Best books for tournament

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just run a search whith key words "best book for tournament" in the forum.And the result give me no apprent threads which have the title with these key words.I just post this thread for future convenience.
Let me try first:
Kill Phill
Kill everyone

What do you think?

T

tohos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just started reading first book about poker "Kill Everyone" a few days ago. About 1/3rd through. Very good book. It contains high level concepts from professionals. Definitely should give it a read if you have good foundations and concepts of tournament poker and want to take it a step further.

"Kill Phil" is also written by some of the same guys that wrote "Kill Everyone" if I'm not wrong(sorry if I am, not too sure). "Kill Everyone" is kind of a followup from "Kill Phil". I haven't read "Kill Phil" yet so can't say much about it but it should be good I think. Gonna read it after "Kill Everyone"

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on holdem are very good especialy for beginners to intermediate

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have just run a search whith key words "best book for tournament" in the forum.And the result give me no apprent threads which have the title with these key words.I just post this thread for future convenience.
Let me try first:
Kill Phill
Kill everyone

What do you think?
those are both good.

Other's I'd suggest (although if you try 'poker book' searches on CC you will find LOTS).

In this order >
Harrington On Hold'em Vol. 1 - Tournament play
Harrington On Hold'em Vol.2 - End game

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time Vol.1
Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time Vol.2

Raiser's Edge (< this is basically the sequel to Kill Everyone series).

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I so need to get a book, I have always though what book should I get Phil's little green book or the harrington's book :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I so need to get a book, I have always though what book should I get Phil's little green book or the harrington's book :)
Get both.
Here (canada, B.C.) you can order these up at the library & they will get them for you via an 'inter-library book loan'. (often only takes a few days to get them.. sometimes a few weeks. And only able to keep book out for 2wks.).
I don't think I'd bother purchasing them ... although you can get them for pretty cheap these days online (< $10). If you really like them & think you might want to read them over again, you could always purchase them after taking them out from the library.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Get both.
Here (Canada, B.C.) you can order these up at the library & they will get them for you via an 'inter-library book loan'. (often only takes a few days to get them.. sometimes a few weeks. And only able to keep book out for 2wks.).
I don't think I'd bother purchasing them ... although you can get them for pretty cheap these days online (< $10). If you really like them & think you might want to read them over again, you could always purchase them after taking them out from the library.

Thanks, I will do that. :)

J

jokersad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on Hold'em: Volume I: Strategic Play ISBN 1-880685-33-7 (2004)
Harrington on Hold'em: Volume II: The Endgame ISBN 1-880685-35-3 (2005)
Harrington on Hold'em: Volume III: The Workbook ISBN 1-880685-36-1 (2006)

Amen

S

Stretch84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For beginners, intermediate, and advanced players interested in learning tournaments I highly suggest the Harrington collection and then the Winning Poker Tournaments One hand at a time. Both titles have a series of 3 volumes.:D

R

ricksterrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think watching video's is way better but I liked Johnathan Little's secrets to professional tournament poker book.

olliejjc16

olliejjc16

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Tournaments, Vol. 1 is another good alternative for MTT play!

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are some good tournament poker books for you. You know about 'Kill Phil' and 'Kill Everyone', and the others that I think you should read are
"Harrington on Hold'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments Vol. 1 & 2" by Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie
"Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker Vol. 1 & 2" by Jonathan Little
"Poker Tournament Strategies" by Sylvester Suzuki
"Tournament Poker for Advanced Players" by David Sklansky
"Every Hand Revealed" by Gus Hansen

I hope that these books will help you to play better on the tournaments and win some really big money.
Good Luck :D

R

RaisingYa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For tournaments Harrington on Holdem were good reads for me. For limit cash games the David Slansky books are solid. I have not read the kill books.

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm reading Harrington On Holdem Vol. I and it's very understandable and definitely is a very good book.

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Harrington on Hold'em series is great. I go back to the work books fairly often as little brush ups. I also suggest Phil Gordon's Little Green Book I thought it was very good at reminding me of over arching concepts. I just started Killer Poker No Limit by John Vorhaus really like it so far.

N

Nylan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a tournament book also in other language?
Dutch plss

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My favorite is "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players" by David Sklansky.

V

vatopkr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try with
PHIL GORDON'S LITTLE GREEN BOOK.
It's a great book for tournaments

Last edited:
jhonihgrass

jhonihgrass

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the best is The Raiser's Edge – Tournament Poker Strategies

A

anderson1313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
besides the books carefully observe a tournament from start to finish its greatly improves your game

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like several others have said, my Harrington on Hold'em Volumes #1 & #2 are great books.

Some of it is outdated, but it gets you to understand what's happening at the table. Once you understand things like the gap concept, "M," and the various transition zones you can adapt. Those books are a great foundation.
I read them several times each. Well, more than that. If I got any question wrong at the end of each section I'd force myself to go back and re-read the section, so some parts of the books have been read half a dozen times.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am reading the book 'For Richer For Poorer' by Victoria Coren.. It is poker book written as a novel. Very interesting hand analysis.

M

Magneto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read the German books like poker with system 1 +2, can anyone tell me if the are good, whether it was a good idea to read?