Busting w/ 88 - bad play or ok?

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live $100 tournament - freeze out 20k start stack, winner takes all satellite ($2200 ticket to a $1 million tourney), actually second place gets money back.

Only two tables started, so we're on final table bubble. Blinds 1k/2k - maybe 5 mins or less until 2k/4k.

I've been playing pretty TAG, but I'm kinda short stacked with 22k in the BB with pocket 8s. It's folded to the SB who completes/calls the extra 1k to 2k. Villain has about 36k.

So short pause and I push 22k. 20 seconds later he calls and shows K8 clubs.

King on the flop, and I'm eliminated. Did I make the right play and just a bad beat, or wrong move? odds calculator tells me I'm 65% there preflop. How can he call? OMG, surely he puts me on Ax at least or some kind of pair, maybe he thought he'd have 2 overs, but even then, to put in another 20k hoping to hit an over card. Hmmm...

He'd commented earlier that I was playing tight, so he knew I'd have to have something decent! I'd only pushed once before (6 hands earlier) with AJs and didn't show. Perhaps I should have to increase fold equity.

Anyway, rant rant, appreciate your thoughts.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming you have to make first out of 22 not a bad shove at all just loosen up a bit since only 1 in 22 people get ticket and 2nd gets money back...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that's right, I had to make first really that was the point of me being there. Forgot to mention his image from my perspective. Decent player, had been accumulating chips slowly, knew when to fold etc. Only thing I can imagine is suddenly he thinks I'm trying to bully him / the table which was not the case prior - weird? That's why I'm wondering if showing that previous AJs would have increased my fold equity, i.e., "hey i'm not shoving with air here people" etc.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm thinking with it being blind on blind he may perceive that you would shove light on him,alot of people see suited anything and think it has good odds to hit ,even if its not got nut flush potential.......scorp

Z

zingbust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you know you did the right thing. There may be other valid ways to play here, but I doubt it. The reason he called is probably not because of what scorpion said, but rather he was just plain dumb. I mean it's certainly possible he is a great player and called because he made a read on you based on all the factors he knew about, but it's more likely he's just dumb.

Last edited:
newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on how many more dudes there was his call coild have been reasonable judt too lazy to look st details lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you know you did the right thing. There may be other valid ways to play here, but I doubt it. The reason he called is probably not because of what scorpion said, but rather he was just plain dumb. I mean it's certainly possible he is a great player and called because he made a read on you based on all the factors he knew about, but it's more likely he's just dumb.

That's funny man! Thanks though and to Scorpion too. Yeah not being too results orientated, actually feeling content that I did the right thing, thread is really about validation I guess, lol.

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U play well. I'd do the same. I would not expect on the bubble call with K8

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very standard spot TBH. I suggest you experiment with hypers to gain some experience and knowledge of spots like this. Doing so will only benefit your late stage MTT game.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see you are rolled for $30 NL, I would suggest playing $5 hypers.

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very standard spot TBH. I suggest you experiment with hypers to gain some experience and knowledge of spots like this. Doing so will only benefit your late stage MTT game.

Absolutely and fair point. Yeah if you mean these, earlier this year I played a whole bunch of $5 and $2.5 hyper turbo 6max SnGs on 888 (seemed to have more success with the $5), and it totally turned around / improved my final table play in particular with MTTs both live and online.

I do realise very standard spot, should have put this in bad beats as it's really a vent, lol. Obv his call is ridiculous.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have 11bb which will soon drop to 5+bb, the avg, stack is nearly twice as much, and it's basically WTA which means there's no choice except playing to win. I'm insta-shoving 88 here.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess its an okay shove but his limp indicated weakness, usually your not getting called by worse. This is a strange exception where either this guy was really bad or smart enough to recognize a BB push could indicate a low PP and he thought he might be flipping. It's an okay move, checking might be an option as well in this situation

rickypr18

rickypr18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it was a bad move considering your stack size.

M

mariocep

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with that amount of BB and in such event should be push or fold due to stack the villain

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess its an okay shove but his limp indicated weakness, usually your not getting called by worse. This is a strange exception where either this guy was really bad or smart enough to recognize a BB push could indicate a low PP and he thought he might be flipping. It's an okay move, checking might be an option as well in this situation

Im never checking this here.

glenn6971

glenn6971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was good play just a bad call on his part.

I

IvanShovski

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's winner-take-all and you're short. No question that you did the right thing. Very difficult to play pocket eights post-flop if a couple of face cards hit the board.

As you say, the SB's call was ridiculous. I don't think showing AJs earlier would have increased your fold equity with this villain. I feel that showing one's hand is a bad idea generally; keep 'em guessing.

pistolpetewags11

pistolpetewags11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The push is totally correct in that spot. I would never change a thing, unless the sb often limps sb bb with a very strong hand. But when he limps, a shove is 80% the correct move. There are times people trap, knowing that the big blind will shove a good majority of the time.

You said you were not playing aggressive, so then this is again a good move. If you had been raising when he limps the small blind every time then it might not be a good move as your fold equity would be lower.

I would accept his call, and like you said more than 60% of the time be in much better position to win that tournament. Don't sweat it. Good play. Bad call on his part. That's poker.

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you shouldn't go all-in. You needed to play slow, with no big raises and wait for better cards...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you played it perfect
he is an idiot
you have to love that call too...gives you a great chance to double up and that is what you need in a winner take all format

stately7

stately7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers to everyone who responded. Yeah I did love the call when I first saw K8 - he has 3 outs!

A low PP and I'm probably checking to set mine, although I may well have done the same thing tbh.

How would you treat 33, 44 or 55 in the same spot?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cheers to everyone who responded. Yeah I did love the call when I first saw K8 - he has 3 outs!

A low PP and I'm probably checking to set mine, although I may well have done the same thing tbh.

How would you treat 33, 44 or 55 in the same spot?

most likely I'd play it the same with 22+, because you think he respects your image, he thinks you're tight, and he limped so he is most likely weak.

If he calls you with 2 overs, oh well, You need to double up.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read dependent, we can pretty much assume our villain would normally be opening any pair against us here, so I don't really mind shoving any pair after the limp.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
super standard shove. he can call cuz he's getting odds basically. If I'm reading the HH right you were 5bb deep when you reshoved, meaning with blinds he has to call 4bb into like a 9 bb pot, which is a call with almost any two. He should be shoving pre there tbh but people are bad.