair you'll be able to get their chip even if the hit low or middle pair ... you just have to be really careful is with Coordinated FLOPS they're really dangerous in this cases I rather to give up my hand or play check-fold or check-call depending on the info I have froma the players

Good luck man!

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limper's need to be attacked always. You raise and force them out or they re-raise and you fold because they're trapping.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I against the limpers play only with very strong hands and hands because they always kill you with anything they do not run just having weak hands and the variance ends favoring them
:elefant:

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 ways pot.
I am clueless!
Got to find the sizings that get 1-2 callers usually when you have value, and larger when you have bluffs.