Bingo players got me...did I play this wrong?

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played my 2nd Cardschat freeroll on Thurs. and was surprised to see so many bingo players going all in with junk. After 5 mins. we had lost 5 players...5 mins more and 4 more were gone. I'm getting crap and folding until JJ arrives in the hijack. UTG 1 and 2 fold and #3 plays his last 220 in chips all in. I decide the bingo guys must mostly be gone and I can safely squeeze the remaining players out for a quick grab of UTG 3's chips with an all in. Wrong. Both blinds go all in. They all have junk. My jacks look fine with a 45Q flop. Then we get 36 and one of the crazies is holding a 7. I'm gone and wondering...what to do next time?

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If that was on Thursday, my recommendation is not to be surprised, that day the tournament is open for those who have more than 25 comments in the forum, therefore more players are registered than other days, you can see that in the other days there are more serious players (not all) but if more than Thursday, of course that does not mean that you are not going to lose with a bad beat or something like that, but I encourage you, it is your 2nd game, take it easy

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
oh I'm sorry, I thought you were a member of the club, well my comment does not change much, there are more players on Thursdays and many play all in all in, it's just like you say bingo and more bingo

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a lot of bingo in most of the freerolls for sure - but plug the hands into equilab or something and you'll see you're usually right here. You can tighten your shove range even further until the bingo players have busted out, or if you're ok with the prospect of a very short tournament, get your chips in with your JJ+ and hope to double/triple/quadruple up.

One thing I've found out to watch for is other players using the same strategy - you don't want to run your JJ into a guy hoping to pick off some bingo players with QQ+

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play too tight during a tournament and especially at the beginning while the blind have not yet increase is not a good idea. each player is unique and has his own style of play so try to identify yours and improve it to suit the table. The more you progress in a tournament, the more players will be hard to beat and experiment. to your last question. I just lost with a color to the ace on the flop against a K edge that my opponent has touched the river. It's the game you can have a good hand preflop or flop and lose anyway. variant will eventually turn and good luck for your next frerrolls.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played my 2nd Cardschat freeroll on Thurs. and was surprised to see so many bingo players going all in with junk. After 5 mins. we had lost 5 players...5 mins more and 4 more were gone. I'm getting crap and folding until JJ arrives in the hijack. UTG 1 and 2 fold and #3 plays his last 220 in chips all in. I decide the bingo guys must mostly be gone and I can safely squeeze the remaining players out for a quick grab of UTG 3's chips with an all in. Wrong. Both blinds go all in. They all have junk. My jacks look fine with a 45Q flop. Then we get 36 and one of the crazies is holding a 7. I'm gone and wondering...what to do next time?
Get used to it.I just finished third with my jj losses to A10 on the shove.So you for now play with a lot of bingo players because you are not a member so you need to tighten up,wait for your chance it will come.Or become bingo player yourself and depend on the draw.every advice from Mariale is also gold because he is one very tight player believe i played a lot against him.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
JJ isn't a great hand.. it's okay but very vulnerable to Ax, Kx, even Qx. Don't be surprised when this hand gets busted and think carefully before going all in with it preflop. Bingo players are everywhere and there is a lot more to it than just playing bingo.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
please .. can you explain what is a "bingo player"?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
please .. can you explain what is a "bingo player"?

like in bingo where random numbers are drawn to let someone win, it's a player that relies more on "luck" than on "skill" hope this helps

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
There are some players like that early on, but in late stages you will be surprised to see that 70% of CC regs are nits with stats like 9/7/2. It's common to see them get blinded out to 3 big blinds. In that sense CC freerolls are very unique.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have played the CC freeroll on ACR a total of 6 times. I have had some starting tables that were straight up Rocks... I have had some starting tables that I recognized most of the names from chatting here in the forums and the play was decent, little early metagame... I've also had multiple starting tables where the play was atrocious kind of like what you see at the start of the $10 On Demands.

However, the play gets better as the tournament goes on. Compared to other free rolls I have played it isn't even close when comparing CC free rolls to the others.

As far as your particular instance that you described goes, why would you want to anything different next time? You were able to get multiple players to commit their chips to the pot behind...... in my world that is winning poker.... Only issue I see is rather than jamming for a squeeze 4 or 5x does the same trick for a lot less chips, and doesn't look as bluffy.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing to wonder. A lot of ugly sheep play in this Freeroll. Within 25 minutes of the game gone 1500 participants. Play your game and don't pay attention to stupid actions of goats.

Do some of the CC games have 1500 participants?

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally try not to play Freeroll with more than 1000 players with a small prize pool. This is a waste of time. Have you ever wondered why they play like Bingo . In first they not vlazhivali in tournament money. Second long sit, spend time and wait a penny prize Fund no one wants. Everyone here has one idea - either I double or triple the stack and get a chance at a good place, or I leave and don't waste time in vain. With a good prize pool - it's a different game.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone....some great advice and lots of spot on comments. I intend to become a member....have very much enjoyed these forums. And, I'll do better in my next freeroll.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no right or wrong way to play bingo. While the odds charts still give your premium hand an advantage, that advantage shrinks with each additional player in the pot.