This is a discussion on The biggest difference in tournament poker and cash game is? within the online poker forums, in the Tournament Poker section; Hi, I used to play cashgame but recently my friends ask to play tournament poker. What is the difference between cash game and tournament and
(1) increasing blinds ó which affects strategy and forces you to make moves that you donít have that kind of pressure in cash games
(2) you donít get to choose tables ó so you need to learn to adapt
(3) because of (1) there are a lot more all-in moves especially as the blinds go up
(4) there is a bit of a shift in play the closer you get to the bubble ó a lot of people tend to tighten up closer you get to the bubble... not necessarily the smarter move, but it happens a lot... and once bubble bursts, more wildness ensues.
(5) you have to budget more time to play a tournament if you plan to do well ó microstakes tournaments can go as long as 6-8 hours. Or more. So endurance and staying mentally sharp over long periods becomes important
(6) mental game becomes important and being able to stay out of tilt during tournament is key if you want to do well
Iím sure Iím missing something. And by the way, Iím only talking about online poker. There are prob many more differences live but Iíve very rarely played live so I canít speak to that. Good luck!
August 6th, 2019, 3:38 PM
Join Date: Sep 2018
Poker at: Pokerstars
re: Poker & The biggest difference in tournament poker and cash game is?
use the search function, there are a few threads About it with some good Posts
August 14th, 2019, 3:07 PM
Join Date: Jul 2019
Originally Posted by Salteballe
Hi, I used to play cashgame but recently my friends ask to play tournament poker. What is the difference between cash game and tournament and what is tournament strategy
Some important distinctions between tournament and cash poker:
1. No taking your money off the table
2. Rising blinds
3. No buying back in
You cannot simply sit back and wait for a great opportunity, as you can in a cash game, because the blinds will eat you alive. You also must defend your blinds and attack the blinds of others more liberally, as you cannot afford to simply give blinds away, especially later in the tournament.