Betting strategy for effective play

I

Izekat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you all think about unpredictable betting patterns and values to dissuade would be callers in a tourney setting?

I mean raising randomly (and random value) vs raising occasionally on strong hands? Also, would showing your random raises instill fear of irrational opponent in others so they wont challenge a bluff?

G

Gerb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you'll lose chips in the long run by randomly throwing them in the pot. And if you show, it means people won't believe you when you raise. Sure, you may have flopped 2 pair on the 9, 5, 2 flop and might get chips from pocket Q's, but against smart players you'll be giving chips away long term.

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also agree that against really good poker players you will be giving chips away long term! Good luck to you!

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I would recommend not to bluff.. I mean at all..semi bluffing with very strong draw is ok depending upon the number of opponents and your position...

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't miss that fact that if your bets would be unpredictable, answers of your opponents will be the same unpredictable. With such game you're create more problems to yourself.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think its a -EV approach and something that should be avoided in most situations. Wait til a better spot arises and go for it then.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way I see it, be predictable in betting patterns because the opponents are most likely to call since they want to see what hand you have.

Predictability actually could conceal the strength your hand thus if you have a good hand you are going to get paid off, if you are attempting to steal a pot you might catch them folding simply because you are showing how often you are representing a strong hand.

K

killroy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
over betting your hand will sometime bring on unwanted callers. a pot size bet is a big bet in any round pre-flop. in my opinion

A

alexandro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hard to predict a player like that. you never really know whats he holding.

W

WisdomMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it good to raise weaker hands but make it a very small amount of your hands, best feeling ever is when i end up hitting 2 pair or a dif strong hand and hes like thats not in his range he cant have any of that (call)
if my stats are saying really tight thats about the mabe only time i will do it because they think i have aj or better being such a nit , if it looks like im playing loss then it not good to raise with a weak hand because people like me pick that off and are willing to go with hands that are stronger i usually play lag but for a tag player they are banking on that for when they do have a good hand they get more action

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being aggressive is a good strategy but do not be surprised with a resuibida of some player more risky than you

vitorbonatto

vitorbonatto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my experience they all play for valor and you should do the same... semi bluffing post-flop depending upon the number of opponents and your position its nice too

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you want to be a competitive opponent you should raise not only with your strong hands/made hands but also with your draws. By that you won't be an easy to read villain and it will lead your opponents to make mistakes.

If you are asking to click randomly buttons in every street and trying to represent hands that you don't have I don't believe imho that in the long term this strategy will be a profitable one! Try to balance your play , I don't think that these ''risky'' moves are needed in order to make a decent run or even a win!

Of course in a tournament for instance there are spots you must apply pressure or even play not by the book in order to survive , but I said only some spots! Good luck :)

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you know how to allocate chips and make some tattoos, you can win

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As it is a poker we have to change our strategy to not be read by other players. Sometimes it may be pure bluff, or unpredictable betting. But it must serve the main goal -- to win.

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long run, making -ev decisions and hence randomly putting in money in effort to throw off opponents will effect you negatively. So i would advise against it

K

karkachi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages of the tournament I always try to play with high cards with AJ up, already in the final stages of the tournament I am evaluating my opponents if they are aggressive or not to put together an effective strategy

V

veruska A1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing the reason of our bets and when to play them is fundamental in poker. It is equally important to know how much we should bet once we have decided to play the hand.

Knowing the right time to bet is necessarily to know the reasons why we could do it. Very generally we have four reasons to bet:
- For value, to grow the boat and to take value to our stronger hands.
- To protect a strong hand, and to make sure that our opponents have to pay to continue in the hand or abandon it.
- Of lantern, to manage to take the boat with a weak hand forcing us to abandon better hands.
- For information on the strength of our opponent's hand.
If during the decision process we are not clear that the reason for making our bet clearly corresponds to one of these four reasons, it is very likely that we end up doing it when we do not and for the wrong reasons. On these occasions the best we can do is not bet.

R

Rodrigonog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is difficult to notice a player like that, you should study the player to know which hands this player plays, if he is a loose player it becomes dangerous for him to play any hand and you do not know what he has in his hand. Have to study the possibility and the player, it is essential

G

gspot89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best strategy is to adapt to the people your playing. U cant keep one strategy throughout because all peoples styles are different. Keeping one strategy is in the box thinking.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By my opinion, that is gambling. Poker should not be like that. That could work if you play with new players but if you play with players who have experience, you don't have a chance. Anyway, I wish you good luck

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars