Big Blind Ante and this years WSOP

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never played a tourney with a Big Blind Ante before but I see the wsop this year has brought in this format, pretty much for No limit Holdem events, including the Colossus which cardschat players are looking to conquer :) So I would like to hear from players about how this can change things. I can imagine that when you are really short stacked paying the BB and BB ante will be a double whammy so you may want to shove a little bit lighter than you would otherwise in the few hands before it hits. On the other hand, if you are really short stacked and make it to the button you don't have to pay anything for a few hands you might have a bit more wriggle room to sit and not feel like you have to go all in right away. Also I'm not sure how it works if you don't have enough to pay both the ante and BB? What happens? Finally if the table is short, say 4 or 5 players do you still have to put in the antes as if the table was full? Does this make for more aggressive play as there is more money in the pot with a short table than there would be the other way? Thanks! I'm a little panicked about this change as I have no experience whatsoever with the format.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will like it once you get used to it.

Your points about having a short stack are all correct - tough to pay deep in the game - but yes you also get a round without paying them at all. You will want to shove a bit lighter in this situation.

I think any chips are applied to the ante first if you don't have enough to pay both.

You pay it no matter how short your table is.

You will see a lot more action in the early levels as people feel more committed to their hands after paying both. And more money is going into the pot with the antes starting earlier.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great advice, thanks Debi! Ok I feel a little calmer now. :)

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sort of hated it in the first times, didn't really understand it.. but got used to it AND found that on a long run, it's profitable.. mostly when the blinds become high and you're short stacked in BB. As you said, you are good for a little while once you've reached the button. Also, it limit a bit the amount of agressions and players in all hands. You feel less guilty folding when you pay nothing then if you pay a ante..

It starts to be used in many places.. I know at Playground it's the ante used in most common NLHE tournaments.

Looking forward to see what it will change for the WSOP!

-TRP-

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering how much this will be used online. My understanding is that the motivation was the it greatly simplified and sped up live tournaments -- you don't have to pester the cuttoff that he keeps forgetting his ante. You don't have to keep track of who hasn't paid. The dealer doesn't have to make change, etc.

Obviously, it does have some effect on play style too, so it might become common online, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't either.

WSOP