Best successfull way to play 30min Timebombs?

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Howzit guys

I have been playing the pokerstars 30min time bombs and would like to know, has anyone been consistently successful in them? If you have, what approach has worked well for you? I have tried play tight throughout the game and end up being short stacked towards the end, I have also tried being aggressive as soon as the game starts in order to double up. However, I end up getting knocked out very early the majority of the time.

If you have a working strategy I would like to attempt it and see if i can also consistently finish successfully in these tournaments.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not push the first hands that's key, then play the hands necessary

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks brno22, will give it a try this week and see if my results have improved

sunirico

sunirico

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not push the first hands that's key, then play the hands necessary

What about AA, KK, AK dealt the first hands? What exactly are "hands necessary"? Could you elaborate please.

sunirico

sunirico

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These tournaments are really fun, quick and can be very lucrative when binked.

Aim of the game, stack as much as you can before the clock runs out. You earn a share of the price pool relative to the share of chips in play that is in your control when the time runs out.

They are fast! Not hyper turbo fast, it's your normal everyday 5 min per level turbo structure but unlike the usual you are dumped in at level 7 with a 1500 starting stack and blinds at 50/100 ante 10 lets go go go.

There are 15 min and 30 min variants, I prefer having more room granted by 30 mins and find the extra urgency imposed on by 15 mins on top of the rapidly rising blinds to be distracting. You also stand to win more of course with the additional time allocation and I have actually reached FT where the whole field got reduced to less than 9 contestants.

Bink well and you can easily ship 5 times, 15 times or even more times your buy-in for a single game. This is an important factor to keep in mind when considering a profitable strategy, the ROI from one good win can cushion several losses.

There are basically 2 things that can happen to you in these tournaments regardless of your strategy.

1. You bust out prematurely

Not ideal you earn $0 and your ROI is minus one buy-in. Try and avoid this at all costs.

2. You survive the period with stack

If you have less than starting stack you earn less than buy-in which still beats scenario 1. Ideally you want to end up with more than you started with but something is still better than nothing, right?

The strategy employed IMO is relative to how well we start, which again happens in one of two ways.

1. Big stack

As RISHLIN points out doubling up early is a good start, this at the very least grants you some degree of fold equity while you cover others at your table. Lapping up the large blinds is very lucrative. Risk is reduced, because should we be called and loose the hand we stil have some tournament live that remains. Pay attention as table seating changes and avoid getting involved with stacks that cover you otherwise if it folds down to you raise with A2C and keep the pressure on the shorter stacks. If you do get stacked you end up in the next scenario.

Bubble play the final 4 minutes can be very profitable but careful now and spot the scared money and nits vs the maniacs that might call. Loosing a large chunk of your well earned stack or busting completely at the end is the worst.

2. Short stack

Whether card dead from the onset or as a result of a beat when you're short you don't have much time. Your first orbit will cost you 240 in blinds and antes after 5 minutes the cost of hanging around increases to 480 per orbit, needless to say you don't have much time to remain passive before your stack completely dissolves.

It is easy to make rash decisions as panic sets in. The longer you wait the more equal stacks disappear replaced by those that dominate you. You quickly reach value to price in larger stacks to call your shoves with A2C so you can forget about getting anyone to fold. Miss a flip and you can kiss your buy-in good bye but the same destiny awaits you if u don't act at all. Panicking yet?

At some point you will have to take the dive, by choice or all in on the blinds or the antes. Once is not going to change much and ideally you would like to double up several times to reach big stack status or die trying. you hardly have a choice in the matter.

BRM considerations

I am the last person to consult on BRM requirements as I have not been able to harness this occult art in any respect but keeping track of your break even between wins and losses is a good start. Drop down stakes as fate dictates but don't hesitate to take a stab at a higher stake if you feel you're running hot. 1 buy-in for every 1500 chips gained so don't worry too much to nit up if your BR dictates that winning 4 buy-ins is better than none. Keep an eye on the upcoming BB and no shame in stalling as much as you're allowed. Binking one of these tournaments at a substantial buy-in though can easily put an end to any BRM concerns you had. So gl and break a... uhm... nail! =)

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks alot Suni, I have had some success today but also some very fast failures:(
so im still working with this issue.

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As you very well know Suni, my recent form in the time bombs can only be described as "epic fail" ! lol

I have decided to move on to the 180 men and 90 men sit and goes. They you find some very very "welcoming" players lol.

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope that you will be more succefull on these sit and go.
For the time bonb 30 min, i have played a lot of them, and have make some money, the key is to be tight agressive ( AA, KK , AK QQ ) on the first positions and medium tight agressive in position ( AQ, JJ AA ) .
It's true that you will be low staked at more than 50% of the tournaments , but you will be too with more 15 or 20 times you Buy in with just a small upswing : approximatevely 60 % of the field play very lossely so you will get on your move with premium hand 2 or 3 callers.

S

slickster37

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sound like fun..maybe i'll give a time bomb a try.
:cool:

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you have to reach big stack for big money in 30 min. So dnt play on every card but when you have a good hand be aggressive and try to double up

Ts0nga

Ts0nga

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everybody , im new in this community. i was reading the comments for the thread ,and i was wondering , is it just me or the 15min Timebomb is more preferable then the 30min and 60min ? When i looked up my results in the 15min vs the other two, i manage to do alot better in this time period. Does anyone else like to play 15min Timebombs , or its just me :D

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I play the 15 min games and have done ok, there is a lot of luck involved in the 15 min games because there are a lot of people willing to shove atc and suckouts occur, also because of the maniacs if you enter a pot be expected to either shove or call a shove, you can't make a 3x bb raise and then fold to a shove because if you do your stack will become a shove or fold stack real quick.

:top:

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice is one) do not play in these tournaments if you want to make money and not just fun time

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
my advice is one) do not play in these tournaments if you want to make money and not just fun time

This is just nonsense. I've been playing a few of these for my stake package and have found them fairly profitable. Sunirico layed it out perfectly on how to be successful. It's not just a bingo shove fest like most players believe. True, theres a fair amount of luck involved in flipping, but so much can be exploted that these games are easily beatable for a decent roi.

Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just nonsense. I've been playing a few of these for my stake package and have found them fairly profitable. Sunirico layed it out perfectly on how to be successful. It's not just a bingo shove fest like most players believe. True, theres a fair amount of luck involved in flipping, but so much can be exploted that these games are easily beatable for a decent roi.

My statistics on these events shows the opposite unfortunately.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Then stay away from them if they don't suit your style.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Must know when to exploit weaknessess using your position.

legudus

legudus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1- Play Tight Aggressive
2- Dont bluff
3- Play in position

When i keep this strategy, ITM comes.

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope that you will be more succefull on these sit and go.
For the time bonb 30 min, i have played a lot of them, and have make some money, the key is to be tight agressive ( AA, KK , AK QQ ) on the first positions and medium tight agressive in position ( AQ, JJ AA ) .
It's true that you will be low staked at more than 50% of the tournaments , but you will be too with more 15 or 20 times you Buy in with just a small upswing : approximatevely 60 % of the field play very lossely so you will get on your move with premium hand 2 or 3 callers.

Thanks Zar this helped, also made the game a little easy to place when i already new what to do, with those cards you mentioned, inadvance.

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1- Play Tight Aggressive
2- Dont Bluff
3- Play in position

When i keep this strategy, ITM comes.

I have tried this, however if i dont bluff at all and always play in position I tend to get short stacked very quickly and find myself playing any avg hand towards the end.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you play Double or nothing for lower variance.

R

Rishlin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh yes i play those to get the fpps up