Bubbled the FT

J

JimmyB01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everybody! This is my first post, have been following this forum for quite a bit now and it has helped me so much with improving my game.

Today I entered a '1.10 6-max hyper-turbo tourney'. Got ITM with solid play (think so haha), although I have seen some all-ins in this tourney that were hilarious. I know that you need to be lucky a few times in those hypers, but enjoyed it. Went on to got lucky twice which brings us to the last 2 tables. I got nervous, and when there were 8 players left (7 make it to the FT), I went all-in.

Should I go all-in here or wait till I make the FT? There were 2 tables of 4 left.
Blinds: 15k, 30k
SB (me, 450k chips): I got A7o.
BB (350k chips)
CO: (550k chips)
BTN: (950k chips)

PF:
CO raises to 60k
BTN calls
SB (me) goes all-in
Everybody folds, BTN calls with 66

Missed the flop, turn and river.

Feel sad, because I wanted to make the FT so bad, but don't know if it was good to be one of the lower stacks. If I won the all-in I would have been chip-leader. Also the pay-jumps were big for me haha. Got 15 dollars, while 7th got 21 and up.
Again, want to thank everybody on this forum. It has helped me a lot and I try to keep improving.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a good finish.

The problem with these hyper max tournaments is that luck plays a much bigger factor and you will see those crazy all ins as players trying to double up quickly.

Now to your question, Ax is a decent starting hand 4 handed but with the raise before you I would have folded. Good chance you are dominated by a higher A. You could try just calling as well and see what the flop brings. If you hit your A you could bet and see where you stand. You still had 15 BB left so didn’t have to make that move yet. If you were first to act you could shove and hope for folds but with the raiser it’s iffy. You didn’t mention if the other table had a really short stack that would likely bust soon. If that was the case then folding option is even stronger.

Just my opinion but hope that helps some.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's not a bad place to shove. There is 165K in the pot, so if folded, it's a nice haul. You ran into a coin flip. That's not a bad thing. I would have liked a better hand, but even if it was a pure bluff, it was a good shove. Min raise and call usually indicate weakness (although not always).

J

JimmyB01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the answers! I forgot to mention that there also was a ante of 7k.

On the other table there was 1 player who had 11 BB. My thinking was also that if everybody folded I would have got a nice stack (over 600k+). If someone would have called me, then it was 50/50.

Ofcourse it is difficult when the blinds go up really quick and it is more based on luck then on playing poker. I enjoy hyper, but I won't play them to often. Was nice to change things up a bit.

J

JimmyB01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I made to the FT in a 6max 2.20 mtt with 595 players. This time it was a normal tourney with 10 min blinds. I was the short stack with 12 BB and there was one other short stack with 16 BB. All the others had more then 25 BB.

Went all-in on the second hand, got called by the other short stack player.
AJs (me) vs AQo
Flop: 8KJ rainbow
Turn: 7
River: Q

Made it to the final table, happy about that, got some unlucky all-ins throughout the tourney. Lost KK twice, and AA once.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everybody! This is my first post, have been following this forum for quite a bit now and it has helped me so much with improving my game.

Today I entered a '1.10 6-max hyper-turbo tourney'. Got ITM with solid play (think so haha), although I have seen some all-ins in this tourney that were hilarious. I know that you need to be lucky a few times in those hypers, but enjoyed it. Went on to got lucky twice which brings us to the last 2 tables. I got nervous, and when there were 8 players left (7 make it to the FT), I went all-in.

Should I go all-in here or wait till I make the FT? There were 2 tables of 4 left.
Blinds: 15k, 30k
SB (me, 450k chips): I got A7o.
BB (350k chips)
CO: (550k chips)
BTN: (950k chips)

PF:
CO raises to 60k
BTN calls
SB (me) goes all-in
Everybody folds, BTN calls with 66

Missed the flop, turn and river.

Feel sad, because I wanted to make the FT so bad, but don't know if it was good to be one of the lower stacks. If I won the all-in I would have been chip-leader. Also the pay-jumps were big for me haha. Got 15 dollars, while 7th got 21 and up.
Again, want to thank everybody on this forum. It has helped me a lot and I try to keep improving.

Thank U 4 Posting

Congrats on your first post I hope you learn and grow with all of us.

Are you familiar with ICM Independent Chip Model? Knowing the right play in this spot relies heavily on that concept. Learning how to use it is crucial especially in the hyper turbos. ICM is more important than player reads in this type of tournament. There are Apps and videos and coaches that will teach you about ICM some for free.

Hope this helps
:):)

J

JimmyB01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!
Thanks for your answer! I have indeed heard of it, but actually never calculated it or used it in and around the FT.

I certainly will search some more information about that and with that I can adjust my strategy.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how many tournaments do you play at the same time or per day? this is a working situation, you just need to calculate the benefits of your action at a distance

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in that situation you were in agony, waiting for the FT that you could double your chips. I already stuck in this strategy of going all in on the ft because there are players with the same gameplay as you to be daring and fearful.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
BTN will always pay on account of being the chip leader, so you got caught in this situation!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1
With 2 players already entering the hand I would prefer to fold A7o. It is one of the worst possible AX hands, and it is kind of unlikely, that a jam will get everyone to fold given the amount of chips, which is already in the pot. The fact, that BTN is the chip leader, makes it even more likely, he will call. Which is not ideal with a hand like A7o, because you are either flipping, way behind or slightly ahead.

Hand 2
AJs is a standard open jam for 12BB, and especially when you are the shortest stack at the table. In that situation you can not just sit and wait for someone else to bust. Everyone else are waiting for you to bust, so you will need to be all in as the first player, and AJs is good enough to push. If there were 7-8 players left to act, its a bit marginal, but still a push.