Big Blinds Slow Me Down

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing in MTT's I tend to be much more aggressive early in the tourneys when the blinds are smaller. Once the blinds hit 500 or larger I tend to hesitate much more and fold more often, which causes my chip stack to drop. When my stack drops to around 10 BB's I get desperate and usually go all in with any two decent cards and the big chip stacks tend to call me more often than not, due to my smaller stack size and most of the time I am out of the tournament at this point. Any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to do the 3,4 times the BB rule of betting. That way you almost force yourself to keep up with the blinds.
As with all advice, different times, different strategies. When I first started playing that was a big problem for me, when blinds went up.. I was timid in my playing.
I do sometimes revert back to limping in, and pay for it. lol

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

I try to do the 3,4 times the BB rule of betting. That way you almost force yourself to keep up with the blinds.
As with all advice, different times, different strategies. When I first started playing that was a big problem for me, when blinds went up.. I was timid in my playing.
I do sometimes revert back to limping in, and pay for it. lol
Thank you. That is a good rule to follow.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The strategy I use in tournaments is as follows, at the beginning with the blinds still with small value I use final positions paying little with the intention of seeing many flops with the intention of hitting, no bluff at the beginning, with this strategy I am trying to accumulate chips at first. As the blinds increase in value, we can use other bluff stealing strategies, always using a final position and respecting your opponents' raises. Poker is very interesting, we must pay attention to several details, I can write a lot about this subject because the knowledge is really very deep.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

The strategy I use in tournaments is as follows, at the beginning with the blinds still with small value I use final positions paying little with the intention of seeing many flops with the intention of hitting, no bluff at the beginning, with this strategy I am trying to accumulate chips at first. As the blinds increase in value, we can use other bluff stealing strategies, always using a final position and respecting your opponents' raises. Poker is very interesting, we must pay attention to several details, I can write a lot about this subject because the knowledge is really very deep.

Thank you. Great tips that should help me. Good luck at the tables.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why don't you try to play your aggressive game further, not only at the beginning of the tournament. I would do so. If you manage to increase your stack at the beginning of the tournament, then why do you play as a weak player in the future?

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting tips! in MTT I also try to play middle and senior hands as aggressively as possible, accumulating stacks, but sometimes problems arise in the later stages of the tournament

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why don't you try to play your aggressive game further, not only at the beginning of the tournament. I would do so. If you manage to increase your stack at the beginning of the tournament, then why do you play as a weak player in the future?
I get you. I'll take that under consideration next time I play. My main weakness is lack of patience.

Interesting tips! in MTT I also try to play middle and senior hands as aggressively as possible, accumulating stacks, but sometimes problems arise in the later stages of the tournament
Define middle and senior hands please.

Last edited by a moderator:
dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that hands such as AA, KK, QQ, AK, KQs, JTs, and some suited connectors can be considered strong and medium hands preflop

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing in MTT's I tend to be much more aggressive early in the tourneys when the blinds are smaller. Once the blinds hit 500 or larger I tend to hesitate much more and fold more often, which causes my chip stack to drop. When my stack drops to around 10 BB's I get desperate and usually go all in with any two decent cards and the big chip stacks tend to call me more often than not, due to my smaller stack size and most of the time I am out of the tournament at this point. Any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks

Hello, has anyone described my game and posted it here? It seems that I wrote it!

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

however, of course, you must understand that these hands are personally my opinion, and from game to game, there may be corrections, well, I have not so much experience ... the only thing, I’ll add, you should take into account your position, and the opponent’s, to assess, and this will help your experience, reading articles on this topic. I am just studying, I hope, someday I will be able to evaluate my answer from a professional point of view :)

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

however, of course, you must understand that these hands are personally my opinion, and from game to game, there may be corrections, well, I have not so much experience ... the only thing, I’ll add, you should take into account your position, and the opponent’s, to assess, and this will help your experience, reading articles on this topic. I am just studying, I hope, someday I will be able to evaluate my answer from a professional point of view :)

What I did yesterday instead of having my chip stack in dollars I switched it to big blinds. I noticed I was making calls that I might have not made if it was in dollars. I did much better in the tourney and was only knocked out because I chased a couple of draws and made a couple of bad calls. It was a free roll, but 27th place out of over 1,000 players is not bad in my opinion.