Is Better to Late Register a Poker Tournament?

When is it better to register for a poker tournament?

• Register before the tournament starts

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Register when the late registration is about half over

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Register when there is 1 minute left in the late registration

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
P

PokerSki

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is better to late register a poker tournament or register when the tournament starts?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on your skill level, time available to play, patience, goal for the tourney( go deep & make some money or get in at the last minute get lucky & min cash), etc.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe no one is playing a tournament for the min cash [emoji848]

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dependent on buy-in time sacrifice..

If it is a buy in that matters, I prefer to register early, gear up mentally, for the long haul. If it's a freebie, might as well register late, freebies are so large, number and time commitment, may as well be desperate from the beginning, shoving a lot to stay on upper rungs of the leaderboard.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think not, because you lose many fish at the start of the tournament, who are willing to donate their chips.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to register before the start of the tournament, because at the beginning of the game there are more chances to increase your stack at the expense of other players.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer to sign up early than late. I would rather build up my stack smartly and slowly compared to signing up and have to go all in early and often because I have no chips to start with and need to gamble. I also believe my building up the stack earlier and having it once the late registration players join up give me a better chance to go deep and possibly win the tournament.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I agree that in the very early stages you will have more opportunities to stack off some weak opponents , on the other hand something that happens often to me is after a decent amount of hands and after understand how my opponents play the poker room switch me table which really sucks.

I don't like ACR/BCP 3 hours late registration but I feel that 2 hours which most of the rooms have for a regular speed tournament is fine. The last minute players have only one option - open jam -.

Personally I like registering when the antes come to play because the crazy players have been eliminated and the real poker begins.