Calling an all in with AK

C

Chewfulitsch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the bigger stack calling an all in with AKo during early stages of free roll. Villain has pocket 44 and I lose in the end. I have twice the chips compared to him. Was it a good call and just unlucky or should I have just folded? I keep losing these types of hands when I have premium hands, it's frustrating. I also tend to call all ins with players that are very loose, never against tight players.

thanks guys!

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's fine if you want to try to get lucky. Technically it's a coin flip. Ask yourself, do you feel lucky enough to win 15 coin flips in a row to win a tournament or would you rather take down pots without show downs?

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like this kind of play, you stop counting on your skill and it depends on luck. The correct is you do not get involved in complicated hands at the beginning of the turns, pay allin only with AA or KK, sometimes you can pay with QQ. Study a little about the positions in poker and hand range.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

L

LEOCIN2909

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is difficult this situation I already lost several hands like this and I prefer to raise and see the flop more if the villain gives all in has no way have to make the evaluation of the player and choose to call or fold.

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls people will often shove early without a pocket pair, then AK is the favorite. In a more serious game maybe be more careful, although there would also be less early shoving in that situation.

R

Rskeyyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you know, a pair has more chance to win on preflop. but it's hard to fold AK...

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the bigger stack calling an all in with AKo during early stages of free roll. Villain has pocket 44 and I lose in the end. I have twice the chips compared to him. Was it a good call and just unlucky or should I have just folded? I keep losing these types of hands when I have premium hands, it's frustrating. I also tend to call all ins with players that are very loose, never against tight players.

thanks guys!

I watch so much poker online, and late in big tournaments these guys so rarely fold AK pre, but man do I feel like I lose with it a lot. I think going forward I will try only to call all ins with it preflop under one main condition: the other player has significantly fewer chips than me. It must have been so frustrating losing to 44, but you’ll probably be less likely to call with it in the future.

On the other hand, I love picking up AK when I’m short stacked and need to double up. Often get called by weaker hands.

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for a freeroll is a normal situation, but for a tournament for money, it's better not to do it, unless it has a stack of one-tenth of yours.

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no problems with this play especially in freeroll where people are shoving any 2 sometimes. Don’t be results orientated. Take shots like this when you have a healthy stack. A flip is fine if you cover someone 3x+

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out the file I added to this post.
it may be interesting for you.

Attachments

• 29425651_2043848072528424_534515500395266048_n.jpg
    29425651_2043848072528424_534515500395266048_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 62
Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Technically it's a coin flip.

Technically, it's worse than a coin flip. The AK is already beat, and you are left with 6 outs.

But I am with the consensus in this thread. Best to just fold them in most cases. The only time I would match their all-in is if you can cover the bet without too much damage to your stack.

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it was a great call with Ako during early stages of freeroll.

And your chips compared to him,nothing wrong with this action.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK called Anna Kurnikova cause it looks better than it plays. Its a freeroll and many people going all in with just a crappy Ace. I am no expert but since you got him covered, I would say it was a good call, cause you could double up or lose just half ur stack to a coinflip.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is ok, a free tournament you have to play aggressive, you have nothing to lose, to get as far, you have to be aggressive.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its fine to call all in to AK of course,but a lot of times you are fliping vs hands like 77,88,99 but sometimes you dominate some hands like AQ and they can have them a lot of the time too so i think its nice call,you just lost flip

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I hate flipping with AK or AQ during early stages of a tournament , especially in a freeroll, when you are 70+bbs deep I can easily fold those hands unless I have a read for my opponent. With shallower stacks approx 20bbs is a standard call and a snap call if you have 2x the stack of the opponent. You are flipping against pocket pairs and you are way ahead of any Ax , Kx combination.

Use some programs like Equilab and see the flipping percentages , it is a very useful tool.

ps. Be careful with the above programs I think you can't run them simultaneously with your poker clients , I did it once by mistake and I received an email from pokerstars which was warning me about the incident!

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Technically, it's worse than a coin flip. The AK is already beat, and you are left with 6 outs.

But I am with the consensus in this thread. Best to just fold them in most cases. The only time I would match their all-in is if you can cover the bet without too much damage to your stack.

Ummmm 46% vs 54% is largely considered a coin flip in the poker world. Am I missing something?

frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A4 beats my AK every single time I kid you not. I think its a computer glitch.

C

Chewfulitsch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for replies. I will only call with AA KK, possibly QQ from now on and also if their stack is very small compared to mine. As always it depends on the situation but I got some ideas now how to play this type of hand.

A

Adera

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Im shocked by some of the advice on this thread... I'm calling AKo plus every day of the week in an mtt if player is loose or tight... you made the correct plus ev play, remember in mtts we gonoff chip ev and not icm... if this was an icm situation on the bubble and a short stack was all in, it might be different.... poker is long term... just because you lost a few flips it doesnt mean it is a bad play... in fact it is a winning play long term... this is what you have to understand with poker... dont be reaults oriented... just focus on making the right plus ev plays and put in volume and the results will come.... good luck!

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank You Adera - this forum is full of terrible advice and yours stands out as right. Calling AK all day especially in a freeroll. Sometimes you are happy to call with AK and sometimes you are not - depending on opponents range. But nonetheless you are mostly calling.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're going to have to win some flips eventually to win a tournament - I like the call here as described with a double-stack since you won't even be out if you lose and you should have a good chance at a big stack.

I would definitely be calling against loose opponents who can also have AJ, AQ, (Ax for that matter), KJ, and KQ and not always a pair that is flipping.

The good thing about AK is unless they have AA or KK you are in fine shape and can be in a very good spot against an impatient player.

Never get discouraged by bad beats - you want to get your chips in good, use pressure to build big stacks, and make deep runs and then repeat... that is what tournaments are.

Good luck to you! :D

D

dpoole71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
greatly depends on the situation but 90 percent of the time im okay getting it in with AK if its early and i have the guy covered but 2x chips im calling if theres 15 left im 3/15 a stack bigger than mine is all in and theyre tight im folding if theyre a loose maniac then its a toss up depends on other factors but you cant just fold AK everytime your ahead of every A and any other non paired hands and anything besides AA KK its a flip

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are talking about a freeroll. I'd call any all-in with AK. No reason to fold that hand.

If you buy into a tournament usually I wouldn't mind letting it go, I'd try to find a better position. Usually, I see very little reason when you have 2x the chips to put 1/2 in with out AA or KK. You don't "have" to play a hand pre-flop. This is considered usually a "small" mistake folding the best hand but it certainly was a big mistake losing half your chips or getting sent to the rail. You can take a lot of the "luck" people complain about out of poker by seeing more flops and less all-ins.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a drawing hand and a cion flip against a pocket pair. I seem to lose most of my coin flips so I'm wary of hands that are not already made.