Big Blind Defence: Cardschat Hand History Video

L

LuckyLuke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Please find below a link to my first video for the site. I did not know it was live :p So hadn't posted a link!

As ever, please let me know what you think!

Best,

Lucky Luke

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm. Statistically the BB is when you lose the most money, so I don't know if I agree, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise. Interesting to watch though. I definitely could be wrong and I am never claiming to be an authority. I would like to see the concensus when the vote is in, seems like maybe this needs a note as to when this situation is most appropriate (eg. bubble play, early/mid/late, etc.) but maybe I missed that. I will watch it again.

Edit: Okay, I viewed it again and I see what you are saying. This is the case when you have decided you should defend your BB, perhaps because you notice that someone is stealing blinds. I do think the emphasis is on marginal hole cards and you mention it several times in the video. Perhaps the title should express Big Blind Defense with Marginal Holdings. But otherwise, on second viewing I liked it much better once I was understanding that was the focus.

Another Edit: I watched it again and I liked better again; but at one point you said, "We won't go into the mathematics because it's going to take us too long". In that case I would like a link to a further explanation for those of us who like math and do want to explore that. As you said, it is not the simplest of topics to start out with and at one point you did recognize that one point you made is debatable. I appreciate that you are recognizing this is a complex one. Would it be perhaps a good idea to maybe set a level of difficulty on the concepts you are covering? I now agree with you on many points that you made, but I think the scope of when you would use this is limited to a more specific set of circumstances. Perhaps there is a way of also denoting a general strategy from a situation specific strategy... I am just saying this in an effort to be constructive. I think it is a wonderful resource and I would like to see more.

Last edited:
Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot for the video, I watched it a fourth time, so it was definitely compelling.

Last thoughts (maybe): I may have been a bit too harsh on first viewing. When I was watching this the first time, I was wondering if a novice might take this as advice on how to approach every BB, but now I realize that it is in the novice's nature to look for rules they can apply to every situation, so they might take any video as absolute truth no matter what description is presented. So that is what I reacted to first, and I understand no matter how clear you make it, anything has the potential to be mis-interpreted. I do think there are some really good points brought up in this video and I am going to incorporate some of that thinking in my own game. Thanks again for the video.

Your final comments on what you would like to discuss in the next videos definitely interested me and I am now waiting for more.

Last edited:
L

LuckyLuke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Robochick and thanks for your posts. You bring up some great points.

Absolutely, it is a complex topic, and very situational. Bear in mind unlike my other videos this is a hand history video, not a theory video. Theory is great as we can apply it to a wide range of situations and in those vids we can go deeper into the maths, I'll certainly be doing that in an upcoming vid. In hand history videos my aim is to explore some concepts, some situations which arise but through specific hand examples with their own unique villain assumptions, stage of play, stack depth etc.

So as for the title you're right :) It could well have been titled big blind defence in marginal spots. But my aim overall was to hone in on a major tendency in the MTT scene, to defend big blind much wider in a wide variety of spots, and in fact as a general trend across all stages of play and stakes in MTTs, regulars and some recreationals are doing this a lot more than ever these days. But they aren't adjusting postflop enough to actually make this work with their marginal defends. So it was a sortof hand examples intro to postflop play in big blind defence, if you will.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks a lot for the video, I watched it a fourth time, so it was definitely compelling.

Last thoughts (maybe): I may have been a bit too harsh on first viewing. When I was watching this the first time, I was wondering if a novice might take this as advice on how to approach every BB, but now I realize that it is in the novice's nature to look for rules they can apply to every situation, so they might take any video as absolute truth no matter what description is presented. So that is what I reacted to first, and I understand no matter how clear you make it, anything has the potential to be mis-interpreted. I do think there are some really good points brought up in this video and I am going to incorporate some of that thinking in my own game. Thanks again for the video.

Your final comments on what you would like to discuss in the next videos definitely interested me and I am now waiting for more.

I know Luke would also be open to suggestions for future videos - strategy or hand situations you would be interested in him covering. :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands