blast tournament

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the blast tournament format on 888 poker - have evaluated it and havnt really decided what i think is the optimal strategy.

play aggressively or delay etc.

what is your comments/advice?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normal play stop after just two minutes, which is normally no more than 2-3 hands, so BLAST is really just a slot machine dressed up as poker, and there is very little, you can do to generate edge.​

Last edited:
ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really, after the two minutes are over, it's bingo !!!! HEAR OIUeh OIAUEH OIUeh Ah OIUe

:icon_flow:tomato:

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
blast

its only the 10cent blast that takes 2 min, the 5 dollar blast takes 6 min - not sure about higher buy-in, i only won tickets to the 5 dollar ones.

agree it is very short time - but guessing strategy has to depend on your hands given - basically if you have the biggest stack once the blast start you will have the highest probability to win! so if you win first hand - just delay game play etc.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its only the 10cent blast that takes 2 min, the 5 dollar blast takes 6 min - not sure about higher buy-in, i only won tickets to the 5 dollar ones.

Ok I did not know that. I have used my 5$ tickets for normal tournaments and only my 10c tickets, which you sometimes win directly at the daily spin, for BLAST. I really dont like this format at all. A normal Spin n Go is very fast already, but at least the ones at pokerstars do have a final heads up, that need to be played to the end, as in any other tournament.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Does not sound worth while to me. Id stay away from them.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best strategy is not to stay out before the all-in. At least at that moment you have a chance to win. Anyway, it is still a four player table, so a hand like 9-9 can be a monster at the table.

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I did not know that. I have used my 5$ tickets for normal tournaments and only my 10c tickets, which you sometimes win directly at the daily spin, for BLAST. I really dont like this format at all. A normal Spin n Go is very fast already, but at least the ones at PokerStars do have a final heads up, that need to be played to the end, as in any other tournament.

ok i didnt know you could use the tickets you win for blast tournaments could be used on regular tournaments - thanks

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok i didnt know you could use the tickets you win for blast tournaments could be used on regular tournaments - thanks

They are not really advertising it so much. If you click on the ticket, you won, it will show BLAST and satellites to even bigger MTTs than 5$. However if you go into the MTT lobby and find a 5$ event and click on "registrate", you will be given the choise of paying with your ticket.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I tried different strategies in blast tournaments. I achieved the best result when I played a good card. I tried to play aggressively, but I think this strategy will not lead to success in the Balsts. Aggressive style of play is well suited for spin and go tournaments or heads-up tournaments, but not for blasts. I think to achieve stability in this kind of tournaments is very difficult. Therefore, such tournaments can be considered only as entertainment. This is my personal opinion.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cutting out the final stages of play obviously reduce skill edge even further compared to normal Spin n Gos. So I agree, its questionable, if these events are even beatable in the long run, considering that the rake is very high compared to the amount of hands, you get to play in just 6 minutes.

That being said, if you are going to play them, a winner take all format does reward an aggressive style in the early stages, since there is no reward for leveling up and finishing second or third. You gotta win all the chips to win anything, so you kind of have to just go for it.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Basicaly aggresivelly, because these are fast tournaments. Also you must have a biger stack from the others, if you want to survive the "blast".

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ideal strategy is to stay ahead in stack with few chips so when the all in stage come you can get at least 2nd place ( it can be profitable when the 2nd place offer prize ) otherwise its a big lottery

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In blast tournaments, its hard to win consistently. The way to maybe tip the odds is either be super aggressive with ace or king anything and go all-in to get any lead as possible. Or be super tight because in the end every dollar counts when blast ends especially if you spin a bigger prize amount.

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ideal strategy is to stay ahead in stack with few chips so when the all in stage come you can get at least 2nd place ( it can be profitable when the 2nd place offer prize ) otherwise its a big lottery
I agree, that's what I have been doing. Trying to build up a stack in the first 3 -4 hands and then hope for at least a second place pay, if there is one.