Bluffing in tourneys!?

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so yesterday I tried to rep an Ace after it paired on the river and lost all my chips
I thought it's a reasonable move since everyone checked on the flop it was three player and I'm in the middle position. there was a betting on the turn I had KJ and the flop had QAX
why is it a bad move if it is? when should one bluff at tourneys? should we play without big bluffs generally at tourneys?
I know it's not a very believable line since I checked and then called the bet

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bluff has to be credible, this one probably wasn’t as, as you say, you checked the flop which had an A, then tried to rep it on the river. Generally I don’t bluff postflop with my entire stack, sometimes a smaller bet looks stronger and you don’t lose all your chips when it doesn’t work!

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bluff has to be credible, this one probably wasn’t as, as you say, you checked the flop which had an A, then tried to rep it on the river. Generally I don’t bluff postflop with my entire stack, sometimes a smaller bet looks stronger and you don’t lose all your chips when it doesn’t work!
Yes indeed. It was more of an impulse bluff which is a bad thing

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing on the river is fine but i don't see why you would bluff off all of your chips

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's too late to represent a hand on a bluff on the river. You didn't bet the first A so why would anyone expect you hit it on the river. Good luck.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bluff has to take into consideration the player you’re going against. If you had a read and he folds there a lot there’s not much you can do. Sometimes players look you up

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pay attention that you can bluff differently. You can pretend that you have nothing in your hands, that is, in this way, to urge the opponents to raise the bet. It is clear that this will only work with a strong hand))

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing in tournaments is fine but you need to do it when your "story" is credible. In the situation you described you've left out a lot of information about preflop betting, position, stacks and so on but, with the little sketch you have given us I would say your bluff wasn't credible. it didn't make sense that you had an ace.

You need to have bluffing as part of your arsenal for tournaments. To plan a bluff you need to first understand one thing..what range of hands will your opponents think you have?

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the plays have to be according to the preflop, and the flop, if you get and pay you the most likely is that they have and there are already

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have to look at my stats, but in general, I'd say a cbet on the flop with an Ace on board tends to work a decent amount. And of course, if you're betting half the pot, it only has to work a third of the time, even less if there's antes.

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is but a tool in the arsenal of a poker player. And like any other tool, it needs to be used to become familiar with it and when it is the right tool for the job.

SrWesleiNF

SrWesleiNF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that there is no way to win a tournament without bluffing because we will not always leave with cards so we have to sign.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't

The wise saying is never bluff your way out of a tournament.

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you bluffed at the wrong times, before you start bluffing you should read your opponents so you have a better idea on when to get away with it. dont bluff all your chips, go half at most.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're leaving out a lot of details such as: pre-flop action, positions of your opponents, opponents' playing styles, turn and river cards. You mention that there were 3 players. Was it 3 players other than you or 3 players total ? Bluffing against 2 opponents is risky and against 3 is very risky. Bluffing in tournaments is also risky because the rising blinds/antes make players feel committed to their TPTK and over pair hands. Until you are experienced in being able to pick good bluffing opportunities, I suggest you stick with c-bets, semi-bluff draws and maybe an occasional 3-bet with a mediocre hand. You do not need to pull off crazy bluffs to get a good tournament cash.

S

Sp0own

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that your play would be good if you had the nuts but either way it's not optimal.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the good bluff is the ones we anticipate and build preflop. it's impossible to touch his cards every time. sometimes you have to bluff some spots so you do not lose too many chips. When you play tight, your opponents have a hard time not to believe you. what counts most is your image at the table but also the style and level of play of your opponent. If your opponent does not know how to play then it is useless to try to bluff it. If you know that your opponent has a good game and it is not in his habit to back down in front of the danger so better to avoid bluffing him.It has players who are more passive than others and it is on them that your bluff will be more result.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very profitable buffing strategy for me when I am in the multiway pot, flop is coming and there is a huge pot, paired board (better if there is no flush or straight draws) and I just donk bet minimum, and people just fold. Works better if I am in early position. Easy money xD

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing in tournaments is fine but you need to do it when your "story" is credible. In the situation you described you've left out a lot of information about preflop betting, position, stacks and so on but, with the little sketch you have given us I would say your bluff wasn't credible. it didn't make sense that you had an ace.

You need to have bluffing as part of your arsenal for tournaments. To plan a bluff you need to first understand one thing..what range of hands will your opponents think you have?
probably wrote a lazy one you're right ) I'm aware of range reading and such but it was more of an impulse bet that didn't involve much thought, thought I had to rep that ace if none has it. and guess wrongly if the bet is big enough they wouldn't dare to call even if it's somewhat not to believable..the thing I learned though is to check some aces sometimes and make them look like a bluff! )(

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very profitable buffing strategy for me when I am in the multiway pot, flop is coming and there is a huge pot, paired board (better if there is no flush or straight draws) and I just donk bet minimum, and people just fold. Works better if I am in early position. Easy money xD
nice
thanks for sharing

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Who does not risk dont drinking champagne!"
Sorry for my bad english.

AlexGrinStar

AlexGrinStar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree, sometimes a pot-sized bet or even a bit less looks like a valuе bet...

C

Colorado9696

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is essential for tournament success . Always bluff in position, in heads up pots for best results. Need to have fold equity. You dont get fold equity from calling or checking. So if you plan to bluff in position, and it is raised before you, 3 bet to gain fold equity on later streets. A large pot sized c bet on the flop if it is checked to you usually gets your opponent to fold. If your opponent calls your bet, he could be floating. Barrel on the turn and river if the cards are safe. Always bluff with your range and not your cards.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluff costing all your chips is dangerous, I'm still training these types of moves.