Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #1

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to be starting a series of posts as I play online tournaments. The main purpose of my post is to discuss and analyze my play. If anyone ever has questions about the site that I am playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

Today's tournament was on a new site that I have started to play on. They have something called Daily Big Event which has a guaranteed prize pool of 30,000 (~$540 U.S. Dollars) crypto tokens for today. There were a total of 135 registered players and the blind levels were 8 minutes long.

The first interesting hand of the tournament was literally the first hand dealt. Blinds started at 20/40 and I was sitting in the Lojack seat. I was dealt pocket Jacks and started to think about what I would do with this hand. UTG+1 raised to 100 and UTG+2 called. Action was now on me and I decided to 3-bet to 360. That seemed to have worked well because the action folded back around to UTG+2 who called my raise. (Pot 880)

The flop came :kd4: :4d4: :kh4:

I didn't think this was a very good flop for me. Why? When I start to think about what my opponents range should include, there is always some combination of Kx in their range. Right away some alarms in my head started to go off and warn me to be careful. The thing that I wanted to be careful of is a bloated pot. My goal immediately became pot control. Villain checked! I checked back. (Pot 880)

The turn is a :ks4:

I started to think about what I could do next. I think the possibility of Villain having a K in their hand is less likely but Kx is still within their range. I think Villain's range is more likely to have hands like Ax or Qx and pocket pairs. I still think I need to be careful getting to the river. Villain bets 2/3 pot for 586 on the turn and I call. (Pot 2,052)

River is a :3c4:

I start to wonder about what Villains could have... the bet on the turn seemed to be pretty standard. Maybe a pocket pair? Villain checks and I wonder if I should put in a bet. Did they miss? Does Villain open to wide and my opening ranges for Villain are to small? I decide to check. I win the pot for 2,052!

The next interesting hand happens while I am on the button. The blinds are 60/120 with 12 ante. Action folds around to the cutoff who limps in. I decide to 3 bet to 480 with QJs. SB folds and BB shoves all in with a little over 7,000. The cutoff folds and I tank for a bit... I start to wonder about what Villain could have. I know there should be some hands within Villain's range that will dominate me. Did Villain catch a premium hand while in the BB? Is Villain bluffing to steal? Eventually I decide to call. Our hands get tabled and Villain has A9o. The board runs out:

:qd4: :7s4: :3s4: :10h4: :9h4:

I win the pot for 6,392! This hand sticks out to me because of what the BB shoved all in with. Is my call to loose or is BB playing to wide?

As the tournament progresses, I manage to win a few hands taking down some small pots. Once I get past the break the blinds and antes start to catch up to me. By the time the blinds are 1,000/2,000 with a 200 ante I finally bust out in 34th place.

Let me know how you think I played the hands. Is there something that I could have done differently?

If you are interested in checking out the tournament, let me know so I can send you a link. I am not able to post any URL yet.

Attachments

• QJspades.jpg
    QJspades.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 23
  • KingsfullJJ.jpg
    KingsfullJJ.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 22
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ranging Villains early.

I am going to be starting a series of posts as I play online tournaments. The main purpose of my post is to discuss and analyze my play. If anyone ever has questions about the site that I am playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

Today's tournament was on a new site that I have started to play on. They have something called Daily Big Event which has a guaranteed prize pool of 30,000 (~$540 U.S. Dollars) crypto tokens for today. There were a total of 135 registered players and the blind levels were 8 minutes long.

The first interesting hand of the tournament was literally the first hand dealt. Blinds started at 20/40 and I was sitting in the Lojack seat. I was dealt pocket Jacks and started to think about what I would do with this hand. UTG+1 raised to 100 and UTG+2 called. Action was now on me and I decided to 3-bet to 360. That seemed to have worked well because the action folded back around to UTG+2 who called my raise. (Pot 880)

The flop came :kd4: :4d4: :kh4:

I didn't think this was a very good flop for me. Why? When I start to think about what my opponents range should include, there is always some combination of Kx in their range. Right away some alarms in my head started to go off and warn me to be careful. The thing that I wanted to be careful of is a bloated pot. My goal immediately became pot control. Villain checked! I checked back. (Pot 880)

The turn is a :ks4:

I started to think about what I could do next. I think the possibility of Villain having a K in their hand is less likely but Kx is still within their range. I think Villain's range is more likely to have hands like Ax or Qx and pocket pairs. I still think I need to be careful getting to the river. Villain bets 2/3 pot for 586 on the turn and I call. (Pot 2,052)

River is a :3c4:

I start to wonder about what Villains could have... the bet on the turn seemed to be pretty standard. Maybe a pocket pair? Villain checks and I wonder if I should put in a bet. Did they miss? Does Villain open to wide and my opening ranges for Villain are to small? I decide to check. I win the pot for 2,052!

The next interesting hand happens while I am on the button. The blinds are 60/120 with 12 ante. Action folds around to the cutoff who limps in. I decide to 3 bet to 480 with QJs. SB folds and BB shoves all in with a little over 7,000. The cutoff folds and I tank for a bit... I start to wonder about what Villain could have. I know there should be some hands within Villain's range that will dominate me. Did Villain catch a premium hand while in the BB? Is Villain bluffing to steal? Eventually I decide to call. Our hands get tabled and Villain has A9o. The board runs out:

:qd4: :7s4: :3s4: :10h4: :9h4:

I win the pot for 6,392! This hand sticks out to me because of what the BB shoved all in with. Is my call to loose or is BB playing to wide?

As the tournament progresses, I manage to win a few hands taking down some small pots. Once I get past the break the blinds and antes start to catch up to me. By the time the blinds are 1,000/2,000 with a 200 ante I finally bust out in 34th place.

Let me know how you think I played the hands. Is there something that I could have done differently?

If you are interested in checking out the tournament, let me know so I can send you a link. I am not able to post any URL yet.

Thank U 4 Posting.

Hand 1
Pot 260 -U raise to 360 - pot 620 utg2 has to call 260 to win 880 over 3-1. Is this a good sizing with JJ?

When utg2 calls the first raise did U start to build their hand range? Then when they call your raise did you narrow that range? Would AA AK QQ KQ-K2 be in that range?

Kd4dKh. In your villain range how many more flush combos are there vs Kx combos?
What hands would villain check raise with? How many Kx are in your range vs villains range?

What would you do with AA QQ on this flop? Is JJ not also in that range in this spot?

Kd4dKhKs. Villain bets 586. Do we have AA QQ AK Kx in villain range? How often would a villain in your player pool bet this size 2/3 pot after you check flop with the above hands?

Kd4dKhKs3c- Villain checks. If villain has Kx why 2/3 pot turn- check river? Why would villain expect you to bet so they could check raise? There is no bluff to make and most players in your spot check back.
If villain has AA QQ why limp call pre? What % of the time is this possible?

If we bet river for value what sizing would be best? Would our villain ever check raise bluff?

Is it not ok to thin value bet the river and lose to QQ when we are ahead of 1010 99 -22 A4s A3S.
Could villain put us on AQ AJ 88 77 66 55 44 33 22?

The two main points of this hand are 1 Make a plan sooner. 2 spend time away from the game working out hand ranges.

Hand 2

Work on your hand ranges. Then use the cardschat calculator. Any Ax vs QJ is a coin flip. Any pair is a coin flip. KQ KJ AQ AhKh AJ is crushing us. AA KK play like this in your player pool I think. Doe Qx Jx combos or 67s etc combos do this?

It is fine to gamble, knowing hand ranges helps that gamble be +ev

Hope this helps

:):)

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a good sizing with JJ?

Taking into consideration that blinds are 20/40, I think the 3 bet I made is not bad. We are looking at a raise with a flat call. Could I go a little bigger? Maybe, but I don't think my sizing is horrible. It is a little over 3x the original raise and 9x the BB.

When utg2 calls the first raise did U start to build their hand range? Then when they call your raise did you narrow that range? Would AA AK QQ KQ-K2 be in that range?

Yes, I am thinking about what could be in their hand range. Since it is the first hand of the tournament I don't have much information to go on so my hand ranges are pretty standard. I am thinking of something like AA-66, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQs - K8s, KQo - KTo, QJs - Q8s, QJo. When they call my range I start to get rid of some of the smaller pocket pairs, lower range of off suit connectors. At that point I am really just thinking of broadway combos.

In your villain range how many more flush combos are there vs Kx combos? What hands would villain check raise with? How many Kx are in your range vs villains range?

If I counted correctly there are 4 more flush combos than there are Kx combos. I don't really see to many hands that you want to check raise with here. Because of the player pool that I am normally facing and the lack of information I have... I decide to play it cautiously and check back.

What would you do with AA QQ on this flop? Is JJ not also in that range in this spot?

This really depends on the situation. I think more often than not I am going to bet.
Villain bets 586. Do we have AA QQ AK Kx in villain range? How often would a villain in your player pool bet this size 2/3 pot after you check flop with the above hands?

Yes, and the player pool often makes large sized bets. With the amount of starting chips that you have, some of the bets can get ridiculous and you find yourself facing a lot of all-in bingo shoves.

If villain has Kx why 2/3 pot turn- check river? Why would villain expect you to bet so they could check raise? There is no bluff to make and most players in your spot check back.

I do feel like I missed a value bet here. Perhaps villain will call off any 1/4 - 1/3 sized bet? You raise a good point about most players checking back in this spot.

Thanks for bringing up some good points and critical thinking of the hands that were posted.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #2

Second post of my online tournament adventures. The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I am playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

Today's hands come from the Big Daily Event with a guaranteed 30,000 crypto tokens (~$540 U.S. Dollars). A total of 131 players registered in the tournament and the blind levels were 8 minutes long.

I was pretty card dead for the first few levels of play until I finally got dealt pocket kings in the cutoff. Blinds were at 80/160 with 16 ante. UTG player shoves all in for 1,595... right away I am putting this player on a strong hand. Action folds around to me and I shove over with 2,240. Everyone left folds and we are going to see a showdown heads up.

Villain shows :as4: :8d4: vs Hero :kh4: :kd4:

The board runs out :2c4: :8s4: :4h4: :3d4: :8c4:

Villain gets there on the river! Leaving me with 645... Losing the pot of 3558. I am officially on life support. Seems like this might be a loooong tourney.

After a little bit of folding and waiting, I think I finally get a hand. Blinds are still at 80/160 with 16 ante. UTG min raises to 320 and I am next to act. I only have 581 left, so I shove it all in. UTG+2 calls and action folds back around to the UTG player who shoves all in. The UTG+2 player folds and we have another showdown heads up!

Villain shows :as4: :jd4: vs Hero :ad4: :ks4: I like my odds of winning, about 70%.

The board runs out :6h4: :4s4: :8h4: :kc4: :3d4:

I win the pot of 2111! Maybe things will start to take a turn for the better. Just a couple more double ups to get above the average chip stack.

A couple hands later I find myself looking at another nice hand while in the big blind. The blinds are still at 80/160 with a 16 ante. UTG and the button limp in, everyone else in between those two players fold. The small blind is next to act and raises to 960. I think about this for a few seconds before I go all in with KQo, making 2079 to call. Action folds back around to the small blind who calls. My third all in heads up pot of the tournament.

Villain shows :ks4: :10h4: vs Hero :kd4: :qs4:

The board runs out :3c4: :2s4: :9d4: :jd4: :4d4:

With the adrenaline pumping through me I do a little celebratory fist pump as I win the pot of 4606! Now with a little more chips to play with I feel confident about the future levels. Unfortunately I go card dead again and eventually the blinds catch up to me again. I end up busting out of the tournament in 62nd place with KQo while the blinds were at 250/500 with 50 ante. Not much I can do with only 3 blinds left. Maybe next time I can make the money.

Attachments

• PocketKings.jpg
    PocketKings.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 13
  • BigSlickOffSuit.jpg
    BigSlickOffSuit.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 13
C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #3

For my third post of tournament adventures I made the final table! I will be splitting up my hand history leading up to the final table. The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I am playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

Today's hand history comes from the Bronze Rocket tournament with 300 crypto tokens guaranteed (~$7.00 U.S. Dollars). There were a total of 36 players that registered and the blind levels were 2 minutes long.

Early on in the tournament I came across my first interesting hand. The blinds were 20/40 and I was the button. The table only had 7 players in the hand. The UTG+1 and Hijack limped in, everyone else in between them folded. I was dealt AKs and decide to raise to 240. BB, UTG+1, and the HJ call. (Pot 980)

Flop comes :ks4: :3d4: :2c4:

Villain 1 checks. I am starting to think about how I can size my bet. I don't think anyone has pocket K.
Villain 2 bets 544.
Villain 3 folds and I decide to raise. All I have left is 1,200 chips so I put it all in.

V1 folds and then V2 calls. We are going to a showdown heads up.

V2 shows :kh4: :js4: vs Hero :ad4: :kd4:

The rest of the board runs out :jc4: :as4:

My pair of Kings hold and I win the pot of 3,380!

After a while of folding, I get another hand while in the big blind. The blinds are 40/80 and we are playing 6 handed. There are two limpers, one of the limpers is the CO/UTG+1. The small blind has 6 blinds left and puts it all in. I try to isolate by putting in a 3 bet to 2,080 with AQo. The CO/UTG+1 with only 1,000 left makes the all in call. We are going to a showdown 3 ways.

Villain 1 shows :9h4: :10h4: vs Villain 2 :4s4: :5c4: vs Hero :ah4: :qs4:

The board runs out :2d4: :js4: :3s4: :6c4: :jc4:

Villain 2 wins the main pot of 1,520 with a straight. Luckily for me I beat Villain 1 getting back what I started out with and making a small gain of 40 chips. I think everyone's call was pretty loose considering their positions.

I go card dead for a while. Folding hands for a few minutes until I get another hand worth playing. The blinds are 200/400 with a 40 ante and we are still playing 6 handed. I am UTG with pocket 8. I open for 1,200 and action folds around to the big blind who calls. We are headed to the flop heads up. (Pot 2,840)

The flop comes :8c4: :7c4: :10s4:

Villain checks. I take a couple seconds to look at how much I have left and decide to shove all in for 1,692. I get called. We are going to a showdown.

Villains shows :as4: :3s4: vs Hero :8s4: :8h4:

The rest of the board runs out :2c4: :jc4:

I take down the pot of 6,224 with my set of 8's!

With the blind levels only taking 2 minutes there is a lot of all in shoves being made. After winning this last hand I started to feel pretty good about my chances to make it to the final table. I will continue more hand history tomorrow! This is part 1 of 3.

Attachments

• BigSlickSuited.jpg
    BigSlickSuited.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 14
  • AQoff.jpg
    AQoff.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Pocket8s.jpg
    Pocket8s.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 14
BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not eat burgers with plenty vegetables. The result is gas.
When you have gas, your system acts strangely and sometimes you go all-in when you should just check...
This is my advice to you.
Nuts are very good also...and tomatoes.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not eat burgers with plenty vegetables. The result is gas.
When you have gas, your system acts strangely and sometimes you go all-in when you should just check...
This is my advice to you.
Nuts are very good also...and tomatoes.

I am not sure I understand. Is there a reason why you think that I should not be shoving all in when I do? Do you think I am playing to aggressive?

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The balance of beef and veggies is key... sometimes you shove the veggies down with the beef, but they should be eaten before the beef...
avoid the bread and all starches, including potato, and rice...
A man cannot shove bread and survive for long!

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The balance of beef and veggies is key... sometimes you shove the veggies down with the beef, but they should be eaten before the beef...
avoid the bread and all starches, including potato, and rice...
A man cannot shove bread and survive for long!

What about factors like pot size, stack, opponent stacks? Do consider this when playing 10 - 20 BB stacks in a torunament? How do think that should affect all in raises?

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Pot changes ones perspective on many things. It often smoothes the way to shoving it all in.
The Guru uses pure meditationary impetus, often coordinated with the amount of the Pot available, and it's Grade.:burnout:

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its been an interesting conversation. Thank you for your perspective.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #4

Today I will be continuing from yesterday's post. This will be the second post of three from a tournament where I made the final table. The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I am playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

We continue our hand history from the Bronze Rocket Tournament with 300 crypto tokens guaranteed (~$7.00 U.S. Dollars). There were a total of 36 players that registered for the tournament and the blind levels were 2 minutes long.

Before I get into this next hand I want to take the time to explain something that I have not seen before. On this site when a new player gets seated at the table if they sit in between the SB and the button then they get dealt in as if the new player was the button. The blinds continue on normally as if the new player was not seated there. Preflop this player will be last to act before the blinds but post flop this player will be first to act.

The tournament is tricky because the blind levels are progressing quickly. By the time I get another interesting hand worth mentioning there are 19 players left. Blinds were 200/400 with a 40 ante and we were playing 7 handed. The UTG limps in, fold, and then the CO/UTG+2 player goes all in for 1,290. The new player in between the button and SB also goes all in with 1,460 and after the SB folds, I am left in the BB to decide what to do with my AKs. I decide to take my chances and shove all in for 6,184. The UTG player who originally limped in and is now facing a 4 bet call/all in puts in all the chips they have left for 2,656. We are going 4 ways to a showdown. Not the best position to be in for all in situation.

Villain 1 :as4: :2d4: vs Villain 2 :2h4: :2c4: vs Villain 3 :ad4: :js4: vs Hero :ac4: :kc4:

Board runs out :3h4: :kd4: :8d4: :jd4: :3c4:

Whoo! I avoided the diamond draw to take down the pot of 8,542 with two pair!

After this it seems like the card gods are not giving me anything worth playing. As players start to get eliminated from the tournament I finally get another hand that I think is worth playing in this situation. Blinds are 400/800 with 80 ante and we have 5 players left at the table. Action folds around to me on the button. I raise it to 2,400 with J9o. I am hoping to just steal the blinds here. SB folds, good... but BB shoves all in. I think about this for a bit. I know that stacks are getting relatively small when compared to the blind level. I also think that the BB may be calling wider in their range since there is only an initial raise from me on the button. Eventually I decide to call.

Villain shows :ah4: :jd4: vs Hero :jh4: :9d4:

I don't really like my cards and can only watch at the board runs out

:kc4: :js4: :10h4: :3c4: :ad4:

I just lost about 3/4 of my stack! At first I like the flop but then realize that villain has the Ace which is bad for me if the Queen hits. Left with 2,454 in my stack, I am officially on life support in this tournament!

As the blinds continue to get more expensive and my stack keeps getting smaller, I manage to pick up some blinds. Then I get a hand that I finally think is good enough to play from the BB. Blinds are 1000/2000 with a 200 ante and we have 6 players at the table. The UTG player limps in and action folds to the UTG+2/HJ who shoves all in with for 21,530. I think about what to do and think about how I only have 1 BB left if I fold, I decide to make the call and go all in for 4,294. UTG also makes the call for 3,184. We are going to a showdown 3 ways.

Villain 1 :ad4: :4d4: vs Villain 2 :6h4: :6s4: vs Hero :jh4: :8c4:

The boards runs out :2s4: :3d4: :4c4: :jc4: :2c4:

I make it with Jacks and Deuces for two pair! I win the pot of 13,972 to put me back in this tournament.

On my next post I will continue with some hands from the final table. This is part 2 of 3.

Attachments

• j8off.jpg
    j8off.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
  • J9off.jpg
    J9off.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
  • AKclubs.jpg
    AKclubs.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 12
hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK nice play and win,:)
J9 off suit is too loose and risky even with button and position prefer folding without trying to steal,:eek:
That j8 is a call any 2 cards a call when most of stack out there in the middle but if did not lose 3/4 of stack earlier and had some fold equity j8 should be more profitable in the long run folding preflop too.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya, I agree with your thoughts about the J9o being loose. In my mind I was justifying the call because we were short handed and I was attempting to mix up my calling range from the button.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #5

Today is the day that I get to the final table! This is the last post of the most recent tournament that I played in. The main purpose of this of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I am playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

Our final table hand history comes from the Bronze Rocket Tournament with 300 crypto tokens guaranteed (~$7.00 U.S. Dollar). There were a total of 36 players that registered for the tournament and the blind levels were 2 minute long.

After 30 minutes of play we finally get down to the final table. The action has tightened up a little and there is maybe one or two players that are playing with more than 10 BB in their stacks. As the blinds start to progress the action starts to open up a little.

While I am in early position UTG+2 I catch a hand to play, JTo. By the time that I am dealt this hand we only have 7 players left. The blinds are 1600/3200 with 320 ante. Action folds to me and I only have about 2 BB, so I decide to go all in for 6,732. Everyone folds around to the BB who decides to call. We are going to a showdown heads up!

Villain shows :6s4: :9s4: vs Hero :jd4: :10c4:

The board runs out :qs4: :kd4: :10h4: :ac4: :5s4:

I catch an Ace high straight on the turn! I take down the pot of 17,304 to double up.

Blinds are getting expensive. Even if I want to put in a min raise it will be half of my stack. The next hand I get is while I am the UTG player. I decide to go all in with KTo for 16,504. Action folds around to the blinds who both are forced to go all in if they want to call. The SB makes the all in call for 4,319 and the BB makes the all in call for 13,476. We are going 3 ways to a showdown!

Villain 1 :kc4: :9c4: vs Villain 2 :kd4: :qh4: vs Hero :ks4: :10c4:

The board runs out :4s4: :8s4: :qs4: :jc4: :9s4:

I manage to get the win with a king high flush! Locking up a 5th place cash, I take the pot of 34,071!

A few orbits later I find myself in the UTG again with KTo. Blinds are 3000/6000 with 600 ant and there are 5 players left. Players seem to be folding pretty tightly. I decide to go all in for 26,899. Everyone folds except for the BB who calls with 4,837. Heads up to a showdown!

Villain shows :qs4: :9s4: vs Hero :kd4: :10h4:

The board runs out :8c4: :9d4: :3c4: :2d4: :6c4:

I lose the pot of 15,674 to a pair of 9. I am not in bad shape yet and could easily come back from this. I am left with about 22,000 in chips.

The very next hand while I am in the BB I get dealt KTo again. I am thinking of playing this hand. The blinds are 3000/6000 with 600 ante and 5 players left. Everyone folds to the blinds. SB goes all in for 15,074 and I decide to call.

Villain 1 shows :kc4: :4c4: vs Hero :kh4: :10c4:

The board runs out :3c4: :7c4: :8c4: :6s4: :jd4:

I had villains out kicked but unfortunately I don't receive any help from the community cards. I lost the pot of 33,148 on the flop to a flush.

I fold the small blind but then I get a hand when I am on the button, pocket 3. The blinds 3500/7000 with 700 ante and 5 players left. The cutoff player goes all in and for the third time I am going up against this player. I decide to make the call with 2,088 left in chips. The blinds folds and we are going heads up to a show down again.

Villain shows :9s4: :9c4: vs Hero :3s4: :3d4:

The board runs out :6h4: :5d4: :qd4: :kd4: :10h4:

For the last time in this tournament I lose a pot. Unable to get any help from the board. I bust out of the tournament in 5th place. It was a good run while it lasted and I made a good run to the final table. Next time maybe I can take the W for first place!

Attachments

• AceHighStraight.jpg
    AceHighStraight.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 12
  • KingHighFlush.jpg
    KingHighFlush.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 12
  • King10off.jpg
    King10off.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Pocket3.jpg
    Pocket3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5thplace.jpg
    5thplace.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12
bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
congratulations on the cash!
however, for safety's sake, I wouldn't gamble.
sometimes it's useful to just sit out a few hot heads.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #6

Today I have lots of up and downs. In this tournament I took multiple re-buys to try and make the money. What goes into your decision making when you re-buy? Do you have any minimum requirements to pull the trigger and take another shot? The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I have been playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or send me a PM.

Today's hand history comes from a "Beginners" tournament that has 300 crypto tokens guaranteed (~$5.00). I put the word beginners in quotes because I don't really know what qualifies as a beginner. I am able to buy in and would not consider myself a beginner. Each buy in gives you 3,000 in chips. The blinds are 5 minutes long and there a total of 105 registered players.

As the tournament starts the hands are pretty standard. I am just sitting there folding until I get hand. A few levels have passed by the time I take a pot down. The blinds are 60/120 and we have 7 players at the table. I am on the button with pocket kings. UTG+1 and CO limp in. I decide to raise it up to 720. The BB is the only one to call me. We are going to the flop heads up.

The flop comes :2s4: :10c4: :7c4:

Villain checks to me and I bet 720. Villain quickly folds and I take the pot of 1,740 with my c-bet.

Play continues and I go back to playing patiently. I finally get a hand while on the button again. Everyone limps in up to the CO who folds. I decide to raise my KQs to 960. The BB decides to call and then UTG goes all in for 5,760. Action folds back around to me and I decide to make the call for my total stack of 3,280. BB folds and we are going to a showdown heads up!

Villain shows :kh4: :3h4: vs Hero :kd4: :qd4:

I like my odds here! I am about a 70% favorite to win...

The board runs out :ac4: :10h4: :8c4: :4h4: :2h4:

Villain takes the pot of 8,080 with a back door flush! I shake my head and click on re-buy and take another shot. I am now in for two buy ins. Lets see if I can turn things around.

Back to sitting around clicking on fold. There are a couple hands where I manage to steal some blinds but by the time I get some action my chip stack is below the starting amount. Blinds are 150/300 and I am sitting in the CO with KQo. UTG min raises to 600 and UTG+1 calls. UTG+2 3 bets to 1,500 and action folds to me. I know there has to be an ace out there but I decide to go all in for 2,650. BB also goes all in with 7,260 and then UTG goes all in with 11,309. UTG+2 has us all covered and makes the call. What did I get myself into? We are going 4 ways to a showdown.

Villain 1 :ac4: :10d4: vs Villain 2 :kh4: :qs4: vs Villain 3 :ah4: :jh4: vs Hero :ks4: :qd4:

The board runs out :2d4: :4c4: :6d4: :10c4: :5c4:

V1 wins the main pot with a pair and V3 wins the side pots with ace high... I should have folded that. I fire off another shot and I am now playing on my third re-buy.

A short while later I get another hand worth playing. I am UTG+2 with KQo. Blinds are 150/300. Action folds to me and I am first to raise. I decide to make it 1,200 to go. It gets to the SB who goes all in for 5,700, I call.

Villain shows :ad4: :jh4: vs Hero :kd4: :qc4:

The board runs out :6s4: :qs4: :8h4: :5c4: :ks4:

We win a decent sized pot! Our two pair win the pot of 6,300. Hopefully we can keep this momentum going to get into the money.

Waiting patiently for another hand I find myself in the BB with Q3o. Blinds are 250/500 with 50 ante and we are 7 handed. UTG+1, Button, and SB limp in, I of course check hoping to hit bingo poker! (pot is 2,000)

The flop comes :5s4: :qh4: :qs4:

V1 and I check. V2 decides to take control of the pot and bets 1,457. Action folds to me and I only have 3,500 left in chips, I decide to go all in. V2 calls me and we are going to show down head up!

Villain shows :7d4: :5d4: vs Hero :qc4: :3d4:

I am not really sure what Villain is hoping to catch here... No flush draw, no straight draw. They must think I am bluffing?

The rest of the board runs out :6c4: :3s4:

I get a full house on the river to ensure my win of the pot! I win 9,350 and think to myself, this is why you raise pre-flop to get rid of hands like mine.

The very next hand while in the SB I get pocket 10. Blinds are 250/500 with 50 ante. UTG, UTG+1, HJ, and button limp in. I raise it to 2,000 (7,300 left). BB and HJ fold. UTG, UTG+1, and Button all call me. We are going 4 ways to the flop. (pot 9,400)

Flop comes :ad4: :6h4: :10d4:

I couldn't ask for a better flop! I make a c-bet of 2,000. V1 and V2 fold to my bet. V3 goes all in for 4,225. I make the call.

Villain shows :ah4: :9s4: vs Hero :10h4: :10c4:

Wow! Pre-flop I am a 70% favorite to win and with this flop I am now a 98% favorite to win! Could I ask for anything more?

The rest of the board runs out :7d4: :8d4:

I am left speechless. Villain comes back to hit a runner runner double gut shot straight? I am left with 3,075. This is still enough for me to make a move if I need to make a move.

In the next blind level I get a hand while I am in the CO. Blinds are 300/600 with 60 ante. The UTG+1 player limps in and action folds around to me. I go all in with pocket 7 for 2,955. The button calls me and everyone else folds. We are going heads up to a showdown... I have a gut feeling that I might need some help.

Villain shows :ad4: :8s4: vs Hero :7s4: :7d4:

The board runs out :7c4: :4c4: :jd4: :qh4: :kd4:

I get redemption with this set of 7! My W takes down the pot of 7,890. This is just what I need to make a deep run.

The antes are slowly eating at my chip stack. I wait patiently for a hand that is worth playing. Finally I get a hand while I am on the button. Blinds are 400/800 with 80 ante. UTG+2 limps in and action gets to me. I raise it up to 2,400 and UTG+2 calls. (pot 6,640)

The flop comes :5h4: :9s4: :5s4:

Villain checks. I start to think more critically about villains range. I don't think villain has connected with the board. A flop like this is most likely to miss. I check behind and we see the turn.

The turn is :6c4:

Villain checks again. Now I am pretty sure that villain missed and is playing to passively. Villain has me covered and could easily bet to get me out of the pot. I decide to take a shot at the pot and go all in for 3,810. Villain calls me... Is this a trap?!?!?

Villain shows :8d4: :5d4: vs Hero :ad4: :10h4:

It is a trap! I am drawing dead as the river gets peeled off. Villain takes the pot of 14,260 and I am now in for my 4th buy in.

By now the blinds are starting to get pretty expensive. When I finally get a hand to play, a raise of 3xBB is practically my entire stack. Blinds are 400/800 with 80 ante. I am the UTG+2 with AJo. I decide to go all in. I get called by the HJ and then SB goes all in for 6,050, HJ calls again. 3 ways to a showdown.

Villain 1 :kh4: :js4: vs Villain :2h4: :2s4: vs Hero :as4: :jh4:

The board runs out :qc4: :4s4: :3h4: :5c4: :7s4:

No help from the board and I go bust again. I guess today is not my day. I finally bust out in 56th place. Maybe next time I can get to the money.

Attachments

• TwoPairWin.jpg
    TwoPairWin.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 8
  • setof7.jpg
    setof7.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Setof10.jpg
    Setof10.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 7
  • QueensFullof3.jpg
    QueensFullof3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 8
  • KingQueensuited.jpg
    KingQueensuited.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 8
C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #7

The most important thing that I have learned about tournaments is that you will see some crazy hands and you will not be able to win them all. Tournaments take a lot of patience and skill to make a deep run. The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I have been playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

Today's hand review comes from 1,500 guaranteed crypto tokens (~$33.00) no re-buy no add-on tournament. The blind levels are 5 minutes long and a total of 83 players registered for this tournament.

In the early blind levels I test the water a little to see if I can get a hand to go through. I find the play here a little less aggressive than most tournaments that I have played in on the site. I soon learn that the aggressiveness seems to only be turned down in the early blind levels. While I am in the SB I get dealt pocket A. Blinds are 40/80 and in this hand we are playing 6 handed. The action folds around to the button who decides to raise to 320. I put in the 3 bet and make it 1,040 to go. Both the BB and button call and we are going 3 ways to the flop. (Pot 3,120)

Flop comes :8c4: :9c4: :5s4:

Taking into consideration the positions that villains are in... I think this will not always hit a large portion of the ranges that are calling 3 bets. I decide to bet 1,200. V1 calls and then V2 decides to raise to 3,640. I think about this for a little while before deciding to make the shove and go all in for 3,880 total. V1 has both us covered and calls. We are going to a showdown.

V1 :ks4: :kd4: vs V2 :8h4: :8d4: vs Hero :as4: :ah4:

The rest of the board runs out :6h4: :5d4:

My chip stack is devastated! Knowing that there are a total of 6 maybe 7 combos that could hit this flop... I wonder if this is the best call to make in this situation? I still manage to win a side pot of 480. I am officially in survival mode.

A short while later I get dealt a hand while I am in the HJ seat. Blinds are 40/80. Action folds around to me and I think to myself this is probably the best opportunity I am going to get for now. I go all in for 480 with AJo. BB is the only player to call me and we are heads up to a showdown.

Villains shows :ac4: :4s4: vs Hero :as4: :jd4:

The board runs out :2s4: :10c4: :9h4: :10d4: :3c4:

I double up with a pair and AJ kicker! The pot is a total of 1,000. Another hand like that and I will be in better shape.

After a little while of waiting for a hand I find myself in the BB with 64o. Blinds are 60/120. UTG, UTG+2, CO and SB all limp in. I check and we are going 5 ways to a flop. (Pot 600)

Flop comes :ac4: :6c4: :5h4:

Everyone checks... Seem like maybe this board missed everyone else?

The turn is :as4:

Again everyone checks... Is there an ace out there trying to trap? What benefit is there to slow playing if there is?

The river is :10d4:

SB automatically folds, must not have a hand good enough for a showdown. I decide to go all in with 880, I think everyone missed the flop and this is my best chance to take the pot. As I watch to see what happens, it turns out my instinct was correct. Everyone folds and I take down the pot of 600.

We finally get to a blind level where there are antes and they are starting to eat at my small chip stack. Blinds are 200/400 with 40 ante. UTG+1, button, and SB limp in. I am in the BB looking at K8s. I can't hit a straight with this hand but on the flip side the blind already cost me about half my chip stack. I decide to go all in for 930. Everyone calls and we are going to see a flop 4 way. (Pot 4,040)

Flop comes :7d4: :ad4: :js4:

V1 checks. V2 bets 2,693 forcing everyone else to fold. I am pretty sure I am behind and I am going to need runner runner spades to hit my backdoor flush.

Villain shows :ac4: :7c4: vs Hero :ks4: :8s4:

The rest of the board runs out :5c4: :4h4:

Unfortunately I was never able to come back from that loss early on in the tournament and I get eliminated in 38th place. Next time I will make the money.

Attachments

• pocketAces.jpg
    pocketAces.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 5
  • AJkicker.jpg
    AJkicker.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BBspecialpair.jpg
    BBspecialpair.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 5
C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #8

Today I have a couple interesting hands. One of them shows how building a pot can benefit you and the other is a good old fashioned all-in shove. The purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and to analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I have been playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or send me a PM.

The tournament that I played in for today's post has a 2,000 guaranteed crypto token (~$55.00) prize pool. Blind levels are 5 minutes long and a total of 122 players registered for the tournament.

My first hand came pretty early in the tournament. I am in the HJ with AKo. Blinds are 20/40. The UTG+2 player limps in and I raise it up to 160. The button and UTG+2 call. We are going to see the flop 3 ways.

The flop comes :10h4: :5h4: :kc4:

V1 checks... I think about what I should do and decide to make a c-bet of 160. Both players call me.

The turn is :8h4:

V1 checks again. I wonder if I should check but decide to fire off another bet for 240. This time only V2 calls. Does V2 have middle pair? Kicker problems? A draw?

The river is :3c4:

A card that should be a total brick. I don't think our opponent had two hearts. If they have Kx then its best for me to put in a bet to maximize my value. I put in another bet of 240 hoping to get called. Instead V2 folds the hand and I take down the pot of 1,500 with no competition!

After this hand my chip stack fluctuates a little. I manage to steal some blinds in certain spots and fold my hands in other spots when I know I am beat. I am the UTG+1 player with pocket Q. Blinds are 50/100. The UTG player limps in and I raise it to 400. Action folds around to the button who goes all in for 1,790. UTG player folds and I call. Villain has me covered by about 40 chips.

Villain shows :ad4: :kc4: vs Hero :qh4: :qd4:

The board runs out :2c4: :5h4: :kd4: :5c4: :6c4:

Villain got the king in the window! I decide against a re-buy and bust out for good in 50th. Next time I will make the money.

Attachments

• AKcbet.jpg
    AKcbet.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 11
  • pocketQbust.jpg
    pocketQbust.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 8
C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventures #9

I think fighting for a pot is good but sometimes you need to fold. Sometimes when you should fold your hand is so good that you can't let it go. What are some of the things that you look for as indicators that you are in a position that you should keep fighting against an aggressor? What indicators are you looking for to let you know that you need to let the hand go? The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I have been playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or send me a PM.

The tournament that our hands come from today are one of three daily free roll tournaments that are available. This one I played has a guaranteed prize pool of 50 crypto tokens (~$1.50 U.S. Dollars). The blind levels are 5 minutes and a total of 232 players registered for this event.

Usually you don't need to play the first few hands unless you get a monster. About half the field will be eliminated right away because the tournament is a free roll. By the time I get to play, I am UTG with pocket K. The blinds are 60/120 and I decide to raise it up to 480. I get called by the HJ player and we are going heads up to the flop. (Pot 1,140)

The flop comes :js4: :10s4: :2c4:

Hmmm... flush draw, straight draw, sets, two pair, top pair, pocket pair, middle pair are all within villains range here. I decide to make a continuation bet for 360, about 1/3 pot. Villain insta-calls. (Pot 1,860)

Turn is :jc4:

Another flush draw is there. Its less likely that there is a set after the board pairs up and why wouldn't villain 3 bet pre-flop? I don't like how quickly villain called me on the flop but I decide to fire off another bet for 720. Villain thinks a little longer this time but makes the call. (Pot 3,300)

River is :3c4:

I decide to fire off another bet here for my entire stack of 1,240. I don't think villain has a hand and they muck! I take down this pot of 3,300 with no competition on the river.

A short while later while in the SB I get dealt AQo. Blinds are 80/160. The UTG+2 player raises to 480. Action folds around to me and I decide to 3 bet to 880. BB folds and instead of calling, villain 4 bets to 1,280. After giving it some thought I make the call of ~400 to see the flop. (Pot 2,720)

Flop comes :2c4: :js4: :4h4:

My hand misses on this board and since villain has shown aggression, I decide to check and see what they do. Villain makes a bet of 1,120, about half pot. What is villain betting for here? I decide to let this hand go and wait for a better spot to play.

A short while later while in the BB I get K7o. Blinds are 100/200. UTG min raises to 400 and gets called by UTG+2 and I. I know this is a pretty loos call but I decide to defend my BB as we go 3 ways to the flop. (Pot 1,300)

Flop comes :ac4: :7d4: :as4:

Everyone checks... does this mean that there is no ace out there?

Turn is :7c4:

I can't let this get checked around again. I just turned a full house! I decide to make a bet for 200. Villain 1 calls and then Villain 2 raises to 1,400. Both V1 and I make the call. I wonder if I should have re-raise instead. (Pot 5,500)

River is :jd4:

I decide to pull the trigger here. I have to be good, right? I go all in for 1,300. V1 goes all in and V2 calls. Maybe I am not good?

V1 shows :ad4: :jh4: to take the pot and eliminate me from the tournament. I make it into 56th place. Next time I will make the money.

Attachments

• PocketKcbet.jpg
    PocketKcbet.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 9
  • AQflopmuck.jpg
    AQflopmuck.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Fullhouseallinbust.jpg
    Fullhouseallinbust.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I have lots of up and downs. In this tournament I took multiple re-buys to try and make the money. What goes into your decision making when you re-buy? Do you have any minimum requirements to pull the trigger and take another shot? The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I have been playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or send me a PM.

Today's hand history comes from a "Beginners" tournament that has 300 crypto tokens guaranteed (~$5.00). I put the word beginners in quotes because I don't really know what qualifies as a beginner. I am able to buy in and would not consider myself a beginner. Each buy in gives you 3,000 in chips. The blinds are 5 minutes long and there a total of 105 registered players.

As the tournament starts the hands are pretty standard. I am just sitting there folding until I get hand. A few levels have passed by the time I take a pot down. The blinds are 60/120 and we have 7 players at the table. I am on the button with pocket kings. UTG+1 and CO limp in. I decide to raise it up to 720. The BB is the only one to call me. We are going to the flop heads up.

The flop comes :2s4: :10c4: :7c4:

Villain checks to me and I bet 720. Villain quickly folds and I take the pot of 1,740 with my c-bet.

Play continues and I go back to playing patiently. I finally get a hand while on the button again. Everyone limps in up to the CO who folds. I decide to raise my KQs to 960. The BB decides to call and then UTG goes all in for 5,760. Action folds back around to me and I decide to make the call for my total stack of 3,280. BB folds and we are going to a showdown heads up!

Villain shows :kh4: :3h4: vs Hero :kd4: :qd4:

I like my odds here! I am about a 70% favorite to win...

The board runs out :ac4: :10h4: :8c4: :4h4: :2h4:

Villain takes the pot of 8,080 with a back door flush! I shake my head and click on re-buy and take another shot. I am now in for two buy ins. Lets see if I can turn things around.

Back to sitting around clicking on fold. There are a couple hands where I manage to steal some blinds but by the time I get some action my chip stack is below the starting amount. Blinds are 150/300 and I am sitting in the CO with KQo. UTG min raises to 600 and UTG+1 calls. UTG+2 3 bets to 1,500 and action folds to me. I know there has to be an ace out there but I decide to go all in for 2,650. BB also goes all in with 7,260 and then UTG goes all in with 11,309. UTG+2 has us all covered and makes the call. What did I get myself into? We are going 4 ways to a showdown.

Villain 1 :ac4: :10d4: vs Villain 2 :kh4: :qs4: vs Villain 3 :ah4: :jh4: vs Hero :ks4: :qd4:

The board runs out :2d4: :4c4: :6d4: :10c4: :5c4:

V1 wins the main pot with a pair and V3 wins the side pots with ace high... I should have folded that. I fire off another shot and I am now playing on my third re-buy.

A short while later I get another hand worth playing. I am UTG+2 with KQo. Blinds are 150/300. Action folds to me and I am first to raise. I decide to make it 1,200 to go. It gets to the SB who goes all in for 5,700, I call.

Villain shows :ad4: :jh4: vs Hero :kd4: :qc4:

The board runs out :6s4: :qs4: :8h4: :5c4: :ks4:

We win a decent sized pot! Our two pair win the pot of 6,300. Hopefully we can keep this momentum going to get into the money.

Waiting patiently for another hand I find myself in the BB with Q3o. Blinds are 250/500 with 50 ante and we are 7 handed. UTG+1, Button, and SB limp in, I of course check hoping to hit bingo poker! (pot is 2,000)

The flop comes :5s4: :qh4: :qs4:

V1 and I check. V2 decides to take control of the pot and bets 1,457. Action folds to me and I only have 3,500 left in chips, I decide to go all in. V2 calls me and we are going to show down head up!

Villain shows :7d4: :5d4: vs Hero :qc4: :3d4:

I am not really sure what Villain is hoping to catch here... No flush draw, no straight draw. They must think I am bluffing?

The rest of the board runs out :6c4: :3s4:

I get a full house on the river to ensure my win of the pot! I win 9,350 and think to myself, this is why you raise pre-flop to get rid of hands like mine.

The very next hand while in the SB I get pocket 10. Blinds are 250/500 with 50 ante. UTG, UTG+1, HJ, and button limp in. I raise it to 2,000 (7,300 left). BB and HJ fold. UTG, UTG+1, and Button all call me. We are going 4 ways to the flop. (pot 9,400)

Flop comes :ad4: :6h4: :10d4:

I couldn't ask for a better flop! I make a c-bet of 2,000. V1 and V2 fold to my bet. V3 goes all in for 4,225. I make the call.

Villain shows :ah4: :9s4: vs Hero :10h4: :10c4:

Wow! Pre-flop I am a 70% favorite to win and with this flop I am now a 98% favorite to win! Could I ask for anything more?

The rest of the board runs out :7d4: :8d4:

I am left speechless. Villain comes back to hit a runner runner double gut shot straight? I am left with 3,075. This is still enough for me to make a move if I need to make a move.

In the next blind level I get a hand while I am in the CO. Blinds are 300/600 with 60 ante. The UTG+1 player limps in and action folds around to me. I go all in with pocket 7 for 2,955. The button calls me and everyone else folds. We are going heads up to a showdown... I have a gut feeling that I might need some help.

Villain shows :ad4: :8s4: vs Hero :7s4: :7d4:

The board runs out :7c4: :4c4: :jd4: :qh4: :kd4:

I get redemption with this set of 7! My W takes down the pot of 7,890. This is just what I need to make a deep run.

The antes are slowly eating at my chip stack. I wait patiently for a hand that is worth playing. Finally I get a hand while I am on the button. Blinds are 400/800 with 80 ante. UTG+2 limps in and action gets to me. I raise it up to 2,400 and UTG+2 calls. (pot 6,640)

The flop comes :5h4: :9s4: :5s4:

Villain checks. I start to think more critically about villains range. I don't think villain has connected with the board. A flop like this is most likely to miss. I check behind and we see the turn.

The turn is :6c4:

Villain checks again. Now I am pretty sure that villain missed and is playing to passively. Villain has me covered and could easily bet to get me out of the pot. I decide to take a shot at the pot and go all in for 3,810. Villain calls me... Is this a trap?!?!?

Villain shows :8d4: :5d4: vs Hero :ad4: :10h4:

It is a trap! I am drawing dead as the river gets peeled off. Villain takes the pot of 14,260 and I am now in for my 4th buy in.

By now the blinds are starting to get pretty expensive. When I finally get a hand to play, a raise of 3xBB is practically my entire stack. Blinds are 400/800 with 80 ante. I am the UTG+2 with AJo. I decide to go all in. I get called by the HJ and then SB goes all in for 6,050, HJ calls again. 3 ways to a showdown.

Villain 1 :kh4: :js4: vs Villain :2h4: :2s4: vs Hero :as4: :jh4:

The board runs out :qc4: :4s4: :3h4: :5c4: :7s4:

No help from the board and I go bust again. I guess today is not my day. I finally bust out in 56th place. Maybe next time I can get to the money.

Thank U 4 Posting.

Rebuys are good if you have a skill advantage and when you rebuy you get a playable stack size. Your third rebuy was for 10BB and from what I have read from your posts you do not have enough of an advantage over the field to make that rebuy profitable.

You should consider at this point in your learning curve only rebuying at 30BB or more.

It seemed to me that you may have adjusted your play because you could rebuy. We need to be ranging our villains and making our calls based on that, not on the rebuy.

In the KK hand we need to accumulate chips and have a rebuy possibility so betting to Dracula the big blinds stack is better than using Thor's Hammer.
We can 1/3 pot bet, even check hoping villain hits a Q or J or gets a draw on the turn. that is how you use rebuy tournaments, take more slow play chances knowing you can buy back in.

Hope this helps

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuys are good if you have a skill advantage and when you rebuy you get a playable stack size. Your third rebuy was for 10BB and from what I have read from your posts you do not have enough of an advantage over the field to make that rebuy profitable.

You should consider at this point in your learning curve only rebuying at 30BB or more.

Thanks for the tip. I don't usually make a re-buy online just because the blind levels usually make it not worth the starting stack. When I do make a re-buy I will make my decision based on how far I think I can make it and if the minimum payout will be profitable. More often than not I am making it past the re-buy time.

In the KK hand we need to accumulate chips and have a rebuy possibility so betting to Dracula the big blinds stack is better than using Thor's Hammer.
We can 1/3 pot bet, even check hoping villain hits a Q or J or gets a draw on the turn. that is how you use rebuy tournaments, take more slow play chances knowing you can buy back in.

I am little confused. Are you talking about the first hand where villain rivers a flush?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the tip. I don't usually make a re-buy online just because the blind levels usually make it not worth the starting stack. When I do make a re-buy I will make my decision based on how far I think I can make it and if the minimum payout will be profitable. More often than not I am making it past the re-buy time.

I am little confused. Are you talking about the first hand where villain rivers a flush?
Thank U 4 Responding.

Sorry for the confusion.

The first hand you list you raise to 720 with KK BB calls -you bet 720 on the flop- BB folds.

This is where we can use that rebuy option by stringing the BB along if we can. If we Check or min bet maybe the BB plays to the turn. If the BB makes something on the turn that is not an ace we are likely still a head and could get more chips. If we get runner runner dead or river 3 outed etc. we just rebuy.

We are gambling but in a strong spot and cannot be knocked out of tournament as we just rebuy. If the BB has say AQ or AJ or a low pair they might check check- check call or even lead a Q or J thinking we have AK and wanted folds preflop.

Hope this helps

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bizzy's Tournament Adventure #10

I have talked to a lot of players that have always stated how much they dislike playing short handed. I personally think its a skill that always needs practice. The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and to analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I have been playing on, feel free to leave a comment or send me a PM.

The tournament that our hand history comes from is a promotional tournament. Anyone can buy in but for those that qualify they will receive tickets to join the tournament for free. The tournament has a 500 crypto token (~$12.00 U.S. dollars) guaranteed prize pool. The blind levels are 5 minutes long and only 12 players registered for this tournament. This means that from the beginning we were split up as much as possible during the late registration period.

Early on I lose a couple of hands where I decided to put in a bet on the river after we checked it all the way. Unfortunately in each situation the villain just would not bet their hand and was waiting for someone else to bet. Maybe if I had made a bigger bet they would have folded.

Soon I realize that the table I am at is pretty tight. Players are folding every hand and BB are walking. So on my next SB I decide to put in a min raise to see what happens. The BB folds... So I decide to test my theory on the next hand while I am on the button. I put in another min raise and both the blinds fold! I keep doing this for a while and eventually decide to test how far I can push my luck.

On this hand the blinds are 40/80 and we are playing 5 handed. Action folds to me and I put in a raise in the CO for 160 with QTo. BB calls me and we are going to see a flop heads up. (Pot 360)

Flop comes :4c4: :kd4: :as4:

We both check... Not a horrible flop for me.

Turn is :ac4:

Villain checks again. I am still not sure where I am in the hand, so I decide to put in a bet of 80 to see if villain will raise me. They call me. (Pot 520)

River is :ad4:

Villain checks again. I am pretty sure that villain is weak here and I have over cards but maybe there could be a pair of 4? I think about firing off another bet but because I am not sure if I am good or not I decide to check back since I will see villains hole cards either way.

Villain shows :2c4: :2d4:

I was partially right! Villain was weak and probably not sure if they were good with pocket deuces.

I go back to stealing blinds until I get some action from a player. The blinds are 60/120 and we are still playing 5 handed. I am in the BB with K7s when the button makes it 240 to see the flop. I decide to defend the BB and we are heads up to the flop.

The flop comes :5c4: :7s4: :6h4:

I bet 120 and the villain folds. Thinking back on how this player has been, I think its likely that they had T9 or some kind of broadway card.

After a while it seems like this same player and I are the only ones playing. While I am the CO I dealt pocket 7. Blinds are 60/120 and we are still playing 5 handed. I raise it to 360 and the BB calls.

Flop comes :ac4: :3h4: :jc4:

Villain checks but I decide to bet 240. I figure if our opponent has the ace and is looking to trap me then they will get this bet from me and I will evaluate on the turn. Villain ends up folding and I win the pot of 780.

Action like this keeps happening. While the blinds are still 60/120 the UTG raises to 240. I am on the button and 3 bet to 600 with AKo, our villain folds. In another hand while the blinds are 80/160, I raise to 480 with AQo and everyone folds.

Action continues like this for a while until one of the players at my table decide they have a hand to play. Blinds are 100/200 with 20 ante and we are still 5 handed. I happen to have AKs and raise it to 600. BB calls and we are going to the flop heads up. (Pot 1,400)

Flop comes :qd4: :ac4: :6c4:

Villain goes all in for 2,700... I wonder if they have AQ for a second but decide to call them off and find out.

Villain shows :qh4: :9c4: vs Hero :ah4: :kh4:

The rest of the board runs out :ks4: :3h4:

I win the pot of 6,800! A part of me wonders if this player was fed up with me stealing blinds and just tried to make a stand.

Eventually the strategy of folding catches up to one of the players. They are forced to go all in for 20 while they are the BB. They don't even have a fill ante. The blinds are 150/300 with 30 ante and we are playing 4 handed. When the action gets to me I think about what SB will do and I don't even care that I have 26o. I figure if the SB folds I stand the chance to win more than what the BB can win. I decide to raise it to 600 and the SB folds!

Villain shows :qd4: :5h4: vs Hero :2d4: :6s4:

The board runs out :qs4: :6h4: :4s4: :10c4: :6c4:

I river the 6 for trips! Winning a total of 410 and knocking out another player. At this point I start to wonder what will happen if we get down to 3 players.

We go back to the same. Making raises and stealing blinds. The action is pretty tight and I am literally building my chip stack from the stolen blinds. Once we get to the final table after the break some chips start to shuffle around. At one point I lose a large bet which leaves me with less than 10 BB.

As I am sitting there waiting for a hand I finally get one while I am in the SB with pocket J. The blinds are 600/1,200 with 120 ante. Action folds around to me and I raise to 3,600. The BB calls and we are going to the flop heads up. (Pot 7,800)

Flop comes :6c4: :6h4: :kd4:

I decide to go all in for 4,860 and villain calls me. Maybe that wasn't the best idea...

Villain shows :ks4: :8s4: vs Hero :js4: :jh4:

I need a Jack if I want to win this.

The rest of the board runs out :10h4: :as4:

I lose the pot of 17,520 and bust out in 5th place. It was fun. Next time I will make the money.

Attachments

• lostpocket2.jpg
    lostpocket2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6
  • pocker7takedown.jpg
    pocker7takedown.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 6
  • tripsixes.jpg
    tripsixes.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 5thplacejacks.jpg
    5thplacejacks.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 6
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think fighting for a pot is good but sometimes you need to fold. Sometimes when you should fold your hand is so good that you can't let it go. What are some of the things that you look for as indicators that you are in a position that you should keep fighting against an aggressor? What indicators are you looking for to let you know that you need to let the hand go? The main purpose of this post is to have a healthy discussion about strategy and analyze my play. If anyone has any questions about the site I have been playing on, please feel free to leave a comment or send me a PM.

The tournament that our hands come from today are one of three daily free roll tournaments that are available. This one I played has a guaranteed prize pool of 50 crypto tokens (~$1.50 U.S. Dollars). The blind levels are 5 minutes and a total of 232 players registered for this event.

Usually you don't need to play the first few hands unless you get a monster. About half the field will be eliminated right away because the tournament is a free roll. By the time I get to play, I am UTG with pocket K. The blinds are 60/120 and I decide to raise it up to 480. I get called by the HJ player and we are going heads up to the flop. (Pot 1,140)

The flop comes :js4: :10s4: :2c4:

Hmmm... flush draw, straight draw, sets, two pair, top pair, pocket pair, middle pair are all within villains range here. I decide to make a continuation bet for 360, about 1/3 pot. Villain insta-calls. (Pot 1,860)

Turn is :jc4:

Another flush draw is there. Its less likely that there is a set after the board pairs up and why wouldn't villain 3 bet pre-flop? I don't like how quickly villain called me on the flop but I decide to fire off another bet for 720. Villain thinks a little longer this time but makes the call. (Pot 3,300)

River is :3c4:

I decide to fire off another bet here for my entire stack of 1,240. I don't think villain has a hand and they muck! I take down this pot of 3,300 with no competition on the river.

A short while later while in the SB I get dealt AQo. Blinds are 80/160. The UTG+2 player raises to 480. Action folds around to me and I decide to 3 bet to 880. BB folds and instead of calling, villain 4 bets to 1,280. After giving it some thought I make the call of ~400 to see the flop. (Pot 2,720)

Flop comes :2c4: :js4: :4h4:

My hand misses on this board and since villain has shown aggression, I decide to check and see what they do. Villain makes a bet of 1,120, about half pot. What is villain betting for here? I decide to let this hand go and wait for a better spot to play.

A short while later while in the BB I get K7o. Blinds are 100/200. UTG min raises to 400 and gets called by UTG+2 and I. I know this is a pretty loos call but I decide to defend my BB as we go 3 ways to the flop. (Pot 1,300)

Flop comes :ac4: :7d4: :as4:

Everyone checks... does this mean that there is no ace out there?

Turn is :7c4:

I can't let this get checked around again. I just turned a full house! I decide to make a bet for 200. Villain 1 calls and then Villain 2 raises to 1,400. Both V1 and I make the call. I wonder if I should have re-raise instead. (Pot 5,500)

River is :jd4:

I decide to pull the trigger here. I have to be good, right? I go all in for 1,300. V1 goes all in and V2 calls. Maybe I am not good?

V1 shows :ad4: :jh4: to take the pot and eliminate me from the tournament. I make it into 56th place. Next time I will make the money.

Thank U 4 Posting.

Ok let us talk about the KK hand which is the first hand. Do you have the K of spades?

We raise 4x from UTG and HJ calls. What might the HJ range be?

We bet flop 1/3 pot and get insta called. What is the range know?

If we assume flush draws are in this range what should our bet sizing be?
If flush draws need 3-1 pot odds to call, our bet gives them pot 1860 when they call 360 or 5-1. We win by making our villains make a mistake so our bet here is too small.

Also if our villain does have a flush draw as played we cannot really shove turn as it would be 2 big a shove to get value from worse. If we on the other hand bet larger on the flop we can shove turn protecting our KK when they fold or getting full value for it when they call the draw or a weaker made hand.

So flop bet 500 no draws fold. Pot on turn is now 2140 you have stack 2800 -500-420=1980 shove on the turn.

As played you should check river and hope for a bluff. We are trying to maximize our chips. Nothing that missed calls our river bet-made hands bet often thinking we had AK of spades ( I did ask if the K of spades is in your hand) and if villain has us beat it does not matter. Also if we check the river some players will bluff the JJ then- thinking you are afraid they slow played it.

Keep working on your game. You are doing great. Try thinking in terms of hand ranges and how each action changes those ranges.

By the way the reasons I say play this KK this way vs the last KK in your previous post, yes I am the same guy, are: No rebuy here: OOP out of position and the flop with J10x can have KQ draws as well as flush draws and AQ spades 3 outs to the ace + 2 outer gut shots to go with a flush draw as well as 98 spades straight draws with flush draw as well. Way more drawing combos to lose to.

Hope this helps