Bubble Play...

M

mblmusic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm deep in an online MTT Knockout...23 players left out of 192 and 20 get paid. There are 7 players at my table.
The Blinds are $750/$1500 with a $150 ante.
I am sitting on the button with $20,616 and am currently in 13th place.
The Big Stack of the tournament is sitting in the BB with $55,845.

There is $3,300 in the pot.
Everybody folds to me and I raise to $3,000 with AK.

The SB folds.
The BB goes All-in for $54,195.

Two questions...
What should I have done pre-flop?
Given the actual play, what should I have done?

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All-in preflop, not raise to 3000 :)

In this situation after Your bet and his shove you should instant call. He will 3-bet You very often here because he know that you fold a lot of your range because of bubble. But with AK you are probably ahead. If You shove first You should take the blinds :)

H

HodCohen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
M <10, this is an easy open shove. Position doesn't really matter this short, as you can't play much poker at that SPR. You're so far ahead of a random hand, it's ridiculous. Maybe you run into AA or KK, but that's going to happen less than 2% of the time. You're going to get called by Ax often enough to more than make up for those bad runs. Additionally, BB expects you to try a button steal with ATC. reshoving on you is reasonable with 22+,Ax. You've allowed the villain to put the tough decision on you.

Last edited:
Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open shove preflop. As played if you are going to raise to 3k, then you should snap call. Raise/folding AK from the button with 14BB would be terrible.

J

jospel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should've pushed all in from the get go.

You should call his all in push and double up with your AK.

J

Jimboskie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
20 BBs and less and I'm looking for Ax, broadways etc shove spots. I used to widdle my stack down too much. If I only have 7bbs it's because I just lost a pot.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you do not make allin and fold, you will have a small stack. The next good card is unknown when you receive. During this time, you still have an ante who takes the chips and blades. And even if you have a good card, you still have to go all out with the rest of the stack.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm deep in an online MTT Knockout...23 players left out of 192 and 20 get paid. There are 7 players at my table.

The SB folds.

Two questions...

I probably would also say shove of your stack with AK, you have establish aggressive play and take control of the action.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have expected the large stack to defend his blind . So if you didn't want the confrontation you should've went all-in pre-flop and if you did want it then you played it right , just call . You're probably ahead . Just curious what did happen?

J

Johnrickard123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be shipping it here on the open. But his 3 bet is probably a steal attempt in response to your standard open with some weaker holdings (Think Ax, 22-77, Suited connectors). You're flipping a coin at worst against those lower pairs, dominating SCs and Ax. Got to take your chances at this stage in the tourney and the double up is huge for you in this spot. Don't play MTTs for min cashes anyway, go for the win!

Last edited:
M

mblmusic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should have expected the large stack to defend his blind . So if you didn't want the confrontation you should've went all-in pre-flop and if you did want it then you played it right , just call . You're probably ahead . Just curious what did happen?
I folded, and later finished 4th in the tournament. I think the consensus that I should have pushed all-in pre-flop was correct!

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree all in and being aggressive right away was the right play. But if your playing cautiously then I understand as well.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would shove preflop, but you just raised 2BB on the button with less than 20BB, I put the villain in a big range to move all-in, you should pay, you were in front of most of his cards.

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be snap calling a shove in this spot. Most of the time you will fold in this spot, but this time you've got the goods.

T

Twobit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree a bit with the concensus here that open shoving is optimal.

I like your open raise, because it invites a re-steal attempt. I'm wanting the other player to think I'm just trying to steal and have them shove, and I snap call with AK.

Open raising here means sometimes they all fold, and I'm happy to take the blinds. Sometimes you get 3 bet and then I'm happy to get it in with AK. Sometimes you get flat called. No problem, you have plenty of chips left if you have to fold to a poor post flop situation.

I think you played this well, until the press flop fold. That was the mistake, I believe. Results aside.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go all in ...
The player on the BB defends his bet ... and thinks you want to steal the pot ...
So boldly throw everything ... You have a great chance of winning ..)))
:driver:

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are concerned about calling an "all in" on the bubble with AK, then either jam before the big stack's action or fold.

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course all in pre-flop a very strong hand at this stage with AK to see a flop is not necessary , it is possible to lose the stack

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah that sucks but definatly want to call with AK even though you hate it, also you get to see what sort of hands they will bully with on the bubble. I have seen some crazy all in shoves on the bubble, Rags just because they have a monsta stack, and I've seen them get called and I've seen them go on meltdown and go from 1st to bubble boy.

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bubble MTT play there two types of players. One gets scared by the bubble and others take advantage of it. Try and be the latter. Even though you stack wasn't that deep, you can still bully a big stack - he's only 2x and change up on you. A shove would've probably scared him off.

With that said, I've seen some crazy stuff on the bubble by larger stacks willing to lose half their chips on a coinflip.

When I'm on the bubble with an strong unmade starting hand or pocket k/q/j I always try and see the flop fairly cheaply. I'd still raise, but I wouldn't just flat call or raise the min. You gotta put something on the line so people understand that you're committed if somebody shoves.

3k in the pot late is what, 500/1k with antes and maybe a limp-fold in there? Somewhere around there anyway. At that level he's only got 50bb or, because he's 2x you only 25 effective two handed against you.

He's not that far ahead - a 7x raise might've done the same thing as a shove against somebody that close. That way you could've seen 3 on a call, taken it down without risking too much or, at worst, be forced into a shove anyway. You'll rest easy knowing the only hand that had greater equity is A/A and if he turns them over then, rip, my the poker gods be in your favor.

Either way - I'd rather play a little more conservative but still strong in position and see it cheaper if possible. If not and he pushes against you, do what you were going to do anyway and shove.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
M

mico595

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, for two consecutive battles in one tournament, I had AК s and both I lost from JJ. Yes, now some who understand mathematics, what is the likelihood of this happening! I have other events, one of the most interesting is that for one day in several different tournaments, 4 times AA is lost by JJ. MATHEMATICS !!!

frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The SB folds.

Two questions...

Fold your AK because it never ends well. All in preflop.

Attachments

• bad beat.jpg
    bad beat.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 27
G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll rest easy knowing the only hand that had greater equity is A/A and if he turns them over then, rip, my the poker gods be in your favor.
hand = hands

and A/A = A/A, K/K, Q/Q and coinflip or less anything else. Wrote it at 4am, mybad.

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the opponents hand range. If you think that he has a hand weaker than AQ than I would call him in a heart beat. But if you think he has a better hand than yours than folding is the smart choice.
You shouldn't raise preflop if you aren't ready to put all your chips in the middle. Otherwise I would just call the BB and fold if he 3 bets me too much

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I would have called that shove for sure. It is pretty common thing to defend blind that way, especially if you are a bigstack. I think this was a great chance to double up for you, but hey - you still got to the 4th place, so maybe that fold was for the best. But still - I would call in that situation every time.