On the Bubble

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How conscious should a person be on the bubble?

I try not to pay much attention, but did when I first started playing.
However, recently I've busted several times.

Any thoughts?
Also, in the latter stages of a tourney when blinds represent about 5-10% of your stack.
I know it's relative, but does 2x bb show weakness and any thoughts on a continuation bet when pots are huge?

(if x4 bb could be close to half your stack, does all in sound more reasonable?)

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah if 4x bb is half your stack then you only have 8 bb so your only play is to go all in or fold. You may pick up the pot uncontested which is not insignificant at this time as you’ll get 1.5 bb plus all the antes which is probably another bb so that over 25% of your stack. If you do get called hopefully it’ll only be one whereas if you only min raise you may get a lot more callers and make it harder to win the pot.

That said, you should be shoving before you get that low. By about 12-15 bb start looking for a hand to shove. Lots of good push/fold charts out there.

As far as bubble goes, it’s good to be aware as you may be able to steal pots as a lot of people tighten up to get in the money. Be more aggressive unless a lot of others already are then only if you have a hand you’re willing to go all in with.

Good luck.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah if 4x bb is half your stack then you only have 8 bb so your only play is to go all in or fold. You may pick up the pot uncontested which is not insignificant at this time as you’ll get 1.5 bb plus all the antes which is probably another bb so that over 25% of your stack. If you do get called hopefully it’ll only be one whereas if you only min raise you may get a lot more callers and make it harder to win the pot.

That said, you should be shoving before you get that low. By about 12-15 bb start looking for a hand to shove. Lots of good push/fold charts out there.

As far as bubble goes, it’s good to be aware as you may be able to steal pots as a lot of people tighten up to get in the money. Be more aggressive unless a lot of others already are then only if you have a hand you’re willing to go all in with.

Good luck.

Hi all , pretty much covers what i was gonna say ,
I am very aware if the bubble, however my stack size vs blinds is extremely important and also do i need to win the tourney or simply cash ....
if wsop for example and i have above average stack, i can fold AA , purely a "policy decision " , especially if really close <5 people to the itm,
if an online freeroll and I'm in the bottom say 30% and i want to win, then the aggression factor is up,
this topic is very important i feel as players play real differently with sshb (small stack huge blinds) haha , and lots are being stubborn with little chips 8bb < , any raise preflop should be ready to shove as you will only get "called" (most likely reraised) by players with anything or also willing (forced) to gamble, short stacked at this time is another game altogether imo, coin-flip poker mixed with timing and well placed aggression, of course if you actually get a playable hand in these moments then it's easy :p ,
if you're lucky you can go from bottom of the pile to top 5 in a few minutes,
the "trick" is to have enough chips (above average or ×2 this) before levels get crazy (400/800 , 600/1200) etc ...

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know it's relative, but does 2x bb show weakness and any thoughts on a continuation bet when pots are huge?

In my limited experience, no , 2×bb is enough to get "the message through" and doesn't show weakness, if it can save you at times then you lose less chips,
For example utg 2×bb , 5 other players who outchip you shove and you have say KQ , easy fold + least amount of damage , at times i feel we price ourselves too much into pots at these levels , and end up having to shove when we really didn't want to, (i will start a separate thread on this )
I have found 2×bb or even min raise garners quite a few folds or shoves (those who were shoving anyway) ,

Last edited:
drejva11

drejva11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stall till the bubble or try to double up your stack, one or another, sure its kinda dangerous but you need to take risks sometimes.

N

nathan66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should still keep in mind that you're on the bubble, I usually play more tight when I'm in this case but don't overreact by folding all your hands.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
mini raise make many fold. Its not weakness

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The subject of the bubble is relative .. there are many people who say that it is good to be aggressive in the bubble .. but when they are aggressive in the bubble most of the time others play high or something very strong .. and most of Sometimes you will go slow looking to exploit that aggressiveness ..

I think it's dangerous to play aggressively in the bubble, I think it's better to play the maximum tight because any minimum error takes you out of the tournament ..

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tight close to the bubble a lot of times. If you notice everyone is doing the same it is worth it to raise 2.5x and you can substantially increase chipstack.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the bubble I try to play as usual, without experiencing icm pressure. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes - not. In any event/tournament, we can become a bubble boy.

A

ashley8276

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on the bubble

I hate having a good hand and calling a all in on the bubble then busting out its very frustrating. id rather fold pocket aces next time,

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Risk must be taken. Remember you play to WIN the tour, not to end on 37 place, so taking risk is part of the game and there is cards so they flip, one time is head one is tail so luck is included how much we liked that or not. Even being super cold and wait for right hand may be payable but how much that is? If you pay 25 $ or 100 $ to buy in and the last place is 130 you can ask yourself are you play 3,4,5 hours maybe more to win a 30$ with 100??? If I'm in place i watch my stack and try to make it fat so if is it on bubble is not so much a quest. I play for the FT.

Shishkin30

Shishkin30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the bubble stage, you need to play very carefully. I personally don't even play a monster hands.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe don't think about the bubble? and stay calm playing with a low stack. wait for a good hand to shove with.