Calling from the BB

H

HE.FLOPPED.IT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

Would just like to hear people’s views on calling from the BB in multi-way pots.

I’m fairly new to the game but one thing I have noticed recently is a player raising 3xBB from early position. A couple or even three players call which means by the time the action is on me I only have to put 2xBB into a pot of 10xBB to see a flop.

Is this generally a good strategy in MTT tournaments???

What kind of hands are people calling with in this situation???

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's pretty standard to loosen up a bit when on the BB. The great pot odds only make it even more appealing. Just be sure to evaluate your hand correctly after the flop, because even when you hit it you'll be often holding the second best hand in multiway pots.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If stack sizes are infinitely deep and you can play very well postflop, defending a very wide range from the BB in multiway pots can be good. The problem is in mtts stacks are never infinitely deep and 99% of mtt players can't play postflop worth a damn because most mtt players only focus on their own cards instead of focusing on their opponents ranges.

So in general as an mtt strategy it is very bad to be calling from the bb. You are out of position postflop with marginal holdings, an inflated pot and unless you just flop the world or absolutely nothing no real idea of how to proceed. You catch a small piece of something and it ends up costing you more on every street.

P

pokerpie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea definitely the pot odds gives me more incentive's to broaden my range on the BB. I am pretty stiff with defending my BB most of the time, then give up on the flop if anything.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone,

Would just like to hear people’s views on calling from the BB in multi-way pots.

I’m fairly new to the game but one thing I have noticed recently is a player raising 3xBB from early position. A couple or even three players call which means by the time the action is on me I only have to put 2xBB into a pot of 10xBB to see a flop.

In this type of spot I would defend around 60% of hands.

Usually vs a raise in the BB we play between 60% and 80% of hands.

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Message -1

I think if the first player raised the bet, and three others equaled to raise only with premium pairs and ACE king suited can fly but still a raise they can go all the Bank and there is a possibility of losing all the chips but if you play in cash games and there you can go all the Bank and in the tournament if expensive tournament to go number but if not then all the Bank. But what to advise here, don't know if I'm lucky that you're on a horse if not you lose.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds were good so if my stack permitted it, I would have call and se if I could hit big on the flop.. if not, well, just a fold.

I usually defend my BB with so-so cards if the raise is around 3x and if I'm the last want to take action.

-TRP-

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dominated hands

Hi everyone,

The first thing to think about is Dominated hands. These are hands where you can make a good hand but your opponent has a better hand.

eg OPP raises with AK you call BB with K10 flop Kxx you lose your stack.
It is the same with most Ax hands and others.

Do some research on this point and it will turbo charge your growth.

:)