Bluff = chips

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play alot of tournaments online every week. At least 1 a day depending on how deep I run but I noticed that I win most of my big pots when I bluff at them. I do pick my bluffs Wisley ie if player c bets on a board of K94 I call with AJ then the turn is a 9 if my opponent checks or min bets this is a good time to represent the 9 or If your opponent 3bet and the flop comes with 3 of the same suit u can bluffff the flush. Anyway my point is that u aren't going to win tournaments waiting around to flop the nuts all the time and if there are antes aswell then you have to put on your gloves and get in there and fight for pots!!!Do yous agree or have anymore tips?

kriss22m

kriss22m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play alot of tournaments online every week. At least 1 a day depending on how deep I run but I noticed that I win most of my big pots when I bluff at them. I do pick my bluffs Wisley ie if player c bets on a board of K94 I call with AJ then the turn is a 9 if my opponent checks or min bets this is a good time to represent the 9 or If your opponent 3bet and the flop comes with 3 of the same suit u can bluffff the flush. Anyway my point is that u aren't going to win tournaments waiting around to flop the nuts all the time and if there are antes aswell then you have to put on your gloves and get in there and fight for pots!!!Do yous agree or have anymore tips?
I play same way.. But only sometimes. Normally preffer to wait the moment to catch a fish... And im a Good fisherman... Haha
Buut my strategy is depend on the tourneys... Don't know why . Just feeling it that way. ;):rolleyes:

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
The basic advice to you is to remain patient during each tournament, even though it s even a freeroll.
Good luck.

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love to pick up chips with a bluff... or to call one... very enjoyably part og the game :)

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loosing money makes people to fold medium hands against bluffs. I'm not saying to become a calling station, but analizing your oponents and bluff them regular it's OK from my point of view. And YES bluffs=money,a lot of money.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Bluff is an importand tool, because as you wright correctly, it is impossible to have the nuts all the time, or to receive the perfect cards. It is also very dangerous tool too, because if it doen't work it causes a significant damage!

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are very accurate in your analysis. As for me, I have several strategies, everything depends on the moment and the reading of the opponent. Being more EV, no matter how many plays you create.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is high risk/high reward, but like you said, we can reduce the risk by choosing the right spots. Knowing out opponent, knowing our image, and telling a good story go a long way in creating a successful bluff. But I do agree, waiting for the nuts will usually have you bleeding dry in chips. Having a good bluffing range, combined with the right boards and frequency, can be very profitable.

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best time to stack up is near the bubble when nobody really wants to call unless they have ace+face card, but it also takes thick skin to make those calls, but the blinds are usually worth it

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When to bluff

When to bluff and when to fold. These are importat limits that a poker play has to think carefully. Because the game itself opens up a lot of possibilities, some people talk that theres is a price to each hand, but i discord, the game is s chance to think on your own behavior. The decisions that you make is who :ahhhhh:you are.

Last edited:
mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Basically I do the same as you to choose wisely when to do the bluff and if you are right, you can not always expect to tie the plays, at some point of the tournament you have to bluff and steal the blinds, of course always taking care, a lot of patience and having a good reading of your opponents

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you, if we wait for good cards to be able to play will be the same as failure, so it is very important to study the weapons of poker, position, aggression, strength of the hand. We must learn to read the board and keep in mind that our opponents will miss the flop most of the time, just as we miss they also make mistakes.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
Playing poker and not bluffing is not possible.

But remember there is also players who slow play you and you will be busted with your bluff..

So it’s a lot of ifs and buts of playing poker and bluffing.

Thanks

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to pick your bluffs cearfully cause you can burn very easy whith them.

cardartist85

cardartist85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree to an extent, but I think a lot of players get caught up thinking that bluff is king in poker. Then its pretty easy to get a read on them once you notice a pattern. If you are playing low stakes a lot of players wont even notice your habits of betting anytime there is weakness shown, but the stronger players can really set you up that way or even just be insanely sticky and call you down with a small pair. I agree with you though, you have to look for spots to be aggressive and pick plays that will make sense according to the situation. You can't sit around waiting for the nuts and expect to win a tourney. You will get blinded to death and chances are you will have to take a stand with a suboptimal hand anyway if you keep waiting around forever.

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without bluffing it's impossible to win

I agree with the caveat that it is mostly impossible to win.. I have seen some novices catch cards like mad that result in wins.. anything can happen.. that's why we play..

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree..mixing in some bluffs is the only way to get thru the middle stages of an MTT unless, of course, you get very lucky. One key concept I have learned about bluffing is to vary the bluffs by position. Raising from late position often invokes a call from the blinds and when you c bet they call again because they assume you are bluffing. Doing the same from early position can have the opposite effect. You can often scoop the blinds and antes with an early position raise.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluff involves many things, even the amount of betting chips, if you make a bad bluff, you get caught by the villain even if he also has no pair he will pay his bluff, you have to be very careful, but without the bluff it is impossible to win tournaments.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is a big part of poker, especially when playing tournaments. I like to switch up my style of play every once in a while and sometimes, very often I will show a bluff just to try to get players off their marks so next time when they think I'm bluffing I can show them the nuts.

M

Monkeyfart1217

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff usually work until they find out you bluff. Once they know you better not do it too often.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Absolutely brilliant....pick your spots and nab those pots!

Stick with what works for you.

Pay attention to bluff failures. But it sounds like you have a handle on what works and why.

Poker and baseball are the two sports where stealing is encouraged.

Good luck !

N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff Catchers

Hey, I totally agree with you that you do have to bluff t win some pots because if you just wait around the whole tournament till you have the nuts you're not getting very far because you having the nuts doesn't mean your opponents are going to call your shove or large bets because they know you are plying tight.

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the bluff you still need to choose the right rival, not just the situation. There are players opposing which bluff does not work, they can pull a pair 22 to shown down нon any table ...

Poker Chips - History of Chips